RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you get detention for being one second late?
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Given 7 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Do you get detention for being one second late?

Just curious because when I was in middle school, I had a teacher flip out on me for being less than 5 seconds late. The rule was that if you were late between switching classes, you would get written up, and 3 write ups meant an hour of after school suspension. However, I figured most teachers would use their brain and realize that walking in seconds after the bell rings (before the lesson even starts) is not the same as actually missing the beginning of the lesson. (and this is assuming being late even deserves detention).

Is this common in schools or is it just a few dickhead teachers?
06-26-2011 08:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RandomTroll Offline
They see me trollin', they hatin'.

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Re: Do you get detention for being one second late?

Dickhead teachers.
I always get written up, because during the long breaks I go to cafeteria and grab a bowl of soup or something. By the time that buy and eat my stuff, I am sure to be late, but try explaining that to a faggot teacher.
06-26-2011 08:59 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Dickhead teachers... many teachers might pretend they care but they don't... of course every school will have their own special group of asshole teachers.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
06-26-2011 09:04 AM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

5 Lates were a detention at my school. Seriously, what does it matter that you're one minute late? We never used to do anything in form time anyway. It's just more useless rules that makes everyones life crappier.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
06-26-2011 09:22 AM
AngryCollegeDude Offline
Renegade

Given 7 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

Elfy Wrote:5 Lates were a detention at my school. Seriously, what does it matter that you're one minute late? We never used to do anything in form time anyway. It's just more useless rules that makes everyones life crappier.

I notice on other message boards, people rail on those who are late to class, praising teachers who punish or lock late students out. The only somewhat justifiable reason I've heard is that it disrupts class. The problem is that by that reasoning, any noise can disrupt class. So does the whole world have to be quite just for their class to start?

Personally, I think those who get pissed at those who are late just want to feel superior by commenting on how "irresponsible" late students are. After all, they show up on time and never run into traffic problems, bad weather, or numerous other things that can cause you to be late. So sue me for not wanting to agonize over being a few minutes late and causing a couple seconds of distraction. No, if I really cared, I would have shown up extra early to make sure I'd be on time. Or maybe the teachers can just not be douchebags about being late and accept that SHIT HAPPENS.

As for teachers who hate it, I've heard the same old cliches. It's to prepare for the "real world" where we'll have a boss. And if they let one little thing slide, it will lead to rebelion and anarchy (control freak logic). And I'll look back on those teachers and realize being on time was the most important lesson they could have taught me. Yuck I've even heard some say "I have to be on time so you should be on time too". Nevermind that the teachers are getting PAID for it so it's an apples oranges comparison.
06-26-2011 12:23 PM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Quote:It's to prepare for the "real world" where we'll have a boss. And if they let one little thing slide, it will lead to rebelion and anarchy (control freak logic). And I'll look back on those teachers and realize being on time was the most important lesson they could have taught me. I've even heard some say "I have to be on time so you should be on time too". Nevermind that the teachers are getting PAID for it so it's an apples oranges comparison.

I 100% agree...especially when it isn't even your FAULT. I remember, back in November there was this huge flooding and the buses near my house stopped running, so, as I was already at the bus stop, I had to go 20 blocks out of my way to get on a bus that did run, and then I had to literally sprint to school in the pouring rain. It was about a mile so obviously I couldn't sprint all the way. I was 40 minutes late and the teacher had the gall to give me like 5 detentions. Oh yeah and then I got pneumonia (I wonder why) and missed a month of school.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
06-26-2011 01:17 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

AngryCollegeDude Wrote:
Elfy Wrote:5 Lates were a detention at my school. Seriously, what does it matter that you're one minute late? We never used to do anything in form time anyway. It's just more useless rules that makes everyones life crappier.

I notice on other message boards, people rail on those who are late to class, praising teachers who punish or lock late students out. The only somewhat justifiable reason I've heard is that it disrupts class. The problem is that by that reasoning, any noise can disrupt class. So does the whole world have to be quite just for their class to start?

