RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zero Tolerance.
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
Zero Tolerance.

This will be a looooooong post, so if you're not going to take any time, meh. (4 pages long on a word document more if you check out the links)

From Randy Cassingham's blog; http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-zt_react ... l#patricia

A letter from someone who supports ZT and clearly bullshits her way through some of it. She's advocating reprogramming kids vs their safety (it's not as if we can't make more kids, right?) She's glorifying herself, and Cassingham pokes fun at her letter by pointing out all the grammar fails.

Hidden stuff:
Quote:My husbands [sic] niece (her brother tested for genius) says she 'found' a box cutter while going to her school. The school was going to expel her. All they did was suspend her for a week. I am thankful that she does not go to the same school as my nieces and nephews! I think she belongs in a juvenile detention center! I 100% agree with zero tolerance. A toy gun should be taken away and the parents should have to come to school to pick up the toy....children are the one's [sic] killed with guns and teaching them to play with them is wrong (yes I played with toy guns but I knew the difference and there were no real guns available to me.) We live in a different world and people (you) need to regroup with the times to keep the kids safe and alive. Yep! the wooden knife can stab a kid in the eye or the throat. I have an I.Q. of 166 so please don't tell me I am part of the problem. I come from the 3rd worse [sic] city (1978 it was one of the countries [sic] top 10 safest and by 1982 it was the 3rd worse [sic]) so I know what molitof [sic] cocktails through windows are. Metal detectors are now at every entrance and the schools are divided into sections that if a riot starts everyone in that section is trapped...teachers and students until the police come and let the survivors out. There are cages in the places that used to be gym rooms. You do not live in the hell zones. YOU are part of the problem. The children are the future and the only thing that matters. Their safety .....any way we have to provide it...including not permitting animals to drag abusive items to school. Personally, I do have strong feelings about animals that raised themselves because all of the welfare whores breeded [sic]. Our government did a great disservice to the 'young adults' if that is what you wish to call animals in gangs, by letting their 'mothers' whore around instead of getting jobs and raising their children. Some animals have a kid and dump it in a matter of hours....I see no difference in them and a whore that gives a kid a bottle filled with rotten milk that is too thick to get out of the bottle and does not change the diaper more then once a day.....letting the kid rot in it's [sic] own fetal [sic!] matter.....no wonder the 'kids' grow up to be animals.....I think the 'parents' (both male and female) should be imprissoned [sic] and forced factory work to pay the childrens [sic] bills and reeducation and the 'kids' should be instatutionalized [sic] and reprogramed [sic]. Nothing you can say can make zero tolerance a bad thing.

Cassingham's reply to the letter;

Hidden stuff:
Quote:Perhaps not -- maybe all I need to do to discredit it is publish letters like Patricia's to show the kind of mentality behind ZT. An IQ of 166? Maybe Patricia failed math as well as English and doesn't know how to put decimal points in the right place. (I don't normally add "sic"s to letter writers' mistakes, but sometimes it does make a point, eh?) Patricia called her letter "proof" that I'm "wrong" about ZT. I guess it does prove something -- but not about me or ZT.

Patricia's 2nd reply, which is rather insulting, and downright dumb. She's offended that he published her letter, is calling him a rapist, and totally going off the topic of ZT to try to insult Cassingham.

Hidden stuff:
Quote:Sick is what you are in the head. I am assuming that your mentality is the same as people that want to rape women of the right of freedom. I do not believe in abortion personally but if freedom means the woman"s I was going to write womans but God forbid I do not do everything perfectly for an anal retentive such as yourself! I do not think a person should have to give up her life to have a child or carry a rape child (and yes I already know only 5% or rape victims actually wind up pregnant. Well I am going to do you a favor, you soap box king (and that is the only reason that you have this site is so you can spew your opinions onto others. Why don't you try selling the script instead of your opinions. Maybe you will be "lucky" and your kids and/or grandkids will wind up in one of your "free" schools and wind up a victim of your own opinions. As for me I WANT the kids to be safe from you and your family. I am going to do you a favor and take my name off of your "list" HOW DARE YOU USE MY LETTER OR MY NAME WITHOUT MY PERMISSION! YOUR A RAPIST OF IDEAS!!!!!!!!! I have found mistakes in your column so you are a hypocrite for not correcting your own letters. I happen to do a wonderful job with the typing that I do! Some of us was not lucky enough to have parents rich enough to send us to collage. You remind me of my physically, mentally, emotionally and verbally abusive father! You don't CARE if the kids live or die! I hope if any child gets hurt because of your preaching that you are help accountable! Maybe prison would do you some good.

