RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when the fuck am i gonna need to use algebra?
simoxiii Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
when the fuck am i gonna need to use algebra?

i guess you might have to use simple algebra sometimes in life but, WHY THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO LEARN ALL THIS HARD SHIT??? when am i ever gonna use it, seriously. and it doesnt help that my teacher is the biggest fucking bitch who wont compromise on ANYTHING!

FUCK!
01-23-2010 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)
Re: when the fuck am i gonna need to use algebra?

Algebra is actually pretty useful. It looks like it's useless, but that's because you're not using the thing above your neck enough.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
01-23-2010 07:29 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

I agree especially simple algebra, it turns up everywhere. You probably wont need stuff like calculus much though
01-23-2010 07:32 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

Actually, it is useless, beyond the basic stuff. Anything more is either mental masturbation (that's not to say mental masturbation is wrong, but people can prefer other subjects) or something related to computer programming.

We had algorithms in school and trigowhateverery and functions (that are in no way connected to the programming functions), and I really don't see how it's ever going to help me, since I'm not interested in maths whatsoever.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
01-23-2010 07:32 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

It's only useful because it helps you put two and two together to solve real equations in life.

I'd rather just go and solve real problems as opposed to praticing it.

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
01-23-2010 07:37 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Speaking of that, how can you apply maths IRL other than "so I have 200 dollars, and I have to buy 3 things that each cost 50 dollars" and computer programming? I heard maths is connected to logics.. but again, beyond the basics, I don't see how that's so. How's trigonometry going to make you think with more rationality?

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
01-23-2010 07:39 PM
simoxiii Offline
Rebel

i said i know that ill need simple algebra if you actually bothered to read the fucking post! but why all this bullshit working out and stupid equations that ull just forget when you leave school!
01-23-2010 07:39 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

It's bullshit that it makes you think rationally or logically, other than maybe stimulating your brain to make more neural connections etc, but that can be done with anything that uses intelligence.

But basic trigonometry and algebra does turn up in a lot of places, maybe not the life of a house wife but it turns up anywhere mildly technical.

edit: Although it's useful, I'm not saying it should be compulsory. Very essential maths is usually taught at a young age, the rest is less vital
01-23-2010 07:40 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

simoxiii Wrote:why all this bullshit working out and stupid equations that ull just forget when you leave school!

They need something to use as a scapegoat when they're forcing kids to follow routines/formulas. Mathematics just happens to be one of the methods.

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
01-23-2010 07:41 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

They teach you this crap so we can find out more.

I'm sick to the death of hearing whiny fucking teenagers like you complain about this! I, for one, would love to see humanity progress. I find Mathematics interesting, and I'll probably follow all the discoveries even after I graduate school/uni.

Mathematics is also used in a variety of fucking important jobs. Wanna know what would've happened if NASA didn't use any math when they shot that rocket at the moon? Here I'll tell ya:

They would've either not done a thing, and wasted valuable resources, or blew the fuck out of the moon, and wasted valuable resources.

Stop fucking complaining. They have a goddamn fucking purpose when they teach you this shit, and to be honest, I don't care what the fuck you want, they're teaching children this to better humanity.

Now get the fuck over yourself.

01-23-2010 07:46 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Faby Wrote:Speaking of that, how can you apply maths IRL other than "so I have 200 dollars, and I have to buy 3 things that each cost 50 dollars" and computer programming? I heard maths is connected to logics.. but again, beyond the basics, I don't see how that's so. How's trigonometry going to make you think with more rationality?

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
01-23-2010 07:50 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Quote:Mathematics is also used in a variety of fucking important jobs. Wanna know what would've happened if NASA didn't use any math when they shot that rocket at the moon?

I figured that unless you actually care about that stuff, you shouldn't be forced to learn anything above the basics. Someone who wants to be a wrestler shouldn't be forced to learn calculus.

I would pick math over other subjects anyday, but some people prefer to be ignorant. If they choose that, then they should be free to.

01-23-2010 07:53 PM
simoxiii Offline
Rebel

Electro Gypsy Wrote:They teach you this crap so we can find out more.

I'm sick to the death of hearing whiny fucking teenagers like you complain about this! I, for one, would love to see humanity progress. I find Mathematics interesting, and I'll probably follow all the discoveries even after I graduate school/uni.

Mathematics is also used in a variety of fucking important jobs. Wanna know what would've happened if NASA didn't use any math when they shot that rocket at the moon? Here I'll tell ya:

They would've either not done a thing, and wasted valuable resources, or blew the fuck out of the moon, and wasted valuable resources.

Stop fucking complaining. They have a goddamn fucking purpose when they teach you this shit, and to be honest, I don't care what the fuck you want, they're teaching children this to better humanity.

i understand wha6t youre saying so i mean this in the nicest possible way but, FUCK YOU! i dont want to be a physicist or an astronaut, i want to have a good job that im happy doing, a job that doesnt involve advanced algebra! and if you want to better humanity, join greenpeace and go kill some fucking japs that are fishing our oceans clean. dont treat me like some punk, because im not, i just hate school and i hate having to do what other people tell me every minute of the day. if you think i dont have a right to have my own opinion and think for myself, then good luck to you.
01-23-2010 07:53 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

TO: Edge

Sure, why not? But, to be honest, how many kids today know what they want? A percent? Less?

I'm not entrusting my future to a bunch of fucking ignorami.

01-23-2010 07:54 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Electro Gypsy Wrote:They teach you this crap so we can find out more.

How incredibly noble and selfless of the school to teach you things to make you better. Too bad I no longer fall for this shit.

I'm keeping my ground moral even now. Rather than be educated by force, I'd not be educated at all.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
01-23-2010 07:55 PM
simoxiii Offline
Rebel

Electro Gypsy Wrote:Sure, why not? But, to be honest, how many kids today know what they want? A percent? Less?

I'm not entrusting my future to a bunch of fucking ignorami.
your future is being very narrow minded, youve never met me, so you have absolutely no grounds on which to call me ignorant. i have a different sort of intelligence, not one that can be learned like math. the sort that you cant learn, i can solve any mind game you throw at me. so have fun being a little robot
01-23-2010 07:58 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Electro Gypsy Wrote:I'm not entrusting my future to a bunch of fucking ignorami.

Why entrust your future to anyone but yourself, though?

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
01-23-2010 07:59 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Quote:i understand wha6t youre saying so i mean this in the nicest possible way but, FUCK YOU! i dont want to be a physicist or an astronaut, i want to have a good job that im happy doing, a job that doesnt involve advanced algebra! and if you want to better humanity, join greenpeace and go kill some fucking japs that are fishing our oceans clean. dont treat me like some punk, because im not, i just hate school and i hate having to do what other people tell me every minute of the day. if you think i dont have a right to have my own opinion and think for myself, then good luck to you.

I don't fucking give a damn. Think of other people, will you? You might not be interested in it, but other people are. You might think it's useless, but it's probably improved the quality of living several times over. PROTIP: Algebra is one of the things that saves fucking lives if you're smart enough to use it. Also, I condone whaling. Extinction of species isn't my problem.

Quote:How incredibly noble and selfless of the school to teach you things to make you better. Too bad I no longer fall for this shit.

I'm keeping my ground moral even now. Rather than be educated by force, I'd not be educated at all.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But the way I see it is this, to teach the few that are willing to learn, they have to teach you all. Surely, you have subjects you love but other people hate being forced to do? Same fucking thing.

01-23-2010 08:00 PM
simoxiii Offline
Rebel

Electro Gypsy Wrote:
Quote:i understand wha6t youre saying so i mean this in the nicest possible way but, FUCK YOU! i dont want to be a physicist or an astronaut, i want to have a good job that im happy doing, a job that doesnt involve advanced algebra! and if you want to better humanity, join greenpeace and go kill some fucking japs that are fishing our oceans clean. dont treat me like some punk, because im not, i just hate school and i hate having to do what other people tell me every minute of the day. if you think i dont have a right to have my own opinion and think for myself, then good luck to you.

I don't fucking give a damn. Think of other people, will you? You might not be interested in it, but other people are. You might think it's useless, but it's probably improved the quality of living several times over. PROTIP: Algebra is one of the things that saves fucking lives if you're smart enough to use it. Also, I condone whaling. Extinction of species isn't my problem.

Quote:How incredibly noble and selfless of the school to teach you things to make you better. Too bad I no longer fall for this shit.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But the way I see it is this, to teach the few that are willing to learn, they have to teach you all. Surely, you have subjects you love but other people hate being forced to do? Same fucking thing.

so we should all have to learn it to accommodate 1 person in the class that wants to become a physicist? i think that you are a very damaged person to be honest
01-23-2010 08:03 PM
simoxiii Offline
Rebel

i also noticed that instead of addressing my other points you just went back to the easier ones
01-23-2010 08:04 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

itt: algebra is srs buisness
Faby Offline
work in progress

Electro Gypsy Wrote:Surely, you have subjects you love but other people hate being forced to do? Same fucking thing.

Exactly. And even though I don't feel as they do toward the particular subject, I can empathise with them.

I don't see WHY everyone has to learn the same things, though.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Yeah, I am. Mostly by school and classmates, actually.

But I got over that and realized that the main character of this story isn't me. I'd prefer it if I had a good life, but I'd feel fucking fantastic if humanity bettered itself.

Which in turn would lead to less restrictive school systems by the way.

Faby, Edge, newb-whose-name-I-haven't-memorized, how 'bout we make a group convo on MSN. You guys are typing too fast for me.

EDIT: If you let me fucking post, I'd be able to reply to your harder posts.

01-23-2010 08:06 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

I figured letting people learn things themelves as opposed to being forced to helps build independence, but it is easier to control people if everyone knows and thinks the same way.

