RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clinton speech boosts anti-filter campaign
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Clinton speech boosts anti-filter campaign

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 799369.htm

Quote:Clinton speech boosts anti-filter campaign

By Ashley Hall for PM and wires

Posted Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:00pm AEDT
Updated Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:02pm AEDT

Australia and the United States appear to be on a collision course on the issue of internet censorship.

In a wide-ranging speech last night, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has accused countries that filter search engines of contravening the UN's Universal Declaration on Human Rights.

Taken literally, that is what the Australian Government has planned with the internet filtering regime it promised last month to introduce.

Critics of the filtering plan say the Federal Government should heed Ms Clinton's words and scrap the filter.

"Countries that restrict free access to information or violate the basic rights of internet users risk walling themselves off from the progress of the next century," Senator Clinton said in the speech.

And she urged global condemnation of countries which build electronic barriers to parts of the internet or filter search engines.

She singled out Iran, Saudi Arabia and Egypt. China was clearly in her sights as well; internet giant Google has threatened to quit China over concerns about censorship and cyber attacks.

Censorship 'club'

The vice chairman of Electronic Frontiers Australia, Colin Jacobs, opposes the Federal Government's internet censorship plan.

"China is not alone in censoring the internet - and that's a club that Australia is unfortunately set to join if the Rudd Government get their way this year," he said.

"[Ms Clinton] did say that censorship should not be in any way accepted by any company from anywhere and that governments should not prevent people from connecting to the internet or to websites or to each other. And that's exactly what the Rudd Government has in mind."

The Government's plan involves asking internet service providers to block content that the National Classification Board decides should be "Refused Classification".

Such content includes child sex abuse content, bestiality and instructions in crime and drug use.

In a statement, the responsible Australian Government minister, Stephen Conroy, welcomed Ms Clinton's speech.

He says the Government also agrees with her observations that all societies recognise that "freedom of expression has its limits".

But Mr Jacobs says Senator Conroy is taking Senator Clinton's words out of context.

"She goes on to say that we acknowledge that there are limits to free speech but the internet is so important that we can't jeopardise the advantages by introducing censorship," he said.

"So the Government has sort of twisted the words to throw their own policy in a better light."

'Badgering China'

Mr Jacobs is hoping the US will push a free-internet agenda in bilateral meetings with Australia.

But that is unlikely, according to Michael McKinley, a senior lecturer in international relations and strategy at the Australian National University.

"I don't think Hillary Clinton's comments were aimed at Australia," he said.

"They were really aimed at harassing and badgering China for obvious reasons and for some quite good reasons."

Dr McKinley does not think it will challenge Ms Clinton's authority if she is waving a stick at China over internet freedom yet letting Australia plough its own course.

"If we expect consistency from United States Cabinet members, particularly a Secretary of State, I think we've sorely misplaced our expectations, because this is a measure aimed primarily at China at this point in time," he said.

Dr McKinley also argues the issue will not be contentious between the two countries, because he does not believe the proposed internet filter in Australia will actually work.

That is a view shared by the President of Australian Lawyers for Human Rights, Susan Harris-Rimmer.

"That depicts the fine regulation because it keeps being able to be hacked into [and able to] overcome all kinds of government control," she said.

"So it's the beauty and the danger of the net that governments are trying to deal with and they're not doing a very good job of it yet."

Dr Harris-Rimmer says the broader question that must be settled is which infringements on the rights of people to access information on the internet are legitimate in the interest of public safety, and which are not.

China condemns US

But China has come out condemning any criticism of Beijing's controls on the internet, saying Washington's push against online censorship could harm relations between the two big powers.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Ma Zhaoxu said the US criticisms could hurt ties between the two nations, which are both among the world's biggest economies.

"The US has criticised China's policies to administer the internet and insinuated that China restricts internet freedom," Mr Ma said.

"This runs contrary to the facts and is harmful to China-US relations.

"We urge the United States to respect the facts and cease using so-called internet freedom to make groundless accusations against China."

But the Chinese spokesman also indicated that his government did not want to see the dispute overwhelm cooperation with the Obama administration, which has sought Beijing's

Love how Hitler Stephen Conroy tries to dodge this and twist Clinton's words. What a stupid faggot.
01-23-2010 09:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
Re: Clinton speech boosts anti-filter campaign

Nanny Rudd strikes again.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
01-24-2010 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  WikiLeaks founder says he's been targeted by smear campaign HeartofShadows 2 2,064 09-11-2010 09:13 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Filter goes ahead regardless AWOL 55 10,088 06-01-2010 08:29 PM
Last Post: AWOL
  687 ISPs invited to secret filter forum psychopath 13 2,676 05-29-2010 03:04 PM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Am I the only one here who supports Australia's web filter? John Tuttle 64 8,484 04-09-2010 08:26 AM
Last Post: username01462781
  Australian Filter Updates + China psychopath 4 1,824 03-26-2010 02:55 PM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  China Says Clinton Remarks on Internet Censorship ‘Damage’ T psychopath 6 1,975 01-26-2010 01:57 AM
Last Post: Ceiling Cat
  Bill Clinton secures release of journalists in NK John Tuttle 4 2,025 08-11-2009 05:17 PM
Last Post: whistlingwings
  Brak Obama or Hillary Clinton Specter 14 3,711 05-14-2008 12:03 PM
Last Post: Ahab
  Hillary Clinton Darthmat 37 6,523 04-17-2008 12:19 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd