RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when the fuck am i gonna need to use algebra?
simoxiii Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Re: when the fuck am i gonna need to use algebra?

EdgeOfTheRKO Wrote:
simoxiii Wrote:im going for a run now, ive had enough of this thread and my boring life
Wow, Electro is good. Scared you off already, and it's only been a few minutes since the first reply in this topic. Rolleyes

dude you serious? obviously you are mentally challenged so ill put it to you clearly. we basicly agreed to disagree, nobody scared anybody off, i'd just had enough. and if you bothered to look, he said "Have a nice run". i dont have an issue with him, and he apparently doesnt have an issue with me. so stop creating conflict where there doesnt need to be any
01-23-2010 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

simoxiii Wrote:obviously you are mentally challenged

Obviously you're foreign to every notion of common sense. What's there to gain in insulting people who basically agree with you?

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
01-23-2010 09:54 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Just like to point out that, no, I do not have a problem with simoxiii (hereinafter 13). He/she seems to actually be able to defend his/her opinion.

Confirmation on gender would be nice.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
01-23-2010 10:13 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Electro Gypsy Wrote:I'm sick to the death of hearing whiny fucking teenagers like you complain about this! I, for one, would love to see humanity progress. I find Mathematics interesting, and I'll probably follow all the discoveries even after I graduate school/uni.
And I would love for people to stop using other people's supposed inferiority to justify coercion. ;P

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
01-24-2010 01:42 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Everyone starts at zero in my eyes. Everyone gets a fair chance.

01-24-2010 01:48 AM
returnal Away
cold like minnesota (brrr!)

Given 29 thank(s) in 26 post(s)

Electro Gypsy Wrote:They teach you this crap so we can find out more.

I'm sick to the death of hearing whiny fucking teenagers like you complain about this! I, for one, would love to see humanity progress. I find Mathematics interesting, and I'll probably follow all the discoveries even after I graduate school/uni.

Mathematics is also used in a variety of fucking important jobs. Wanna know what would've happened if NASA didn't use any math when they shot that rocket at the moon? Here I'll tell ya:

They would've either not done a thing, and wasted valuable resources, or blew the fuck out of the moon, and wasted valuable resources.

Stop fucking complaining. They have a goddamn fucking purpose when they teach you this shit, and to be honest, I don't care what the fuck you want, they're teaching children this to better humanity.

Now get the fuck over yourself.
This above all this.

Though math only interests me if has to do with programming. Then I'm all ears.

woah dude
dude woah
01-24-2010 01:50 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Electro Gypsy Wrote:Everyone starts at zero in my eyes. Everyone gets a fair chance.
It doesn't really make a difference whether you think they're inherently inferior or made so by their choices. To say that you would support people being allowed to choose as long as they were to make choices you approve of doesn't mean shit.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
01-24-2010 02:00 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

School teaches what school teaches because it needs to. It makes society function at a relatively intelligent level.

Inferiority and superiority mean nothing to me in this topic. Shut up and learn or get home-schooled/unschooled. If you're not allowed, then suck it up.

01-24-2010 02:13 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

No. No! FUCK NO!

Even you.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
01-24-2010 02:20 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Electro Gypsy Wrote:If you're not allowed, then suck it up.

What are you doing on an anti-school forum?

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
01-24-2010 02:24 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Providing mixed and hypocritical opinions for all to enjoy.

01-24-2010 02:29 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

That's just great. Pro-schoolers, teachers, emos. What's next, politicians?

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
01-24-2010 02:38 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Faby Wrote:That's just great. Pro-schoolers, teachers, emos. What's next, politicians?

Pro-schoolers: What's wrong with a little discussion between the two sides?

Teachers: Same thing, but with added benefits

Emos: It's a fashion, get over it. Emos =/= 'bawwwww i lost my ipod mai lief sux *an heroes*'

01-24-2010 02:44 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Electro Gypsy Wrote:
Faby Wrote:That's just great. Pro-schoolers, teachers, emos. What's next, politicians?

Pro-schoolers: What's wrong with a little discussion between the two sides?

Teachers: Same thing, but with added benefits

It's that this forum is a SUPPORT forum, not a DEBATE forum. What support do you find in telling a kid who's beaten (metaphorically) from school, comes home and posts something, to suck it up? None at all.

As I said, take your (I'm referring to a general number of people) nauseous intellectualisms somewhere else, please.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
01-24-2010 02:47 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Quote:School teaches what school teaches because it needs to. It makes society function at a relatively intelligent level.
It's not a necessity, it's a choice. It's basically trading some amount of liberty for whatever benefits come with having everyone go through school. To me, coercion is hardly ever justified, and not wanting to live with uneducated people isn't one of the few times it is.

Quote:Shut up and learn or get home-schooled/unschooled. If you're not allowed, then suck it up.
I'm in college. I do fine in my math classes, like them even. This doesn't have anything to do with me not wanting to do math.

Also,
Quote:Inferiority and superiority mean nothing to me in this topic.
Quote:I'm sick to the death of hearing whiny fucking teenagers like you complain about this! I, for one, would love to see humanity progress. I find Mathematics interesting, and I'll probably follow all the discoveries even after I graduate school/uni.
Quote:But, to be honest, how many kids today know what they want? A percent? Less?

I'm not entrusting my future to a bunch of fucking ignorami.

01-24-2010 03:04 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Electro Gypsy Wrote:Providing mixed and hypocritical opinions for all to enjoy.

01-24-2010 03:13 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

I've actually had to use algebra in some cases, not many.

When you're planning on something and trying to find the least you need to buy to have enough for everyone.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
01-24-2010 10:32 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

A lot of things in school are useful. However, that does NOT mean getting it all shoved down your throat will help you.

"Stop fucking complaining. They have a goddamn fucking purpose when they teach you this shit, and to be honest, I don't care what the fuck you want, they're teaching children this to better humanity."

Facepalm.Jpg

So you can get away with anything, as long as you have a purpose? A reason is not always a good reason.

It is also obvious that they do not know what is best for us.
01-24-2010 10:47 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

Quote:A lot of things in school are useful. However, that does NOT mean getting it all shoved down your throat will help you.

THIS.

Seriously, if we could focus on things that interests us it would be a much more successful place.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
01-24-2010 10:48 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Alright, I'm not gonna get into some big argument here because I don't have the time, but I really don't get this argument of "ALGEBRA IS IMPORTANT SO YOU SHOULD STFU ABOUT SCHOOL"

I agree that algebra is important, but why do you think that the school system makes any of the students WANT to learn it? It seems to do the opposite. They might learn enough about it to pass the test, but beyond that point I don't see too many people caring.

Forcing people to do assignment after assignment isn't going to teach them anything if they're only doing it for a paper that says they can leave school in the future.

Quote:Shut up and learn or get home-schooled/unschooled. If you're not allowed, then suck it up.

Telling people who can't get out of school that they should "suck it up"? That's just lame.
01-24-2010 12:32 PM
Colin Offline
Pariah

Given 14 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

Cosbydaf Wrote:Alright, I'm not gonna get into some big argument here because I don't have the time, but I really don't get this argument of "ALGEBRA IS IMPORTANT SO YOU SHOULD STFU ABOUT SCHOOL"

I agree that algebra is important, but why do you think that the school system makes any of the students WANT to learn it? It seems to do the opposite. They might learn enough about it to pass the test, but beyond that point I don't see too many people caring.

Forcing people to do assignment after assignment isn't going to teach them anything if they're only doing it for a paper that says they can leave school in the future.

Telling people who can't get out of school that they should "suck it up"? That's just lame.
This. Thanks Cosbydaf.

