RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being treated equally. After the revolution...
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Being treated equally. After the revolution...

As seen in other revolutions and rebellions, even if we do succeed, there will still be discrimination. People won't magically change there minds about us just because legally they are supposed to accept us as people. Frankly I think they will treat us like crap for quite some time after we succeed. Although does this really matter? Do we give a shit what they think about us? Well, will the police still think were troubled? Will owners of stores still try to ensure we don't steel anything just because were kids? Will people still talk about kids being irresponsible pieces of shit? Ya. Unless it's outlawed to forbid children from things, private company's will probably continue the discrimination and make sure we don't get equal treatment.

I think... I'll probably end up writing a longer article in the future.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
01-20-2010 02:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)
Re: Being treated equally. After the revolution...

Absentinsomniac Wrote:As seen in other revolutions and rebellions, even if we do succeed, there will still be discrimination. People won't magically change there minds about us just because legally they are supposed to accept us as people. Frankly I think they will treat us like crap for quite some time after we succeed. Although does this really matter? Do we give a shit what they think about us? Well, will the police still think were troubled? Will owners of stores still try to ensure we don't steel anything just because were kids? Will people still talk about kids being irresponsible pieces of shit? Ya. Unless it's outlawed to forbid children from things, private company's will probably continue the discrimination and make sure we don't get equal treatment.

I think... I'll probably end up writing a longer article in the future.
I agree, but we should not let that stop us. Of course, it is possible to make everything much better, like it has happened already. The world will always be imperfect, new problems will always be popping out but we should try to fix them as much as possible.

[Image: glorious666.png]
01-20-2010 03:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Yeah, a lot of them will probably hate us even more. But at least we can get rid of the actual legal injustices. They can insult me all they want as long as my future kids are allowed to vote and aren't forced into a fucked up school system.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-20-2010 03:49 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Ya, although it will be irritating. I'm very optimistic about the outcome of the future. (sometimes)

Blog I post to now:

01-20-2010 03:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

Currently:

Youth: legally handicapped against adults, but still don't technically have to obey.

Adults: don't have to treat us equally, nor are they required to by law.

It's still worth trying, because if we 'win', at least we'll be on even ground:

Both: don't technically have to tolerate eachother, but have equal legal expectations.

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
01-20-2010 05:05 PM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

You realize that it'll take an armed conflict to overthrow the factory of idiots? While it's paradoxical, because none of the products of mass schooling want a revolution. They WANT to be on the bottom, and grow a complex making them abuse everyone once they grow up. This is a loop of fail, and needs serious and violent action.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
01-20-2010 11:21 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Being hated on is better than actually having no rights. Eventually people might get used to it, so having rights is always win.
01-21-2010 02:27 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Ceiling Cat Wrote:...
You realize that it'll take an armed conflict to overthrow the factory of idiots? While it's paradoxical, because none of the products of mass schooling want a revolution. They WANT to be on the bottom, and grow a complex making them abuse everyone once they grow up. This is a loop of fail, and needs serious and violent action.

In armed conflict, at this point, we would fail. Theres no way we would over-throw an armed forces any time soon. The easiest way to gain rights, in my opinion, would be to spread the word and get it out there. NYRA has already done some things that have helped and I think were on the right track. I doubt armed conflict will solve anything. I wouldn't mind physically fighting but It doesn't seem like the best way to achieve our goals. (i think.)

Blog I post to now:

01-21-2010 06:11 AM
SuperiorDiplomat Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Being treated equally after the revolution..

Well we have to "win" first.. and that will take more then what we're doing now..

And going off "making a better future for our kids" and what not. At this rate they will
have to be in the "fight" also.

But anyways fuck what they think (after the revolution) if we act like a bunch of pusses after the revolution is over then it will just prove how "childish" we really are. So yes with judgment comes the ones who don't give a shit about the judgment being thrown upon then. And we need more of those people. I wonder what kind of opportunity's this will open for our youth! Biggrin

http://www.launchpadmovement.com/ "done as fuck"

Carla, Carla, Carla... You whore.
01-21-2010 06:26 AM
McGee! Offline
Defender of...

Given 10 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

Best thing to do is to take and keep responsibility. That's a big part of what this is about.