In essence this boils down to Zero Tolerance, I'd thought to share a bit of the debate, but, seeing how that woman replied, she's better at derailment than we are.

Zero Tolerance; a complete rule using no thought involved whatsoever to completely stain the record of children just for doing something remotely (I use the term loosely, very loosely) close to something illegal, and it's just involved to not being able to do ANYTHING without fear of being checked up on. (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21541 me ranting about EYES EVERYWHERE) You've got cameras on you, and if they even suspect you're doing something outside of ZT they'll call the police (god forbid you have ibuprofen or some shit). Once the police ARE called the investigation simply HAS to be carried out, no common sense involved, and because it's something that violates ZT the have reason to consider you a terrorist and use force.

I'm assuming you at least know about 6 year olds being suspended for making a gun with their hand and such.

Quote:(November 1997) A Colorado Springs, Colo., school district says it did the right thing when it suspended 6-year-old Seamus Morris under the school's zero-tolerance drug policy. The drug? Lemon drops. Taylor Elementary School administrators called an ambulance after a teacher saw the boy give another student some candy, which was a brand teachers didn't recognize. "It was not something you would purchase in a grocery store," a district spokesman said. "It was from a health-food store." A spokesman for St. Claire's Lemon Tarts, however, noted that the candy is indeed sold in Colorado's largest grocery store chain. School officials were not impressed, and not only upheld the half-day suspension, but told the boy's mother that a child who brings candy to school is comparable to a teen who takes a gun to school. (UPI)

If an adult had some of the many things disallowed by Zero Tolerance, we'd completely leave them ALONE. Children are forced to comply, without being able to stand up for themselves as if they were an adult, which means they're subject to trauma without even being able to resist. If they do resist, the trauma just gets worse as well.

ZT has [Mostly] been unsuccessful at making schools a better place, instead giving them a bigger chance at being at risk.

STATISTICS...

Hidden stuff:
Quote:Encouraged by teachers' unions and some parents groups, state legislatures and local school boards soon added zero-tolerance policies for alcohol, cigarettes, illegal drugs, gangs, fighting, cursing and prostitution.

National statistics are sketchy but show no clear effect of zero-tolerance policies when measured by the number of students who bring weapons to school (6%); students who are victims of violent crime at school (3%); or 12th-graders who have tried alcohol (81%), cigarettes (65%) or illegal drugs (54%).

Even under zero tolerance, most students don't get kicked out of school, even for the most serious offenses. According to a study in 1997 by the Department of Education, only 31% of students who brought a gun to school in 1995-96 were expelled. Forty-nine percent were suspended for five or more days, and 20% were transferred to alternative schools or programs. Only 18% of students committing a drug offense were expelled from schools with zero-tolerance policies.

In some cases, school administrators used their discretion to lessen the punishment. In other cases, the students couldn't be expelled because they were special-education students, classified as emotionally disturbed or suffering from attention deficit problems and protected by laws covering the disabled.

http://www.usatoday.com/educate/ednews3.htm

Randy Cassingham Wrote:Non-crimes do not call for real punishment!

I'm honestly trying to get a discussion started, don't kill me?

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
01-20-2010 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
Re: Zero Tolerance.

Quote:a child who brings candy to school is comparable to a teen who takes a gun to school
Wtf

Grindteeth

Noo

Oh, and I remember a lengthy post Rebelnerd made on ZT awhile back, see if I can't dig it up.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
01-20-2010 05:06 PM
 Thanks given by: The man
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Cuckoo

I don't know what to say about that.

Do they even make people that think like that?
Hidden stuff:
Yes, I know you know it's a joke. Hopefully. Anyway it's a joke. Smile
Nevermind. Just forget I put this hidden thing in here. What a waste of a hidden tag. Oh well.

