RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from a teacher
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
Re: Hello from a teacher

Quote:Anyways, let me start off by saying that I'm anti-school, not anti-education. I feel that the idea of education needs to be separated from the idea of school, and that new alternate methods of educating need to be used, so as to prevent the one-size-fits-all school systems we have today. I've often seen administrators and teachers in schools pay lip service to "different learning styles", but never quite seeming to grasp what that really means. There aren't just students who learn by doing, who learn by seeing, or learn by copying. There are students who do best when given some freedom to figure things out for themselves, students who do best with rote memorization, students who do best when left alone with a library and an internet connection. There are some that just want to work for a living, and they need a vocational program. There are some who want to become academics, and they need a high quality academic program. And there's plenty of people in between who need something to fit their needs. The education system must accommodate all kinds of learning styles, otherwise it's just going to keep on failing.

That's awesome stuff. If the government didn't regulate us so much on what and how we teach we could do much more along those lines. As it stands right now, some teaching gigs, especially reading, are so regulated it's almost like working in fast food. They tell you that the kids have to use centers, use certain books, use certain computer programs for exact amounts of time. They say 20 minutes on this, 20 minutes on that, and even tell you you're breaking the law if you ignore it. And of course, the people who manufacture these books and computer programs that are aligned with state testing standards have lobbyists that campaign for a system that forces schools to buy their products. In America, it's all driven by greed. Reading is the most corrupt but all subjects suffer from this.

At this point, it's quite difficult to even get to take the kids out to the symphony or to a nature preserve for the day.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
12-06-2009 04:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Quote:I don't know. John Taylor Gatto was a teacher for like 26 years, and then quit because he felt he was doing more harm than good. Grace Llewellyn (I can never spell her name)... was also a teacher, and quit because she felt that unschooling is far superior to anything a teacher can do in school.

Wow. I hadn't even heard of these people but quick Google searches make me realize I have some reading to do. Thank you.

Captain Beefheart
12-06-2009 04:14 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

thought criminal Wrote:Welcome to ss cancer. Don't let the hostile fools let you down, there are plenty of sane people here such as I. Hopefully you can find the time to post on here regularly. we have had a few teachers in the past but they always seem to disappear after a while which is quite a shame because I enjoy seeing things from the perspective of the other side (that being teachers).

I don't mind a little hate. It's healthy. And thanks to all who have already welcomed me and thanks in advance to any more kindness that might get dropped.

Captain Beefheart
12-06-2009 04:18 PM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

I'm always a bit late to welcoming threads.

Welcome to the forums! Nice to have a teacher who agrees with us. Yes
12-07-2009 05:17 AM
Amortisatie Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Welcome cancer, I really don't have much to say, but try and enjoy yourself Biggrin

[Image: spooky-1.jpg]

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
12-07-2009 05:21 AM
username01462781 Offline
Pariah

Given 8 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Welcome, if you're not a troll.

GTFO, if you're are a troll.
12-07-2009 08:27 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Linki Wrote:Welcome, if you're not a troll.

This. It's still suspicious that you know what a troll is...

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
12-07-2009 08:31 AM
Spot-ify Offline
Pariah

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:

Just because he/she is a teacher he/she automatically is not allowed to know any internet terminology?

Welcome if you're not a troll anyway.

I used to be "The circus" as I forgot my login, but then hey-ho I remembered it.
12-07-2009 09:27 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:

It really is amazing that teachers aren't transported off the planet as soon as school gets out but we aren't. I guess you think the term 'troll' is some really hip lingua but check this out: a teacher specific Internet forum that uses the term 'troll'. This is really wild:

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/show ... hp?t=90831

Quote:Amanda
A to Z Teacher Stuff Owner Join Date: Feb 2001
Missouri
Former K/1 Teacher

Today's Trolling

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't usually publicly discuss all this and further feed the trolls, but just to clear up any confusion, I'll list the accounts that were created today by the same person.

LiveLaughLove26
JMcDonald
Ms.Sandra
LillianTaylor
Peace&Love

In the future, just try to report the post(s) and IGNORE and it will not only make it less "fun" for the troll to play here, but it will make the moderators and my job much easier when it comes to cleaning house. Additionally, our board will be a lot more welcoming. It would be a shame if someone were wrongly accused (which appears to have happened today at least in one case).

I don't really care if you think I'm a troll but it does offend me that you think being teacher means I wouldn't know the meaning of this word. We're not as different as you seem to want to believe. If more young students would realise this we could maybe tear down some walls.

Captain Beefheart
12-07-2009 12:55 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

TheCancer Wrote:I don't really care if you think I'm a troll but it does offend me that you think being teacher means I wouldn't know the meaning of this word. We're not as different as you seem to want to believe. If more young students would realize this we could maybe tear down some walls.
Fix'd.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but every teacher I knew hated computers and the internet. So, if you're a teacher open minded enough to actually use the internet, then applause for you. You're the coolest teacher I've ever known. If you're a troll, then burn in hell. I'm a very spiteful girl... Laugh

I could see where you learned it if you go on teacher forums though.

