RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happiness
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Happiness

Help me find the path to a happy life.

What makes you truly happy?

Hidden stuff:
What makes me happy is building things and exploring, and all the running, jumping, and climbing that that entails. Another thing that makes me happy -- and this might be the most important one -- is making other people happy.

For some reason, however, I don't do any of these things very often. Maybe I'm too lazy, or too poor, or I live in the wrong sort of environment. Maybe I just suck. Gimme some tips if you got 'em.
In a certain sense, video games make me happy, but it is not very fulfilling, and, afterward, often feels like a waste of time. This is not the kind of happy I am looking for.
01-13-2010 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Re: Happiness

Immersing myself in other worlds. Yeah, yeah, call me escapist, call me not wanting to live in the real world, but it's fascinating to forget about ourselves and this shitty world we live in and put ourselves in other people's skins and experience life as they experience it. So I love books and games. Even songs that are about someone's personal life and not just about a general message (even though I love those too.) Oh, and I never judged myself for enjoying videogames -- I get huge bouts of nostalgia after finishing a game that I really loved.

Oppositely, I'd love to travel and see more of nature, but I don't have money or the ability to go anywhere. I'm tethered between huge gray blocks of boring.

I love creating stuff, whatever it may be. Stories, designs, maybe even songs and drawings in the future. But I have a lot of self-doubt and laziness, and it usually gets between me and creating stuff.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
01-13-2010 07:20 PM
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Faby Wrote:I love creating stuff, whatever it may be.
Love is important. I think that love is what truly makes a person happy. All kinds of love. Compassionate love, romantic love, and the love of doing certain things. Perhaps even the love of a video game. Razz

I don't know, though. Do you think that a person who hates most other people is happy? It seems to me that they aren't. For instance, look at the users of this forum. Most of them are unhappy, and too often I see posts condemning humanity or expressing a lack of faith in it. Although, these observations could quite possibly be unrelated.

I should also ask this: What do you love?

Hidden stuff:
I'd like to say that I love everything and everyone. That may or may not be accurate. I could just be fooling myself into thinking that. Time will tell, maybe.
01-13-2010 07:45 PM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

For me?

I love walking around some woods somewhere, trying to find anything interesting, I also love just to sit their imagining what would this be like if this happened.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
01-13-2010 11:42 PM
random_name Offline
Fanatic

Given 15 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

1) Swimming
2) Reading
3) Talking to my friends

Hidden stuff:
"A 'no' uttered from deepest conviction is better and greater than a 'yes' merely uttered to please, or what is worse, to avoid trouble." - Mahatma Gandhi

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-Ben Franklin

"when I was a kid I used to pray for a bicycle. then I realized that god doesn't work that way. so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness."
"I would rather die for something I believe in than live for anything else."
"What is the task of higher education? To make a man into a machine. What are the means employed? He is taught how to suffer being bored." – F W Nietzsche
[Image: s-event.png]
01-14-2010 12:33 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Ah,

SS makes me happy.

Wastin' time
01-14-2010 02:38 AM
FindTheLight Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

If you take any advice from this forum, let it be this.

Read 'The monk who sold his ferrari'.

I've already recommended it to someone on this site and what you are asking in particular it deals with SPECIFICALLY.

It is about a lawyer who journeys to India because his life is not fullfilled, he ends up searching for a lost group of ancient people who know the secrets to lifelong happiness and fullment of life.

The book teaches you these things, I think it is also a true tale. READ IT! Honestly. It teaches how to be fullfilled and how to find your life's purpose, eventually reaching happiness and complete satisfaction with everything.

[Image: 110.jpg]
01-14-2010 03:03 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." - Mahatma Gandhi

I think this is a very true quote.

I am happiest when I'm being true to myself, when I'm doing things that I know are making some sort of a tangible difference to at least one person, when I've accomplished something, and when I'm around people I love.

But to get back to the quote - I don't think it's possible to be genuinely happy if you're not completely honest with yourself, because then you can't be true to yourself... and you can't be in harmony with yourself.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-14-2010 08:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Happiness....is a warm gun.

On a more serious note, I feel very hesitant to define happiness, as if that might take away part of its allure somehow.

But simple things tend to make me the happiest. Sleeping in on the weekend, reading an excellent passage from a book, getting a smile from the ones that I love. All good cause for happy-making. =)
01-14-2010 11:32 AM
Pieman Offline
Pie Deity

Given 28 thank(s) in 23 post(s)

Happiness...What is it exactly?

A word?
An emotion?
A presence of being?
Or something completely different...

Whatever it may be, it entices us all. That warm..fluttery feeling we get at pleasant moments. What personally makes me happy, is Friends, Music, and Kindness. It's one of the greatest feelings in the world..Happiness is what it is. We define it, It defines us.

