RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can tell our new admin is jockeying to fire me
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

I can tell our new admin is jockeying to fire me at the end of the year. For me, it's impossible to change anything from inside or outside. It's pointless, frustrating and depressing. :waah: Life can be really exhausting.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
02-22-2010 10:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Re: I can tell our new admin is jockeying to fire me

Look, you can't expect to "change the system" if you're at the lowest part of the system, the grunt of the school system. Maybe being a teacher would help get you some credibility when dealing with educational issues, but really as a teacher you are part of the system, you are helping it, unless you're not doing your official job and you somehow bring down the system in a way harmless to the students, which I doubt.
02-22-2010 10:30 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

It's not like I'm a deep dish revolutionary or anything but I do (and don't do) a lot of things that make life a bit easier on the kids I teach.

Captain Beefheart
02-23-2010 10:43 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I know this isn't the most sympathetic forum for teachers but I thought you guys might say something like 'Keep your chin up Cancer or something like that'

Isn't it obvious I'm looking for sympathy???

Captain Beefheart
02-24-2010 10:52 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

TheCancer Wrote:I know this isn't the most sympathetic forum for teachers but I thought you guys might say something like 'Keep your chin up Cancer or something like that'

No one should come here looking for sympathy... teacher or otherwise. Too many assholes here.

Hopefully you'll find another job if it ever comes to that.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
02-24-2010 10:56 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:
TheCancer Wrote:I know this isn't the most sympathetic forum for teachers but I thought you guys might say something like 'Keep your chin up Cancer or something like that'

No one should come here looking for sympathy... teacher or otherwise. Too many assholes here.

Hopefully you'll find another job if it ever comes to that.
Hopefully a less immoral one.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
02-24-2010 12:12 PM
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I'm not very good with words of encouragement, but I do hope that you don't get fired, or if you do you find another one quickly, hopefully where they'll accept you more.
02-24-2010 10:58 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

If you can find some democratic schools in your area, I'd bet it'd be pretty awesome to teach at one of those.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
02-25-2010 04:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aviator Offline
Pariah

Given 7 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

I wish you the best - hopefully things will work out. Just keep your appraisal scores up, and get in contact with a Union Representative - I hear they're helpful for teachers to have. But, what is it exactly that's wedged up this admin's butt? What's his beef? Does he find you to be too supportive? Too caring, for his tastes?

Or, is there really something that you can improve on?

If there is something that you can improve on that will make your admin happier, do it! Job security is probably closely related to happiness - and if you can redeem yourself, it'll be one less load of stress on your plate.

It is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission. - Neal Vitale
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun.
Everyone can back up their opinions. Some people just do it a whole lot better than others. - Rebelnerd
Here's to the men and women who did what was considered wrong, in order to do what they knew was right.
'Of course it is happening inside your head, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?'" - JK Rowling
02-27-2010 03:19 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Quote:But, what is it exactly that's wedged up this admin's butt? What's his beef?

She's new at our school but she knew me when I used to sub at her school and as a sub I just totally ignored the sub plans and did whatever I wanted. Then when I got a full time position the child of one of the teachers at the school I subbed at was in my class and she (the teacher mommy) never shut her mouth for a minute about how much she hated me.

Quote:Does he find you to be too supportive? Too caring, for his tastes?

One class I teach is a special ed. academic support class with only 10 students and I take about five minutes at the start every day to ask each one individually if there's anything I can help them with at school. I don't phrase it like that because the kids wouldn't respond so I just go around saying, 'So what's up?' I actually have a lot of power to improve their lives. I've been able to prevent fights, stop other kids from calling them 'retard' and names like that, discovered who didn't even have money for their reduced lunch (not even 50 cents) so I make sure they get a lunch no matter what (not just the crappy free grilled cheese everyday- I just pay for it myself), I discovered two children were suicidal and may have saved their lives- and so on. But now I've been told that EVERY second of class must be dedicated to their state standardized testing score. ANYTHING besides that is considered to be out of complaince. But not only that - EXACTLY what weaknesses in the students academics is predetermined by previous tests and they're not do ANYTHING else, EVER. There's no way I'm giving up everything I've worked on as far as building a sense of community with my disabled students just to harp on one damn test and do exactly the same thing again that they do all day just to pick up a few more points in the 'annual yearly progress' game that keeps our school in compliance with No Child Left Behind. They know that the chances of my students graduating high school with a general diploma with the testing standards set like they are now is very unlikely so the points they gain on the test only benefit the admin. They don't even help me because the scores come out over the summer when my next contract has already been accpeted or denied. One year at another school I had the highest gains in our whole department but I still got let go.