Besides, you (Electro Gypsy) do have a point. Some people wouldn't bother learning anything if they had the freedom not to.

Anyways, there's always a way out. Nobody is technically forced to learn algebra. If anyone doesn't like it, just walk away like I did; you'll live.

Quote:Faby, Edge, newb-whose-name-I-haven't-memorized, how 'bout we make a group convo on MSN. You guys are typing too fast for me.
I'll pass. :<_<:

01-23-2010 08:09 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Reason I'm annoyed is because my posting speed is down. Much calmer on IM.

01-23-2010 08:11 PM
simoxiii Offline
Rebel

Electro Gypsy Wrote:Yeah, I am. Mostly by school and classmates, actually.

But I got over that and realized that the main character of this story isn't me. I'd prefer it if I had a good life, but I'd feel fucking fantastic if humanity bettered itself.

Which in turn would lead to less restrictive school systems by the way.

Faby, Edge, newb-whose-name-I-haven't-memorized, how 'bout we make a group convo on MSN. You guys are typing too fast for me.

EDIT: If you let me fucking post, I'd be able to reply to your harder posts.
can you quote messages because i don't know who you're replying to. youre going on about humanity bettering itself. im talking about the fact that i dont need to know algebra. and on a slightly unrelated topic: my class is full of cunts who stuff around in my best subjects (english, music, media) so i cant learn shit, then in maths and science, theyre quiet. this is why i am so pissed off, so school is basicly a complete waste of time from where im standing
01-23-2010 08:12 PM
simoxiii Offline
Rebel

im going for a run now, ive had enough of this thread and my boring life
01-23-2010 08:14 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

The reason I don't put quotes is because I think I'm replying to the post above me, and it turns out all three of you guys have posted one or two lines of text.

Anyway, have a nice run.

01-23-2010 08:16 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

EdgeOfTheRKO Wrote:Some people wouldn't bother learning anything if they had the freedom not to.

Oh dear, and here we come to the base of the thing.

Why do we have to learn?

In truth, learning, educating yourself, playing games, socialising... it all boils down to happiness.

To everybody happiness has a different meaning. To some it is pursuing intellectual goals, to others it is simply enjoying your friends and having a good time.

Some people have similar meanings of happiness, but not entirely identical.

It depends if you're treating learning as a goal in and of itself, or a fundamental part of life. And here learning is split in two, I think: intellectual learning, as in learning about subjects, and... well, I don't know how to name the other type of learning, but it's on a more metaphysical/spiritual level. And that's coming from someone who has no sense of spirituality.

YARRR SEE ME RAMBLE

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
01-23-2010 08:17 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

simoxiii Wrote:im going for a run now, ive had enough of this thread and my boring life
Wow, Electro is good. Scared you off already, and it's only been a few minutes since the first reply in this topic. Rolleyes

Faby Wrote:
EdgeOfTheRKO Wrote:Some people wouldn't bother learning anything if they had the freedom not to.

Oh dear, and here we come to the base of the thing.

Why do we have to learn?

In truth, learning, educating yourself, playing games, socialising... it all boils down to happiness.

To everybody happiness has a different meaning. To some it is pursuing intellectual goals, to others it is simply enjoying your friends and having a good time.

Some people have similar meanings of happiness, but not entirely identical.

It depends if you're treating learning as a goal in and of itself, or a fundamental part of life. And here learning is split in two, I think: intellectual learning, as in learning about subjects, and... well, I don't know how to name the other type of learning, but it's on a more metaphysical/spiritual level. And that's coming from someone who has no sense of spirituality.

YARRR SEE ME RAMBLE
I guess I fall in the latter category. Doesn't change the fact that some people don't really seem to fit in either...

Ack, who cares? Knowledge=/=intelligence anyways. I don't know why I chose this particular thread to postwhore.

01-23-2010 08:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I'm fucking scared of my Algebra Regents HighSchoolFailure1337 10 7,470 06-03-2016 03:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  I'm scared I'm not going to pass my Algebra EOC MusicAndFruits1092 4 6,486 05-09-2016 06:32 AM
Last Post: MusicAndFruits1092
  Algebra and School is stressing me out? MusicAndFruits1092 3 3,954 04-09-2016 10:17 PM
Last Post: MusicAndFruits1092
  Algebra Fuzzles1 8 5,628 06-20-2013 04:34 PM
Last Post: HawkbitAlpha
  Would you ever have taken time outside of school to learn Algebra? Isaiah_halfstaff 12 4,455 02-10-2013 12:10 PM
Last Post: LadyKira
  Holy fuck, I gonna have surgery Luizao876 6 3,050 04-01-2012 02:59 AM
Last Post: thefrustrated
  algebra RustedOutEntry 11 6,631 01-18-2012 11:28 AM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  One time, in algebra class... Zombie 5 2,448 02-03-2008 12:42 PM
Last Post: The One