Faith o' Meter
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
12-07-2009 01:18 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:
TheCancer Wrote:I don't really care if you think I'm a troll but it does offend me that you think being teacher means I wouldn't know the meaning of this word. We're not as different as you seem to want to believe. If more young students would realize this we could maybe tear down some walls.
Fix'd.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but every teacher I knew hated computers and the internet. So, if you're a teacher open minded enough to actually use the internet, then applause for you. You're the coolest teacher I've ever known. If you're a troll, then burn in hell. I'm a very spiteful girl... Laugh

I could see where you learned it if you go on teacher forums though.

Are you finished with school now? If so, it's my guess that you really didn't have any idea what your teachers were like outside of school. I actually hate using computers at work but they make me. 'Using technology effectively' is a part of the evaulation program my job depends on. I prefer going 'old-school' so to speak and sticking with just books, pencils and paper.

Captain Beefheart
12-07-2009 01:32 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

TheCancer Wrote:I prefer going 'old-school' so to speak and sticking with just books, pencils and paper.
But, by the time we're in the work force, there's going to be no need for books, pencils and paper. It's like ye olden teachers saying "I prefer going 'old-school', we don't need pencils and paper, we only need to know how to write our names."

We're not going to be using pencil and paper for much longer. I type faster than I write, personally.

Faith o' Meter
12-07-2009 01:37 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 101 thank(s) in 74 post(s)

Welcome here, and if TrueAnarchist comes around spewing his "all techers r evil ur trollin" bullshit, just ignore him.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
12-07-2009 01:50 PM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

The Desert Fox Wrote:Welcome here, and if TrueAnarchist comes around spewing his "all techers r evil ur trollin" bullshit, just ignore him.

Yeah. Ignore any member called " TrueAnarchist "

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
12-07-2009 01:56 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:
TheCancer Wrote:I prefer going 'old-school' so to speak and sticking with just books, pencils and paper.
But, by the time we're in the work force, there's going to be no need for books, pencils and paper. It's like ye olden teachers saying "I prefer going 'old-school', we don't need pencils and paper, we only need to know how to write our names."

We're not going to be using pencil and paper for much longer. I type faster than I write, personally.

Maybe so. I just think it's more stylish going old-school. You're going to learn how to use technology on your own anyway. I would rather teach you to appreciate Henry David Thoreau, Zen Buddhism and the beauty of silence; but you're going to win this one anyway. I just think it's sad. I don't want to teach you how to be a good worker. I want to teach you to be a good thinker.

Captain Beefheart
12-07-2009 02:13 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Pieman Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Welcome here, and if TrueAnarchist comes around spewing his "all techers r evil ur trollin" bullshit, just ignore him.

If he's really into anarchism then I like him already.

Captain Beefheart
12-07-2009 02:13 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 101 thank(s) in 74 post(s)

TheCancer Wrote:
Pieman Wrote:

Oh no. He thinks that if anarchy happens the whole world will automatically be at peace. It would be great if it did, but c'mon.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
12-07-2009 02:16 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

TheCancer Wrote:
CrayolaColours Wrote:

Maybe so. I just think it's more stylish going old-school. You're going to learn how to use technology on your own anyway. I would rather teach you to appreciate Henry David Thoreau, Zen Buddhism and the beauty of silence; but you're going to win this one anyway. I just think it's sad. I don't want to teach you how to be a good worker. I want to teach you to be a good thinker.
You know when you told me that there were teachers that understood what trolling was. Same for teenagers. I have a deep respect for poets, and one of my best friends is Buddhist. Weren't you paying attention? We're anti school. Not anti learning.

Also, an anarchist teacher? Then doesn't your job go against what you believe in?

Faith o' Meter
12-07-2009 02:21 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I wouldn't go so far as to say I believe that, but I do think it's a really cool thing to believe. So if someone starts talking like that around me I start thinking 'Oh this guy's alright.' I'm glad people have hope like that. I don't want to crush it by arguing with him. I want to foster it into an even stronger vision.

Captain Beefheart
12-07-2009 02:22 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Foster... why do I dislike that word so much?

If only anarchy could work.

Faith o' Meter
12-07-2009 02:26 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I'm not an anarchist but yes in many ways my job does go against what I believe in. And when I said you I didn't mean you I meant people still in school, in general. Lots of teenagers know far more about literature than I ever will. I may not be real smart but I'm smart enough to know I'm not that smart.

Quote:Foster... why do I dislike that word so much?

Because it makes me sound arrogant.