In any case, definitely one of the worst defenders of ZT I've ever seen.
So closed minded it's scary.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
01-20-2010 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: The man
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Didn't shock me that much. I already know they do this stuff. It really is sickening.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
01-20-2010 05:20 PM
The Desert Fox Offline

Is more towards school shootings, but zero tolerance has a good place in there too. Can be found here.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
01-20-2010 05:23 PM
Kirby Offline
Revolutionary

Given 16 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

I was thinking about the maliciousness of politicians and I think it applies to school bureacracy as well. An individual can be stupid, cruel, and power-hungry but sincerely believe they are the opposite. People who are for zero-tolerance are idiots who don't recognize they are. While they don't do it on purpose, the effect is the same as if they were trying to hurt kids.

I've never let my school interfere with my education.
01-22-2010 03:38 AM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Kirby Wrote:I was thinking about the maliciousness of politicians and I think it applies to school bureacracy as well. An individual can be stupid, cruel, and power-hungry but sincerely believe they are the opposite. People who are for zero-tolerance are idiots who don't recognize they are. While they don't do it on purpose, the effect is the same as if they were trying to hurt kids.
I agree, school is a perfect "model" of a tyrannical government anyway.

[Image: glorious666.png]
01-26-2010 04:06 PM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Since stuff happens in school, it says two things - zero tolerance doesn't work, and they must give kids a reason to be forced to restrict them in the first place.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
01-26-2010 06:21 PM
The Desert Fox Offline

Captain Obvious Wrote:Since stuff happens in school, it says two things - zero tolerance doesn't work, and they must give kids a reason to be forced to restrict them in the first place.
Quite.

Hidden stuff:
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
[/center]
01-26-2010 06:23 PM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

More Zero Tolerance crap.

http://www.wave3.com/Global/story.asp?S=12047295

So... FOOLISH

Quote:The parents of a Kentuckiana seventh grade student say their young daughter was suspended from school for doing exactly what she's been taught to do for years - to just say no to drugs.

The girl did not bring the prescription drug to her Jeffersonville, IN school, nor did she take it, but she admits that she touched it and in Greater Clark County Schools that is drug possession.

How dumb can Zero Tolerance get?

Wastin' time
03-02-2010 02:27 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

Thats just stupid, these people really need to take a look at themselves and realise just how stupid they/it is. The world needs to fucking chillax, its so tense, life should be about having fun and relaxing whilst we're alive and not being caged up for 6 hours a day forced to do work.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
03-02-2010 03:53 AM
Wingless Offline
el presidente

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

When a school is under any real threat, the school officials wont do shit about it until its too late (probably because they are too busy yelling at some kid who they had caught doing something like "inhaling air threateningly". I wouldn't be surprised if that's how far they'll go with this stupid regulation either)

[Image: sigtest1-1.jpg]

"When government surveillance and intimidation is called "freedom from terrorism" or "liberation from crime," freedom and liberty have become words without meanings." - Deus Ex
03-02-2010 10:04 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Its not about protecting the students.

Its about looking like your doing something and passing off the rules to be enforced by morons who take their job to seriously.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
03-02-2010 10:28 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

Lunatic Wrote:
Kirby Wrote:I was thinking about the maliciousness of politicians and I think it applies to school bureacracy as well. An individual can be stupid, cruel, and power-hungry but sincerely believe they are the opposite. People who are for zero-tolerance are idiots who don't recognize they are. While they don't do it on purpose, the effect is the same as if they were trying to hurt kids.
I agree, school is a perfect "model" of a tyrannical government anyway.
Absolutely agreed with both of you and school just gets worse each year.

ZZZ...
03-02-2010 10:42 AM
The Desert Fox Offline

I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance.

Hidden stuff:
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
[/center]
03-02-2010 11:43 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

The Desert Fox Wrote:I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance.

You'sa just as bad as them.

Wastin' time
03-02-2010 11:43 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Loxor Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:I have zero tolerance for zero tolerance.

You'sa just as bad as them.
No u

[Image: glorious666.png]
03-03-2010 01:36 PM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

D:

Wastin' time
03-03-2010 04:07 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Zero Tolerance for 6-Year-Old with spoon Liquid 13 5,641 01-04-2017 07:22 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru