RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do YOU propose K-12 education should be changed?
flea77 Offline
Rebel

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
How do YOU propose K-12 education should be changed?

This is a serious question. I am just curious about the changes that people think should or could be made to make K-12 public education better and more productive.

There are so many glaring problems, so what are the solutions?
02-01-2010 03:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
aerftghyjk Offline
Fanatic

Given 17 thank(s) in 13 post(s)
Re: How do YOU propose K-12 education should be changed?

I think schools would be better off as learning centers like libraries, but there's tons of equipment and all for subjects.

As for careers, jobs, diplomas, etc, the current unschooling system, with a few changes maybe.
02-01-2010 03:46 AM
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)

One, we need to focus on what people like, instead of a huge generalization of what people can choose from.

Zero tolerance needs to go away, just gone, it's pathetic.

We need to stop thinking all people are alike, people have different ways they learn, and different ways they think.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
02-01-2010 03:54 AM
flea77 Offline
Rebel

I had never given much thought to making school non-compulsary. I'm not sure why... I had just never imagined it as a possibility. But I'm really beginning to see merit in it now that I think about it.

But I have a question to propose about that. I know it may not be as common thinking here, but in other places, some kids really desperately want to attend school but have parents who won't allow them for many reasons. Do you think these kids should be allowed to attend school, or the govenmnet should intervene in a special circumstance like this? Or this is all up to those parents?

Just a question
02-01-2010 03:55 AM
flea77 Offline
Rebel

Loxor Wrote:Zero tolerance needs to go away, just gone, it's pathetic.

LOL... me and zero tolerance go waaaay back Biggrin
02-01-2010 03:56 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Abolishing it would be a good start.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
02-01-2010 04:01 AM
Thade Offline
Fanatic

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I'd like it if we got to chose what classes we take. And I don't mean like the required classes either. I mean if we don't want to take English then we shouldn't have to.

Someone dear to me once said "We are the light." But, if that's true, then why am I still searching?
02-01-2010 04:10 AM
Colin Offline
Pariah

Given 14 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

First off, school cannot be compulsory. If we have to choose a system that's broken, no matter what, then there's going to be no way we can change it. People tend to vote with their feet if they don't like a particular restaurant, but if that's the only one around, that restaurant is going to be able to do whatever it wants, and people won't be able to a damned thing about it. (Excluding not going of course, for the sake of the analogy.) That's the starting point for a legal revolution, but, of course, it's probably not going to be that easy. In fact, school becoming non-compulsory will probably be one of the last things to happen.

PLEASE, TELL US JUSTIN
[Image: ubd5511.png]
02-01-2010 05:16 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Get rid of the following:
the fact that it's compulsory
grades
homework
busywork
seperation of classes by age
teacher "authority" over students

Basically, model ALL schools after these kinds of schools:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summerhill_School
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury_school
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_education
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_school

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-01-2010 09:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

SoulRiser Wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_school
I would fucking cut off one of my toes to go to one of those.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
02-01-2010 10:42 AM
Thade Offline
Fanatic

My biggest concern is homework. As long as we get rid of that AND the dumbass teachers I'm good. I mean why can't we just learn using computers? We could go to the building "school" and be taught induvidually by computers in different classrooms.

Someone dear to me once said "We are the light." But, if that's true, then why am I still searching?
02-01-2010 11:29 AM
The Desert Fox Offline

Thade Wrote:I mean why can't we just learn using computers? We could go to the building "school" and be taught induvidually by computers in different classrooms.
Clicky

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
02-01-2010 11:46 AM
Thade Offline
Fanatic

I like it.

02-01-2010 11:50 AM
The Desert Fox Offline

Thade Wrote:I like it.
It's far from perfect, but still a hell of a lot better than anything else I've tried.

Hidden stuff:
Faby Wrote:
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
[/center]
02-01-2010 11:56 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Thade Wrote:My biggest concern is homework. As long as we get rid of that AND the dumbass teachers I'm good. I mean why can't we just learn using computers? We could go to the building "school" and be taught induvidually by computers in different classrooms.
Better yet, we should be able to do this from home.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
02-01-2010 11:58 AM
Thade Offline
Fanatic

It would make things hell of a lot easier.

02-03-2010 06:01 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

flea77 Wrote:But I have a question to propose about that. I know it may not be as common thinking here, but in other places, some kids really desperately want to attend school but have parents who won't allow them for many reasons. Do you think these kids should be allowed to attend school, or the govenmnet should intervene in a special circumstance like this? Or this is all up to those parents?