Quote: Or, is there really something that you can improve on?

There's lots I can improve on and two sides to every story. Is it about my teaching, is it about my past, is it because other teachers don't like my laid back ways, is it because I pass EVERYBODY (even in general ed.), is it because I refuse to show 'leadership' (which boils down to yelling at students during lunch and in the halls)? It's always a combination of things. I've gone nuts in meetings behind the scenes, cussing and throwing things- because the garbage they try to feed me- seriously- it's awful.

Quote:If there is something that you can improve on that will make your admin happier, do it! Job security is probably closely related to happiness - and if you can redeem yourself, it'll be one less load of stress on your plate

I hear you! I've always been a hippy gypsy type floating around from one thing to the next but yeah it wears you out.

Captain Beefheart
02-27-2010 10:41 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Sometimes doing things your own way makes others angry. I'd suggest just improving on what you wan't to improve and teaching the students how you want' to teach them. It sounds like a good system to me.

The thing is, I'm not the one who has to support myself with a stable job, so do what you have to do, just try not to change yourself just to keep a job.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-28-2010 03:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Sometimes doing things your own way makes others angry. I'd suggest just improving on what you wan't to improve and teaching the students how you want' to teach them. It sounds like a good system to me.

The thing is, I'm not the one who has to support myself with a stable job, so do what you have to do, just try not to change yourself just to keep a job.

Thanks. I never have and I never will.

Captain Beefheart
02-28-2010 05:17 AM
AMomentOfClarity Offline
Renegade

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

What the fuck? Seriously, what the fuck? You're getting fired?! Ouch...I've been reading this forum and deciphering it carefully, from what I've gathered you are the epitome of an ingenious, revolutionary teacher. Though the irony is your getting fired...Though I have a lot of apathy for teacher's you seem to the black sheep amongst the flock, you seem like a wonderfully caring and supportive woman. Frankly the new admin isn't able to comprehend and hypothesize what good teaching is, some of your methods may be unorthodox according to many teachers. Though I believe your methods have done a significant amount of greatness to the school, this abomination of an admin thinks they are the embodiment of tyranny when really there futile entities you can have revolutionize the system in are favor do everything you can to not get yourself sacked, love a teacher like you would be brilliant in the Uk the school system is so distorted...Hug Good luck.
03-01-2010 02:39 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

I'm still not surprised at all, my aunt was fired for the very same reasons.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
03-01-2010 03:52 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Do your students like you? I mean, a lot.

Because, I've known one teacher like you, but the schools too chickenshit to fire him, because 1. His wife is the math teacher, and 2. Because almost everyone gets an A on the standardized tests. Only 2 people failed it, out of the whole school. He's probably the best teacher our school has ever had. His only problem is he bombards us with class work. He just teaches so fast, I get confused on my slow days. Shrug

Okay, I'm actually going somewhere with this. If he said he was getting fired, I'd start a petition, and get the fucking media involved. Maybe your students would do the same?

Faith o' Meter
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
03-01-2010 05:16 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

AMOC-
Thank you, that was very kind.

Quote:Do your students like you? I mean, a lot.

Some do, some don't.

Quote:His only problem is he bombards us with class work. He just teaches so fast, I get confused on my slow days.

I actually teach very slowly.

Quote:Okay, I'm actually going somewhere with this. If he said he was getting fired, I'd start a petition, and get the [snip] media involved. Maybe your students would do the same?

I wouldn't want anything like that. Even the thought of it makes me uncomfortable. I don't want to be in a spotlight or under a microscope. I want to fly under the radar.

On a sidenote, one thing that makes me suspicious of Cotto is that he won those teacher of the year awards. There's a lot of self-promotion behind that kind of thing.

Captain Beefheart
03-01-2010 09:56 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Gatto?

Faith o' Meter
03-01-2010 09:57 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

CrayolaColours Wrote:Gatto?

Yeah, my bad.

Captain Beefheart
03-01-2010 10:10 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Yea, I always wondered how that was possible.

Faith o' Meter
03-01-2010 10:15 AM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)
RE: I can tell our new admin is jockeying to fire me

[Image: tumblr_lucm0ex0mm1qec8bco1_500.gif]

Have you tried showing her this? Remember - learning is the top one or possibly the second-top one.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
03-31-2013 12:14 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Trekkie, y u keep bumping old threads?

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
03-31-2013 02:26 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

ANUTHA ZOMBUH!

*Ditches revolver, grabs shotgun*

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
03-31-2013 03:47 AM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

(03-19-2013 08:42 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  [Image: 6806755117933398567]

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
03-31-2013 04:06 AM