RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you a nonconformist?
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)
Re: Are you a nonconformist?

Does watching PBS count as being non-conformist?

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-22-2011 11:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Since this thread has been bumped I figured I would address this;

Thought Criminal Wrote:It was made by a contractor the government. Not specifically the military.

DARPA is not a government contractor. DARPA is a DoD (read military) agency. They're basically the military's wallet. Darpa funding = military funding = military involvement in the development of the internet.
07-23-2011 12:23 AM
Horrid Dreamer Offline
Raw fish person

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:Does watching PBS count as being non-conformist?
I don't think liking a particular thing makes you a non conformist. I think what does is doing what you want and not just going along with the crowd.

Am I a non conformist?

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Half the time I'm forced to conform to something or other. My school has uniforms and is very conformist. We've actually been warned aginst 'selfishnes and individualism'.
Outside of school, I'm a non conformist. In school the only way I can be a non conformist is through my words and thoughts.
I never do anything just because its popular, or a lot of people are doing it. I say and think whatever I want. I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks of me, and I won't change for anyone who thinks I should 'fit in'. I'm proud to be different from a lot of people in my school. I don't care about being labeled 'weird'. If anything, I love it when someone calls me weird. Why would I want to fit in to this ignorant, vapid, shallow, rigidly controlled, authoritarian dictatorship, this piss poor excuse for an educational institution they call a catholic school. And I know there are others like me in the school, probably more than I know, but the majority are ignorant, stupid conformist jerks who don't think for themselves and regurgitate what their parents and the authority tell them. And I've seen evidence of this, I'm not just raving.

Is adult entertainment killing our children? or is killing our children entertaining our adults?
-Marilyn Manson
07-23-2011 12:35 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Horrid Dreamer Wrote:
Weswammy Wrote:Does watching PBS count as being non-conformist?
I don't think liking a particular thing makes you a non conformist. I think what does is doing what you want and not just going along with the crowd.

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Half the time I'm forced to conform to something or other. My school has uniforms and is very conformist. We've actually been warned aginst 'selfishnes and individualism'.
Outside of school, I'm a non conformist. In school the only way I can be a non conformist is through my words and thoughts.
I never do anything just because its popular, or a lot of people are doing it. I say and think whatever I want. I don't give a shit what anyone else thinks of me, and I won't change for anyone who thinks I should 'fit in'. I'm proud to be different from a lot of people in my school. I don't care about being labeled 'weird'. If anything, I love it when someone calls me weird. Why would I want to fit in to this ignorant, vapid, shallow, rigidly controlled, authoritarian dictatorship, this piss poor excuse for an educational institution they call a catholic school. And I know there are others like me in the school, probably more than I know, but the majority are ignorant, stupid conformist jerks who don't think for themselves and regurgitate what their parents and the authority tell them. And I've seen evidence of this, I'm not just raving.
I got cargo shorts because everyone was wearing them...
WHY CAN'T I BE LIKE YOU?

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-23-2011 12:39 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

LOL

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
07-23-2011 12:45 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

We are all conformists

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

07-23-2011 12:45 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

I'm a guy with long hair that listens to black metal. That just screams non-conformist.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
08-09-2011 11:54 AM
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

gore goroth Wrote:I'm a guy with long hair that listens to black metal. That just screams non-conformist.
That screams anti-conformity, retard.

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
08-09-2011 11:58 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Blobthe15 Wrote:
gore goroth Wrote:I'm a guy with long hair that listens to black metal. That just screams non-conformist.
Same fucking difference.

08-09-2011 12:13 PM
Blobthe15 Offline

gore goroth Wrote:
Blobthe15 Wrote:
Same fucking difference.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18916_5-r...rmity.html

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

Hidden stuff:
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
08-09-2011 12:20 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

LOLNO.
I don't just listen to black metal for the very sake not conforming. I just happen to like lots of unpopular things. Not just black metal. It sounds like you are making some half-ass assumption that I am some goth kid or something. I usually just think that most popular shit is pretty fucking stupid like reality TV and Justin Beiber. Just simply the way I am. The popular opinion is not always right and to be honest, usually wrong. Besides, aren't we all in the "angsty people who hate public school" counterculture?

08-09-2011 03:42 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

butz wut if i liek da group moar than other group you know

I guess you just have to not take anything too seriously.

[Image: glorious666.png]
08-09-2011 03:57 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

In Australia most schools force students to wear uniform (includes on the way home and too school) getting caught without uniform gives you a detention.
DAMN AMERICANS AND THEY'RE CASUAL CLOTHES AND RED CUPS AT PARTIES!

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
08-09-2011 04:07 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Just making a point. All the established countercultures like skater kids, emos, goths, hipsters etc. would hate my guts anyway. Not whiny enough to be emo, hipsters would say im too mainstream because I play xbox 360 or some shit like that, etc...