" I never knew until that moment how bad it could hurt to lose something you never really had. " ~From the television show The Wonder Years
01-14-2010 12:13 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

One of the biggest reasons for my unhappiness right now is lack of freedom. It's being somewhat difficult to create things - more than it would be if I were free. They constantly give me orders and take too much of my time that I could be using for better things, such as composing.

I like to be alone, outside, in the wilderness. This hasn't happened in years. It gives me a feeling of freedom, to be able to just run around, to be able to go where I want, without anyone screaming at me in the background to not get away.

[Image: glorious666.png]
01-14-2010 12:47 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

This site

Reading

Stress-relieving video games

Freedom-just going somewhere, exploring neighborhoods and streets that I don't know, walking in the woods, etc.

Airsofting. There's no parents to yell at you "WATCH YER LANGUAGE" or anything like that. There are some rules (eye protection, call your hits, etc.) but you can swear all you like, call people names, shoot at people, and just have fun. The only true flaw is the fact that a lot of the people are ageists.

Guns. I don't think I need to explain this one, but putting a 1/2 inch hole in a 2x4 at 80 yards with a Springfield '03 is one of the most satisfying things I've ever done.

Sleep. 'Nuff said.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
01-14-2010 04:24 PM
Zaroyu Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I agree with the people who said love makes you happy. I have trouble really hating things unless I know I could be doing something better in my life if they weren't around. I think it helps to have a mission. While some people say freedom is happiness, it seems to me that freedom leads to boredom. If you can give yourself and take on a mission of a sort to achieve something you think will make you happy, you can focus yourself and put effort in to a possibly fun project. Even if there is pain involved in the process, the end result and feeling of success should be something to live for.

"Truth cannot be changed by beautiful words or false pretensions." - Hiko Seijurou
01-14-2010 04:39 PM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Zaroyu Wrote:I agree with the people who said love makes you happy. I have trouble really hating things unless I know I could be doing something better in my life if they weren't around. I think it helps to have a mission. While some people say freedom is happiness, it seems to me that freedom leads to boredom. If you can give yourself and take on a mission of a sort to achieve something you think will make you happy, you can focus yourself and put effort in to a possibly fun project. Even if there is pain involved in the process, the end result and feeling of success should be something to live for.

I think you mean more, free time, and, what would you know about love hmm?

Wastin' time
01-14-2010 04:41 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Faby Wrote:Immersing myself in other worlds. Yeah, yeah, call me escapist, call me not wanting to live in the real world, but it's fascinating to forget about ourselves and this shitty world we live in and put ourselves in other people's skins and experience life as they experience it. So I love books and games. Even songs that are about someone's personal life and not just about a general message (even though I love those too.) Oh, and I never judged myself for enjoying videogames -- I get huge bouts of nostalgia after finishing a game that I really loved.

Oppositely, I'd love to travel and see more of nature, but I don't have money or the ability to go anywhere. I'm tethered between huge gray blocks of boring.

I love creating stuff, whatever it may be. Stories, designs, maybe even songs and drawings in the future. But I have a lot of self-doubt and laziness, and it usually gets between me and creating stuff.

This..

I love reading and playing video games as they allow to escape the current world, to see things through other prospectives and sometimes to feel more powerful then I really am.

Sometimes I get the urge to create my own world and during that time I write on people with the urge to do things I would want to do and make them aware of things around them but with them they lacxk the helplessness I have.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
01-15-2010 12:05 AM
IllusoryDeath Away
~become away~

Given 8 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Faby Wrote:Immersing myself in other worlds. Yeah, yeah, call me escapist, call me not wanting to live in the real world, but it's fascinating to forget about ourselves and this shitty world we live in and put ourselves in other people's skins and experience life as they experience it. So I love books and games. Even songs that are about someone's personal life and not just about a general message (even though I love those too.) Oh, and I never judged myself for enjoying videogames -- I get huge bouts of nostalgia after finishing a game that I really loved.

Quite this. So much THIS it's, like, thisy-this this.

Believe we would call ourselves 'dreamers', yes?
01-15-2010 07:58 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

+1

(I've contributed infinite amounts of wisdom just now)

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
01-15-2010 08:04 AM
jose Offline
Revolutionary

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

my friends. even a kid in haiti can be happy with friends.

democracy died when compulsory schooling was born.

[Image: ubd5511.png]
02-01-2010 01:16 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

I'm most happy when I'm lost in the moment, (and it's an enjoyable one) with no worries, only concentrating on that one thing.

Wastin' time
02-01-2010 02:28 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  (Sam Harris) The Happiness Experiment Desu 1 2,801 06-05-2013 03:07 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  5 reasons money can buy happiness Miller0700 3 3,218 04-23-2012 03:50 PM
Last Post: ireneB