RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Millenial Bug Curse
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Millenial Bug Curse

This isn't any copypasta, or fiction. This is something that's a mean way of reminding me that things in this world are not a random coincidence. Because, who would call a computer failure on a certain day every year, a coincidence?

It all started when I've had my second computer. A flat Dell, 400 MHz, crappy graphics, and most important - a barely alive HDD. I recently got a net connection by then, and chose to celebrate the new year while fooling around online, instead of firing dangerous stuff outside.
I believe it was maybe 4 years ago. The HDD just had to break down on the 31st of December, midnight. No apparent reason, even though it's been diagnosed as mechanical damage.
I spent the whole night like a dog, in a cold room trying to get this thing to work. I chose to stay home only to do that, and yet such a mean failure occurs.

But the fun has just started.
Throughout the next year, I bought a 40GB for my own computer and decided to make it a Linux machine(#4 already, and the nearly identical #3 belonging to my brother was hooked to the net cable).
During the year, I managed to develop an online relationship. Memorize this for later. My brother has been in trouble with his current girlfriend - that's also significant. Now here's what happened on that day.

- The idiot brother infected the computer with W32.Virut, a totally game-over worm as I found out later.

- He left for a new year party, only to be dumped before everyone.

- After a nice surprise date with my own sweetie, I noticed that computer is acting slow and weird - already after midnight.

- I was trying to fix it, only to see the antivirus deleting system files. The thing was totally out of order for now.

- At some time before my brother came back, I swapped the machines and hooked up mine to the wire to have something running until that one gets fixed. A real mistake, as I found out later.

- When he came back, he was emo berserk. It was just a flash, he threw me out of the room, destroyed my computer because his didn't work(and I didn't have time to tell him why) and left through the window. I was left for a month with nothing. The relationship was saved, even though by a miracle I must say. Involving me running around the city in light clothes in a -5 C snowstorm.

Next year, I got my net connection cut. Apparently, it was a setup made to look like an accident, done by my mother who wanted to get rid of my love. She succeeded. I spent over a year with a wish to murder everyone, and stealing a wi-fi connection from the neighborhood.

Now, my life has been rebuilt to a small extent of what it used to be a year earlier. I've managed to back up all the ways, I have over 4 functional units in case, and a wi-fi receiver along with passwords of everyone I can connect to here. I'll post here from now on a regular basis every hour, to see how far I will survive on this day. I know that 31-XII has been shattering my life in any way possible, and I just can't fucking wait today. I'm well equipped, prepared for anything and going to try and break the curse.

It's showtime.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
01-01-2010 12:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Re: Millenial Bug Curse

First challenge showed up - and I was NOT ready for this one.

Apparently, my bro's staying home, and what's worse - he's inviting a buddy over. That guy is like... uhh, an opposite of me, a total asshole and the first person I'd suspect of trying to fuck everything up for the lulz of it. He could even go as far as pull off a life-shattering prank on me. For example, using my computer to break up with my love. I WILL need security. Going to have supplies, lots of coffee, and a kitchen knife for self defense. Not leaving this seat today, and I feel it's gonna be a loooooong night. Also, it will be a miracle if they don't try to shove alcohol down my throat.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
01-01-2010 01:25 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Good luck with your mission, then?

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
01-01-2010 01:36 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

I'll thank you if I make it alive.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
01-01-2010 01:44 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

I've had alcohol proposed already three times. Can't these people have fun without drugging themselves?

By the way, they're watching Las Vegas Parano. Such a manifest of their consumption based culture.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
01-01-2010 08:20 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

I hope you succeed. Try piezo buzzers, it will drive them totally insane and make them get out. Especially if you feed them enough power.
How in the world did you get a virus in Linux? What distro are you using, or did you "convert" to linux later? Win32.Virut doesn't sound like a Linux virus.

[Image: glorious666.png]
01-01-2010 01:16 PM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Oh well. Quite a bump, but - I wonder why over the whole month I can't seem to install any system, it freezes or crashes or something while I'm trying... still stuck with this old hard drive. Yes, I did attempt more than 10 times at total using different OSes and install disks, as well as scanned the thing for errors. Nothing seems out of order... it just won't let me.

And about the worm, it was at my bro's machine. Read more carefully. The linux was the one smashed later, when I connected it to be there for the time being.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
01-21-2010 10:21 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

New machine time.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
01-21-2010 10:25 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Loxor Wrote:New machine hard drive time.
Fix'd
Buy a new HD, and an OS such as Wolvix. It's lightweight yet useful.

[Image: glorious666.png]
01-21-2010 11:04 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

I have a new HD, not supported by this old motherboard. My new machine is almost complete, I need the power supply and CPU cooling now.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
01-21-2010 11:22 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Cool story bro.
01-23-2010 09:38 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Fuck you, you'd be pissed too if you had to reinstall every second day just because SOMETHING happens. Not even sure why does stuff fail so much, apparently it JUST FUCKING LIKES TO None

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
01-23-2010 09:44 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Yeah, MM doesn't make that many helpful non meme posts.

Wastin' time
01-23-2010 09:46 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Loxor Wrote:Yeah, MM doesn't make that many helpful non meme posts.

You haven't seen my other posts.
01-23-2010 10:19 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Memento Mori Wrote:You haven't seen my other posts.

I have.

Memento Mori Wrote:BUMP

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
01-23-2010 10:20 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

I have no desire to.

Wastin' time
01-23-2010 10:20 AM