PLEASE, TELL US JUSTIN
[Image: ubd5511.png]
01-24-2010 12:56 PM
LightAbyssion Offline
Revolutionary

Given 38 thank(s) in 21 post(s)

simoxiii Wrote:
EdgeOfTheRKO Wrote:
simoxiii Wrote:im going for a run now, ive had enough of this thread and my boring life
Wow, Electro is good. Scared you off already, and it's only been a few minutes since the first reply in this topic. Rolleyes

dude you serious? obviously you are mentally challenged so ill put it to you clearly. we basicly agreed to disagree, nobody scared anybody off, i'd just had enough. and if you bothered to look, he said "Have a nice run". i dont have an issue with him, and he apparently doesnt have an issue with me. so stop creating conflict where there doesnt need to be any
Jesus, I was only kidding, I thought the smiley showed that. You sure get pissed easily...

I can't believe how many posts this topic has since last night. This seemed like a generic rant topic.

"Oppressed people might overthrow their tyrants, but not if they can count on one day joining the oppressors."
01-24-2010 02:23 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:i guess you might have to use simple algebra sometimes in life but, WHY THE FUCK DO I HAVE TO LEARN ALL THIS HARD SHIT??? when am i ever gonna use it, seriously. and it doesnt help that my teacher is the biggest fucking bitch who wont compromise on ANYTHING!

FUCK!
Wait, what's algebra again? That's the thing with all the x and y crap, is it?

Hidden stuff:
(Yes, I could Google it, but where's the fun in that? I haven't known what algebra even IS for years, and that hasn't ruined my life, now has it?)

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-25-2010 08:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Yeah, it's that crap.
01-25-2010 08:12 AM
Jesusaurisrex Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I actually ask my math teachers this question every year, and only one got the question right. that teacher happened to be my calc teacher, and his answer was this:

"you wont. Math is just advanced logic. thats it. and you use logic everywhere in life. you wont use this worthless information, but you will learn from it"

simple as that. its not about leaning math, its about using your mind to its full potential. problem is 99% of teachers are too stupid themselves to know that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmXMA34CeoQ
01-25-2010 08:38 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

It honestly depends on what your interested in. I've had a billion different interests in my life, but none of it involved advanced math. At the most, measurement and addition/subtraction.

No one is ignorant for learning about things other than math.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
01-25-2010 08:59 AM
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Jesusaurisrex Wrote:"you wont. Math is just advanced logic. thats it. and you use logic everywhere in life. you wont use this worthless information, but you will learn from it"

I haven't learned from the stuff they shoved down my throat at school. I may agree with your teacher, but he/she probably means you need it all forced on you.
01-25-2010 09:10 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:I"you wont. Math is just advanced logic. thats it. and you use logic everywhere in life. you wont use this worthless information, but you will learn from it"
Yeah, you'll learn that using logic is boring and tedious, and you'll prefer to avoid using it at all times outside of school for the rest of your life.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-25-2010 09:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I learned advanced math while solving problems with coding. I didn't need to learn much of geometry/physics as well, because I thought about the problem a while, and thought up myself the very same equation pattern the school would fail at teaching me.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
01-25-2010 09:17 AM
Sepia Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

The problem isn't algebra. It's school itself. Algebra is as much of a victim as you. Divide and conquer.
01-26-2010 12:26 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I'm fucking scared of my Algebra Regents HighSchoolFailure1337 10 4,895 06-03-2016 03:13 PM
Last Post: UnicornLionWolf
  I'm scared I'm not going to pass my Algebra EOC MusicAndFruits1092 4 4,546 05-09-2016 06:32 AM
Last Post: MusicAndFruits1092
  Algebra and School is stressing me out? MusicAndFruits1092 3 2,509 04-09-2016 10:17 PM
Last Post: MusicAndFruits1092
  Algebra Fuzzles1 8 4,137 06-20-2013 04:34 PM
Last Post: HawkbitAlpha
  Would you ever have taken time outside of school to learn Algebra? Isaiah_halfstaff 12 3,124 02-10-2013 12:10 PM
Last Post: LadyKira
  Holy fuck, I gonna have surgery Luizao876 6 2,084 04-01-2012 02:59 AM
Last Post: thefrustrated
  algebra RustedOutEntry 11 5,035 01-18-2012 11:28 AM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  One time, in algebra class... Zombie 5 1,708 02-03-2008 12:42 PM
Last Post: The One