08-09-2011 04:08 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Ayliana Wrote:Since this thread has been bumped I figured I would address this;

Thought Criminal Wrote:It was made by a contractor the government. Not specifically the military.

DARPA is not a government contractor. DARPA is a DoD (read military) agency. They're basically the military's wallet. Darpa funding = military funding = military involvement in the development of the internet.

This is Wikipedia so I wouldn't take its word to the dot but:
Quote:commissioned by the United States government in collaboration with private commercial interests to build robust, fault-tolerant, and distributed computer networks. The funding of a new U.S. backbone by the National Science Foundation in the 1980s, as well as private funding for other commercial backbones, led to worldwide participation in the development of new networking technologies, and the merger of many networks.
It WAS commissioned by DARPA for military use though so I stand corrected on that Biggrin
08-09-2011 04:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

gore goroth Wrote:Just making a point. All the established countercultures like skater kids, emos, goths, hipsters etc. would hate my guts anyway. Not whiny enough to be emo, hipsters would say im too mainstream because I play xbox 360 or some shit like that, etc...
Those "established countercultures" like skaters, hipsters, emos etc are just fake. They're just going against society to stand out and look cool. I don't go against society to look cool.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
08-09-2011 04:31 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Who cares? I do what I do because I enjoy it. Fuck everybody else.
08-09-2011 04:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Efstratios Prime Wrote:In Australia most schools force students to wear uniform (includes on the way home and too school) getting caught without uniform gives you a detention.
DAMN AMERICANS AND THEY'RE CASUAL CLOTHES AND RED CUPS AT PARTIES!
My public middle school had uniforms and gave detentions and all of that shit here in the US, and uniforms are the law on my stupid old country. It's written on the constitution or some shit, and it's the same uniform for every school in the country.

gore goroth Wrote:Just making a point. All the established countercultures like skater kids, emos, goths, hipsters etc. would hate my guts anyway. Not whiny enough to be emo, hipsters would say im too mainstream because I play xbox 360 or some shit like that, etc...
I lol'd.

08-09-2011 04:36 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

This entire thread reeks of HIPSTER
08-09-2011 07:47 PM
Geeksta Offline
Revolutionary

Given 3 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

To answer the question in the OP, I'm a little bit of a non-conformist. I don't feel the need to do things different to do things different, but nor do I see the need to do things same way as everyone else.

Freedom is never given; it is always taken. So for the fact that you're not a slave, don't thank those in authority. Thank someone with a "bad attitude."
-Kevin Carson

sexual abuse of sheep is baaaaaaaaad
-BaronVonStrangle

School brings us together, but it doesn't bring us together
-Derchin

We lost Vietnam cuz we didn't train our soldiers to quickscope.
-gore goroth
08-09-2011 09:45 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I don't give a shit whether I'm a conformist or non-conformist. Getting too attached to the idea of being a 'non-conformist' kinda makes you a bit of a conformist actually.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-10-2011 12:00 AM
Blobthe15 Offline

SoulRiser Wrote:I don't give a shit whether I'm a conformist or non-conformist. Getting too attached to the idea of being a 'non-conformist' kinda makes you a bit of a conformist actually.
Yea, you're right actually. Sorry gore, got a little mad. Wait, if I conform to your ideas then I'm a conformist who is conforming to the idea of not caring.

[Image: i-like-were-this-thread-is-going]

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:

Hidden stuff:
Weswammy Wrote:

08-10-2011 10:39 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Thought Criminal Wrote:Who cares? I do what I do because I enjoy it. Fuck everybody else.
Fucking this

08-10-2011 10:54 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

[Image: 970290_f520.jpg]

08-11-2011 07:15 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

I am happy to live with what I got and my own ideals. I always question ideas.

ZZZ...
08-12-2011 05:46 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Lunatic Wrote:
Thought Criminal Wrote:Who cares? I do what I do because I enjoy it. Fuck everybody else.
Fucking this

As usual thought criminal shines like a policeman's flashlight in my face as they beat me on the concrete pavement... Oops bad memories.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
08-12-2011 06:11 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Blobthe15 Wrote:
SoulRiser Wrote:I don't give a shit whether I'm a conformist or non-conformist. Getting too attached to the idea of being a 'non-conformist' kinda makes you a bit of a conformist actually.
Yea, you're right actually. Sorry gore, got a little mad. Wait, if I conform to your ideas then I'm a conformist who is conforming to the idea of not caring.

[Image: i-like-were-this-thread-is-going]
Yo dawg, I heard u like not conforming.
[Image: yo_dawg_function_t.jpg]
So I didn't conform to non-conformity so you can start a counter-culture to counter cultures.

09-08-2011 01:46 PM