Sociopath Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Colbert is awesome.
/threaditude.
Generation Y Cuban blog-English blog
Hidden stuff:
hewhodestroysall Wrote:Honestly I never figured the point of the esrb.
Point is you can't censor reality.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Abe Fortas, Tinker v. Des Moines (1969) Wrote:In our system, state-operated schools may not be enclaves of totalitarianism. School officials do not possess absolute authority over their students. Students in school as well as out of school are "persons" under our Constitution."
Rebelnerd Wrote:Human rights are being violated by US law enforcement. This is what the media is here for, you're supposed to be the watchdogs! You're supposed to stand up for the downtrodden, not belittle them as though all their problems amount to nothing more than some angry glares toward parents and sabotaging their computers.
I've seen so much shit done to youth and for some reason, this has made me angrier than I've felt in years. Abuse and oppression happens all over the world. It's a terrible reality of modern society, but we've all accepted that it happens and we're doing what we can to fight it and build a better world.
But this...this mindless, condescending disrespect toward people who have no legal voice with which to defend themselves, this reduction of parents' betrayal into a cheap crack about kids being computer-savvy...it's like watching a surgeon joke about life insurance while his patient bleeds to death on the operating table. The media's job is to protect society from oppression and they've drawn a clear line between the people worth protecting and the people that don't matter. How can they people sleep at night?

You're a journalist. DO. YOUR. FUCKING. JOB.

(04-28-2010 08:17 AM)Liquid Wrote:  Laws never seem to help people fight School. Laws only matter if the students are braking them...

(12-03-2011 07:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Solution to all these problems: don't fuck people you can't negotiate with in a civilized manner.
(02-09-2012 02:14 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  The only solution is democratic self-paced education where students can excel in what they are good at and work on what their not if necessary, AT THEIR OWN DAMN PACE IN THEIR OWN DAMN WAY.

Don't Board the Censor Ship
01-21-2010 07:33 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Yea. If we take responsibility of our own lives adults will have to accept us as our own people. This will offset problems with getting jobs though. If all of the kids are getting jobs along-side the adults we won't be able to get jobs...

If that's the kind of responsibility your talking about.

Blog I post to now:

01-21-2010 08:16 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Many do, but it still isn't seen like that stereotypically, and kids are basically taught to be irresponsible by too much dependence.

[Image: glorious666.png]
01-21-2010 11:03 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

I don't care if someone calls me "kid" as long as I have the same rights as them. Simple.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
01-21-2010 11:39 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Ya, I guess It doesn't matter as long as we have the same rights. Although, adults being discriminatory after the revolution can potentially contribute to the loss of some rights.

Eg. Kicked out of movies, Not being served at bars (assuming we win that fight) and things like that.

The reason I bring this up is because discrimination towards other groups has done this to others...

Edit: Or maby we haven't completely won until we have ALL of our rights.

Blog I post to now:

01-21-2010 12:27 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

One of the reasons for mass schooling is actually because there aren't enough jobs for all the adults already, so if suddenly all the kids are legally allowed to have jobs, everyone will go batshit insane.
http://www.school-survival.net/articles ... agenda.php

So yeah, it really does go a lot deeper than just youth rights. The entire structure of society as we know it depends on youth not having any rights...

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-22-2010 02:43 AM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Given 16 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

I consider myself a liberal in the original sense of the word. For me, there are two battles: the fight for rights and the fight against discrimination. People have the right to be ageist, sexist, and whateverist even though it is wrong and should be protested. Injustice occurs when laws are discriminatory, not individual behaviour. If the state declares such-and-such cannot be done by children, that is injust because it is a decree handed down to be followed without considering the consent of anyone. If a teacher declares it cannot be done in the classroom, assuming that the school is a free choice, it is not injust but perhaps wrong.

Both fighting for youth rights and against ageism should be done together. What I fear is the overregulation that has occured in other areas of social progress. For example, in many places racism is no longer an issue and all races are equal under the law but the government has made discrimination a crime. It is easy to be self-righteous and say that it should be a crime, but in the end it is a victimless crime. Racial and ageist discrimination by itself only hurts peoples feelings whereas assault is wrong regardless of the reason.

As to how this is to happen, I'm not exactly sure. Violent revolution is not the answer even if it just in some cases. The only thing to do at the moment is to talk and argue and protest and whatever else will focus attention on this movement. Although I figure ageism will still exist after youth rights, it will most likely be much rarer than it is now because otherwise the unwashed masses would not consent of it.