Captain Beefheart
12-07-2009 02:29 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

TheCancer Wrote:Because it makes me sound arrogant.
Must be it. Laugh
And also, I am still in school. I have no other choice in the matter. We're not all idiots, we just barely have the energy to learn outside of school.

Faith o' Meter
12-07-2009 03:00 PM
~Mystery~ Offline
Fanatic

Given 22 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

A Hindu Monk at my school sells me a Bhagavad gita, and a teacher in my anti-school forum, must be my lucky day. Biggrin

People act unaware that the human body is a walking pharmacy![Image: rolleyes.gif]~David Icke~
Religion was invented to keep the poor from harrasing the rich"~Napoleon Bonaparte~
Do As Thou Wilt Shall Be The Whole of The Law! ~The Secret Order of Thelema~
"Respect goes to those who do not want it" ~TrueAnarchist~
"The only limitations that a person has are those that are self-imposed." ~Unknown!~
“Attraction is an emotion.~Dr. Alex~
“Life is an illusion albeit a very persistent one” ~Albert Einstein

I Am A Messenger From The Seduction Community!
Mint Member
12-07-2009 03:15 PM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

CrayolaColours Wrote:We're not all idiots, we just barely have the energy to learn outside of school.

That's BECAUSE of school. If it had different reforms, maybe we would.

The great ones are those who learn how to do this.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
12-07-2009 08:00 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

YOU SUCK CANCER!

-YOU MADE RANDOM_NAME'S MUM CRY!

GO FUCKING DIE!!

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
12-07-2009 08:57 PM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

TrueAnarchist Wrote:YOU SUCK CANCER!

GO FUCKING DIE!!

I see what you did thar.

12-07-2009 09:06 PM
Sociopath Offline
©o℗yright Infringe®

Given 160 thank(s) in 104 post(s)

Pieman Wrote:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:YOU SUCK CANCER!

GO FUCKING DIE!!

I see what you did thar.
[img]http://www.roflemo.com/images/emo/O_RLY-EmoRLY.jpg[/img]

Hidden stuff:
TRIGGER WARNING: THIS TRIGGER WARNING CONTAINS TRIGGER WARNINGS!

Dear Tumblrites: Despite your wrongly self-diagnosed PTSD, no line of scientific evidence suggests people can be triggered over the internet. Triggering works through the senses (i.e. smell, taste, touch, vision, hearing.) but it goes through real time; if you're not experiencing it in real life as it's ACTUALLY HAPPENING in your ACTUAL life, you CANNOT be triggered. The only exception to this is if you have a seizure, but then again, that's triggered by epilepsy (i.e. rapidly-changing flashing lights) NOT PTSD. Remembering a bad incident is NOT the same thing as having a flashback. When you remember, you think; when you flashback, you feel.

#HashTagsAreForIdiots

[Image: violator_blackbg_110x32.gif]
Max Stirnir Wrote:"In the time of spirits thoughts grew till they overtopped my head, whose offspring they yet were; they hovered about me and convulsed me like fever-phantasies -- an awful power. The thoughts had become corporeal on their own account, were ghosts, e. g. God, Emperor, Pope, Fatherland, etc. If I destroy their corporeity, then I take them back into mine, and say: "I alone am corporeal." And now I take the world as what it is to me, as mine, as my property; I refer all to myself." The Ego and Its Own, pg. 15
Charles Manson Wrote:“Look down at me and you see a fool;
look up at me and you see a god;
look straight at me and you see yourself”
HeartofShadows Wrote:"Life is nothing more than a druggie trying to get their quick fix of happiness while dealing with the harsh withdrawal of reality"
Osip Mandelstam Wrote:"I divide all of world literature into authorized and unauthorized works. The former are all trash; the latter--stolen air. I want to spit in the face of every writer who first obtains permission and then writes." The Fourth Prose, 1930.
Lukas Foss Wrote:That is why the analogy of stealing does not work. With a thief, we want to know how much money he stole, and from whom. With the artist it is not how much he took and from whom, but what he did with it.
PIRATE Pirate2 MEMBER
 Pirate Join the crew!Pirate
12-07-2009 09:09 PM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

TrueAnarchist Wrote:[img]http://www.roflemo.com/images/emo/O_RLY-EmoRLY.jpg[/img]

[img]http://rlv.zcache.com/vintage_ya_rly_owl_mug-p1686140795778221202ln8n_400.jpg[/img]

12-07-2009 09:19 PM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

TheCancer Wrote:I don't want to teach you how to be a good worker. I want to teach you to be a good thinker.
Good to hear. Very, very good to hear.
12-08-2009 12:11 AM
Colin Offline
Pariah

Given 14 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

TheCancer Wrote:
Pieman Wrote:

Oh no no no no no no. And I'll say it again in Spanish: no. Avoid him.

PLEASE, TELL US JUSTIN
[Image: ubd5511.png]
12-08-2009 03:28 AM