Just a question

Talking about parents is a touchy subject. I think kids who want to go to school should definitely be allowed to. The problem is when they want out of school, they have to be able to get out. I really like memento's idea about school turning into a huge library sorta thing.

If school was just a huge government-funded library with as much resources as kids need to learn anything they wan't I would go every day, happily. If we could just roam around and sign out books that we wan't and use computers whenever we wan't and do whatever we wan't it would be great. It could also offer technical school type places. Like places were people learn how to work in there professions e.g: Auto-shops and things of that sort. It could also have class's but not mandatory ones. Classes you can sign up for but don't have to go to. And you don't have to go if you don't wan't to. And maybe have teachers for popular subjects.

That would be the best educational facility I can think of. And nothing would be mandatory.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-03-2010 06:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I say, completely erase K12 save for a few non-mandatory educational centers for people in less advanced places so they can learn to read, and spend the billions saved on something more useful, like a better and less corrupted medical care, environment protection, or help in worldwide emergencies like the recent Haiti mess.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
02-03-2010 07:08 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

I agree with school being a library. My dad was being an idiot by saying "Well, what if they want to just study art, then they wont know how to read."

Noo

But yea, imagine getting up, at around twelve, even though it opens at around six, riding your bike to this building, walking in, and you suddenly feel like walking to the history room. There are atlases, maps, textbooks (without retarded questions in the back) and computers. You feel like learning about Galileo today. You don't have to do any work, but you do get an endless amount of resources.
Freaking beautiful.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
02-03-2010 07:42 AM
SuperiorDiplomat Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

Well going off the library with it not being mandatory, It wouldn't work.
If you just have random people roaming around a library/school type thing it would cause problems.
Sorry there are retarded people everywhere and that many children in one area not getting in fights... I'm all for the idea, But this not the way to go or needs revision.
First of all what teacher would want to teach a class where children are coming in and out and in and out and you never see them again unless they come back for the next lesson You can never really teach anything because new kids will join everyday and you can't continue on the same subject as before as children returning will want to continue. The new ones will not because they will be lost. I say you would have to sign up for the class.. it would be a mess without. For gifted children there would be higher level classes really you could choose anything as it was said. But also what about failing and going on to collage with all of this you would have to have some kind of grading system or something! Just a profile where all your work is kept? But
yea you cannot just make classes that are not mandatory and you can go one day and skip another one if you don't feel like it you would never get anything done and its really not efficient. Also this would cost a lot of money and idiot people would break equipment on purpose even if they were not being forced to. It would overall just become a "hangout" place for everyone and no real learning could be done unless you were serious about having an education. I don't know... correct me if i'm wrong and give me an actual answer not "YOU BE A DUMBAZZ"

http://www.launchpadmovement.com/ "done as fuck"

Carla, Carla, Carla... You whore.
02-03-2010 08:07 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

You are indeed wrong. The troublemakers would stay away from such places, and hang out somewhere else - after all, they wouldn't be forced to go anywhere. For the signup... no, everyone can learn on their own if they aren't coerced into shutting up like they are now.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
02-03-2010 08:16 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Pockets Wrote:Well going off the library with it not being mandatory, It wouldn't work.
If you just have random people roaming around a library/school type thing it would cause
problems. Sorry there are retarded people everywhere and that many children in one area not getting in fights... I'm all for the idea, But this not the way to go or needs revision.
You could put security guards if you wanted. Unlike school they wouldn't be there to arrest kids for breaking rules they would be there to make sure no one gets harassed and no one gets in fights on the premise and no one steals things or breaks things.

Pockets Wrote:First of all what teacher would want to teach a class where children are coming in and out and in and out and you never see them again unless they come back for the next lesson You can never really teach anything because new kids will join everyday and you can't continue on the same subject as before as children returning will want to continue. The new ones will not because they will be lost. I say you would have to sign up for the class.. it would be a mess without.

You could just have lecture type classes were teachers cover one short topic per lecture. Besides, giving out work is just a way of proving the students know about the subject which doesn't exactly help learning only proves the person learned it. And if the student wants to learn it and didn't he/she can just read up on it on a computer or in the library... If a teacher wants to have a class and students want to as well you could have sign ups for them and students who hate it would be allowed to drop it and students who like it could stay in. Students who want to join but are late will be able to sit in on the classes anyway and try to learn what they missed on there own. Overall I think tests and quizzes and things are unnecessary to actually learning.