SoulRiser Wrote:One of the reasons for mass schooling is actually because there aren't enough jobs for all the adults already, so if suddenly all the kids are legally allowed to have jobs, everyone will go batshit insane.
At the risk of being insulted for my beliefs again, I need to reiterate that there would be more jobs without minimum wage and youth "protection" laws. I'm only 19 but in my lifetime I've seen the demise of both full-service gas stations and grocery baggers. Let's face it, most young people are unskilled regardless of their potential and work ethic. Even if ageist laws are removed, full social harmony will not be achieved because laws detrimental to unskilled workers in general will still exist.

I've never let my school interfere with my education.
01-22-2010 03:17 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

Kirby Wrote:Both fighting for youth rights and against ageism should be done together. What I fear is the overregulation that has occured in other areas of social progress. For example, in many places racism is no longer an issue and all races are equal under the law but the government has made discrimination a crime. It is easy to be self-righteous and say that it should be a crime, but in the end it is a victimless crime. Racial and ageist discrimination by itself only hurts peoples feelings whereas assault is wrong regardless of the reason.
True, being prejudiced is not a crime and of course should not be illegal. But let's also remember, of course, that not all discrimination is victimless. Things like offensive jokes and insults are a matter of free speech and have no business being regulated, but what about discrimination in the workplace for example? It's not a person's feelings being hurt there, it's their livelihood. There does need to be at least some regulation to make sure that the inequality actually goes away, rather than just having it be enforced by a different group of people.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
01-22-2010 05:08 AM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Rebelnerd Wrote:But let's also remember, of course, that not all discrimination is victimless.
That's true. My main point is that discrimination alone, while bad, isn't injust. Injustice comes from the act of coercion and not the intention.

Rebelnerd Wrote:It's not a person's feelings being hurt there, it's their livelihood. There does need to be at least some regulation to make sure that the inequality actually goes away, rather than just having it be enforced by a different group of people.
This illustrates the fundamental difference in our beliefs. Freedom creates the boundaries of just, but not necessarily good, actions. I would oppose anti-discrimination laws even if they help the situation.

01-22-2010 05:36 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Quote:At the risk of being insulted for my beliefs again, I need to reiterate that there would be more jobs without minimum wage and youth "protection" laws. I'm only 19 but in my lifetime I've seen the demise of both full-service gas stations and grocery baggers. Let's face it, most young people are unskilled regardless of their potential and work ethic. Even if ageist laws are removed, full social harmony will not be achieved because laws detrimental to unskilled workers in general will still exist.

Let's not forget, we will still have parents and won't exactly need to be supporting ourselves. Although that would be nice, it doesn't seem likely. We will still need to become educated in an area we are interested in. If we wipe out school we will simply have more time to become skilled in an area we like. If I could have all of the time I've wasted in school back, I could probably of become skilled in programming, web-design and other areas of interest by now. Also, I don't think there would be enough jobs to go around if we were all ready for a career at the age of sixteen or so. Which kind of relates to the population issue, but that's another thread...

Blog I post to now:

01-22-2010 06:30 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Though racism is obviously still going on, discrimination against races have decreased.

Civil Rights Era of the 50s: Look how much has changed since then. All sorts of races were treated like us.

It is possible to fix a lot of it.
01-22-2010 08:37 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

I agree.

Blog I post to now:

01-22-2010 08:49 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

To hell with the structure.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
01-22-2010 10:09 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

As long as we don't pull a Jacobin move.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
01-22-2010 03:03 PM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Also, I don't think there would be enough jobs to go around if we were all ready for a career at the age of sixteen or so.
That's why I mentioned the minimum wage. I didn't mean to say that all young people are unskilled, just most of them at this time. With better schooling there would be competition between teenagers and adults for "real" jobs.

01-22-2010 03:24 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

I see. That makes sense.

Blog I post to now:

01-22-2010 03:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Sad Finally graduated school. 2015 yet still treated like crap from parents Vester 14 5,355 01-15-2015 08:29 AM
Last Post: Vester
  Quinte Secondary School Revolution (QSS REVOLUTION) darkworld 7 3,653 03-30-2007 07:04 PM
Last Post: Odin