RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obama increasing reading and math standards.
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Obama increasing reading and math standards.

Here's an article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/education/23educ.html

It seems he want's to increase reading and math standards so they are better adapted for jobs and college.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
02-23-2010 08:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Loxor Offline
Fanatic

Given 11 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
Re: Obama increasing reading and math standards.

Only by raising the standards? This won't help at all.

Anything that ever happened or will... one condition, it has to be amazing.

I gave her wings but she don't wanna fly no more.

I'm sittin' on the dock of the bay
Watching the tide roll away
Ooo, I'm just sittin' on the dock of the bay
Wastin' time
02-23-2010 08:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Exactly, just more busywork. And our schools already are too obsessed with standards, to a point were that's all they worry about. In my school, they have entire classes devoted to increasing the standards on the state exams.

Blog I post to now:

02-23-2010 08:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KittyKatBlack Offline
Resident Brony

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Hell, my school won't survive if the standards are raised. There isn't enough brain power in that school to power a toy car.
02-23-2010 11:20 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

KittyKatBlack Wrote:Hell, my school won't survive if the standards are raised. There isn't enough brain power in that school to power a toy car.

I lol'd. Laugh

But seriously, I never thought a good GPA=smart person. I have a high GPA (hell, I'm one of the top students in my grade), but I don't consider myself intelligent. There is so much to learn, so much to do, how could I ever have the conceit to call myself truly "educated"?

I am against raising the standards for multiple reasons. One, it's all for competition. We'll look smarter than the Koreans and Japanese, but the children don't actually learn anything. They cram more information in for harder exams, and then forget it all anyway. Two, it's a waste of time and energy. Higher standards do not mean kids are suddenly going to "shape up." Some will just give up, others will burn out even more, and most will just suck it up and let school destroy their lives even more. Sounds extreme? Not really. My school keeps raising the standards, but the "smart" kids at my school who do well on their exams and in their "tough" classes are some of the most sheltered people I've ever met. Third, it's not real education. This ties into reason one, where it's all for competition. Higher standards do not actually foster a love of learning, they make kids resent school even more and burn them out.

We don't need "higher standards." We need freedom and the government to get the fuck out of trying to educate (brainwash) people.
03-21-2010 05:00 AM
Sanjuro Offline
Fanatic

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

This makes no sense
Quote:If they school can't teach well enough, generaly due to lack of funds, we'll cut thier funding. BRILLIANT!
No Child Left Behind= Pure Fail

Napalm Sticks To Kids
03-21-2010 05:03 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

My math teacher said something about having to pass state exams to pass the grade within the next few years.. :waah:

Blog I post to now:

03-21-2010 06:03 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Pssht, I hate standardized tests, but I've taken enough of them; they're fucking easy and a waste of time, and I consider myself to be lazy and someone who gives up goals easily (haven't gotten back to learning calculus/math, a Blender game I haven't finished or worked on for two years, and I haven't made any websites/blogs with AdSense, etc to make money). Public education is a mediocre piece of shit.

This no-child-left-behind bullshit.. didn't it start the concept of truancy?

[Image: glorious666.png]
03-21-2010 08:21 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Here's an article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/education/23educ.html

It seems he want's to increase reading and math standards so they are better adapted for jobs and college.

Basically kissing big businesses ass so they can get more *Experienced* workers for less.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
03-21-2010 08:22 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Problem: Students aren't making good enough grades.

Solution: Make it harder for students to get a passing grade.

Wow, I'm sure many a sleepless night was spent on this.

I'm starting to hate Obama because of shit like this. It's so obvious he doesn't give a shit about kids at all.
03-22-2010 02:31 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Believe me if you listened to his biography he made in 2004 then you would know the real barack obama.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
03-22-2010 04:26 PM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

Cosbydaf Wrote:Problem: Students aren't making good enough grades.

Solution: Make it harder for students to get a passing grade.

Wow, I'm sure many a sleepless night was spent on this.

Win.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
03-23-2010 01:53 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Sanjuro Wrote:This makes no sense
Quote:If they school can't teach well enough, generaly due to lack of funds, we'll cut thier funding. BRILLIANT!
No Child Left Behind= Pure Fail

Trufax Yes

About truancy: when did it become a big deal? I had a friend who graduated in 2002, and she played hooky all the time. However, they never checked attendance and she still graduate. Now, I'm allowed no more than 9 absences a semester.
03-23-2010 08:41 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Increasing Number of States Declaring Sovereignty Jackass McAwesome 6 2,072 02-10-2009 03:45 PM
Last Post: Jackass McAwesome