Personally, I think those who get pissed at those who are late just want to feel superior by commenting on how "irresponsible" late students are. After all, they show up on time and never run into traffic problems, bad weather, or numerous other things that can cause you to be late. So sue me for not wanting to agonize over being a few minutes late and causing a couple seconds of distraction. No, if I really cared, I would have shown up extra early to make sure I'd be on time. Or maybe the teachers can just not be douchebags about being late and accept that SHIT HAPPENS.

As for teachers who hate it, I've heard the same old cliches. It's to prepare for the "real world" where we'll have a boss. And if they let one little thing slide, it will lead to rebelion and anarchy (control freak logic). And I'll look back on those teachers and realize being on time was the most important lesson they could have taught me. Yuck I've even heard some say "I have to be on time so you should be on time too". Nevermind that the teachers are getting PAID for it so it's an apples oranges comparison.
Exactly what I was thinking. Teachers don't really flip out if we're 5 seconds late. But if we're 1 minute late Razz you get a note down or warning. If you're like a minute late like 10 times in that year the teacher might give you an after school detention. Depends on the teacher though, sometimes they don't mind, sometimes depends on their mood, and sometimes you get that prick that always watches you and criticizes you for being 1 minutes late.

I don't think it's really relevant to get in trouble for being late though. I'm being forced to come here at least cut me some slack. And FOR FUCK'S SAKE IT IS NOT DISRUPTING THE CLASS. I hardly make any noise for walking in late, I don't disrupt anyone, maybe one or two kids will look up from their desks for a second but that's about it. WHEN YOU TELL US OFF FOR BEING LATE, THAT IS DISRUPTING THE CLASS WITH YOUR YELLING.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
06-26-2011 01:27 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

If you're going to enforce rules for being tardy you have to draw the line somewhere. If you let kids come in a few seconds late then everyday a group of kids will hang out right by your door and then run in right after the bell rings and then pretty soon the principal will be asking what the heck's going on. When I taught high school I would ignore students who skipped my entire class but I followed procedure about tardies. When students came in late they would usually be loud and make a big annoying production about it. Most of you probably go to schools where students are capable of coming in late and just sitting down like a normal person but at my school they handled it like monkeys on crack which made it difficult to be cool about it if I wanted to keep my job.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
06-26-2011 01:38 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

AngryCollegeDude Wrote:The only somewhat justifiable reason I've heard is that it disrupts class. The problem is that by that reasoning, any noise can disrupt class. So does the whole world have to be quite just for their class to start?
Ehh, I've had a professor or two who did legitimately get distracted enough by people coming in late that they'd lose their train of thought and have to repeat what they were saying (sometimes starting from what they had been saying quite awhile ago). And yes, other noises exist, but that doesn't mean it's not reasonable to try to minimize the ones they can.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
06-26-2011 08:22 PM
flann Offline
Revolutionary

Given 7 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Not me, the teachers think I'm gold (well the one that is a strictass)

But now if they are just after that main group comes in, not when the bell rings, they give them detentions.

Favoritism extreme. The teacher honors me. But all but a few 'angel kids' hate her. Even my friend, an extreme school liker (I tried, it never worked) and a person who will do extra credit to waste their life, hates her. Even his dad. Even his dad's friend who teaches people that are smarter than the A+ people at our class. Whoever likes her... Well, as I said, is one of those brainwashed fucks.

Even though she didn't give me detentions, I still got pissed off at her for NOT SHUTTING THE FUCK UP (her voice is higher than justin beiber on helium when she screams) and favoritism.

War is stupid.
06-27-2011 03:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Five things they never tell you about High School until it's too late Miller0700 1 3,040 03-16-2012 05:29 AM
Last Post: SaintVicious
  Meh late night venting Dreamer567 15 6,551 05-16-2009 03:03 AM
Last Post: Sociopath
  Administrative Detention For Being Late By 10 Seconds? Trar 8 3,501 10-06-2008 02:39 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  Sent home if your late Iak 20 4,526 12-10-2007 03:07 AM
Last Post: Pieman
  too late for me, what about my brother? Vivin 4 2,403 05-19-2007 11:33 AM
Last Post: Mom