Pockets Wrote:For gifted children there would be higher level classes really you could choose anything as it was said. But also what about failing and going on to collage with all of this you would have to have some kind of grading system or something! Just a profile where all your work is kept? But yea you cannot just make classes that are not mandatory and you can go one day and skip another one if you don't feel like it you would never get anything done and its really not efficient.
Personally I think employers should be responsible for hiring people who are good at there jobs not just people who have good grades. College seems like a waste to me. If I can learn to do everything I need on my own why do I need college to tell me I'm good at it? Employers should be able to test potential workers. Or maybe workers could set up a good presentation of there work and the employers could figure out weather the person is good enough for the job. Once schools are gone companies would have to find alternative ways of determining the skills of workers.

Pockets Wrote:Also this would cost a lot of money and idiot people would break equipment on purpose even if they were not being forced to. It would overall just become a "hangout" place for everyone and no real learning could be done unless you were serious about having an education. I don't know... correct me if I'm wrong and give me an actual answer not "YOU BE A DUMBAZZ"

There is an actual answer for you Smile

And again, security guards. Also, it would solve the whole. STUDENTZ WOULDNT KNOW HOW TO SOCIALIZE WITHOUT SKEWL!!!1!!1! issue. What's wrong with a hangout? It would keep kids off the "streets" like so many of the adults think school does today. Without school students would probably have a natural desire to learn about the world around them. I do even to this day with school. Before going into the school system I always asked questions, and I'm sure everyone else did to. (maybe).

Blog I post to now:

02-03-2010 08:27 AM
SuperiorDiplomat Offline
Revolutionary

Ceiling Cat Wrote:You are indeed wrong. The troublemakers would stay away from such places, and hang out somewhere else - after all, they wouldn't be forced to go anywhere. For the signup... no, everyone can learn on their own if they aren't coerced into shutting up like they are now.

We might be able to change the school system but there is no way that we won't have to have some type of schooling and for parents that force there kids to go.. Also what about arts and music. You cannot learn how to draw with no teacher.. also there are all kinds of different ways of learning some don't learn well by the book or computer screen!

Absentinsomniac Wrote:You could put security guards if you wanted. Unlike school they wouldn't be there to arrest kids for breaking rules they would be there to make sure no one gets harassed and no one gets in fights on the premise and no one steals things or breaks things.
I think there could be other ways of handling security seems to jail type to me :S but yea good Idea!

02-03-2010 08:38 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Pockets Wrote:We might be able to change the school system but there is no way that we won't have to have some type of schooling and for parents that force there kids to go.. Also what about arts and music. You cannot learn how to draw with no teacher.. also there are all kinds of different ways of learning some don't learn well by the book or computer screen!

This library idea IS a school system. Also, some of the most famous painters and musicians taught themselves how to play and paint. Also, you can always find instructors and people willing to teach you. You can have classes for painting and look up how to in books and on the net... School has only been around for a certain amount of time, people before this taught themselves everything they needed to learn.

Blog I post to now:

02-03-2010 08:54 AM
SuperiorDiplomat Offline
Revolutionary

They have been taught by there parents etc.
This needs to be more organized if we even want anything to happen.

02-03-2010 08:56 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Pockets Wrote:They have been taught by there parents etc.
This needs to be more organized if we even want anything to happen.

Sure implementing it will be hard but it's as organized as it needs to be. We both just stated opinions by the way...

Blog I post to now:

02-03-2010 09:06 AM
SuperiorDiplomat Offline
Revolutionary

mhm Smile

02-03-2010 09:07 AM
Thade Offline
Fanatic

The books need to burn. I mean, it's like, "Why are you asking me these questions? You have the answers!!" That's why I hate books with stupid questions.

02-03-2010 11:24 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

I say, burn all for-profit, stupid textbooks with no point besides being sold to schools. Yes, that means all of the crap we are using now, and replace it with books on the subject that actually contain something else than flashy Google Image results, and some text copypasted from the previous version.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
02-03-2010 11:29 AM
Thade Offline
Fanatic

Ceiling Cat Wrote:I say, burn all for-profit, stupid textbooks with no point besides being sold to schools. Yes, that means all of the crap we are using now, and replace it with books on the subject that actually contain something else than flashy Google Image results, and some text copypasted from the previous version.
That reminds me. My school blocked google images. I was like Wtf "Mr.Nueman!! Google Images is blocked!!!!!!" His response: "Oh, yeah, I know."

02-03-2010 11:34 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Woah, this place sure changed... GamerGurl 32 15,634 07-24-2014 11:29 AM
Last Post: Absnt
  Changed to Eintitys house parteh EntityCubed 76 31,247 11-20-2013 03:03 PM
Last Post: HawkbitAlpha
  I propose the creation of an anti-school activist group. Absnt 154 25,566 04-29-2011 06:10 AM
Last Post: Absnt