RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After working in a stereotypical office environment for...
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 339 thank(s) in 182 post(s)
After working in a stereotypical office environment for...

... a few months now, I can honestly say that all those teachers who said, "What are you gonna do when you get out in the real world?" didn't have a clue as to what they were talking about. They probably need to get out in the real world, instead of being teachers and deluding themselves with their own bullshit. Obviously they have never been in the real world before.

I turned in shit late all the time in high school. Sometimes, I just flat out didn't do things. Yep, I was lazy, and apathetic.

Now I have the stereotypical, pusher paper, cubical job in a tax office.

I started ranting about this, because I just read someone else's post that said when students broke the dress code for baggy jeans, they would force you to wear sweat pants with "DRESS CODE" on them. I don't understand what this teaches anyone, and frankly, the administration of the school is extremely immature for doing that.

True story: It was like my first week on the job. I wasn't in a habit of getting my clothes together every morning, so I got fucked with having all my work clothes dirty. It was early in the season, so there was basically no customers and "work" was just coming to work to socialize with others. I decided what the hell, and threw on my blue jeans, brown loafers, and a sweater. That was against our dress code (gotta wear slacks, full button up shirt, and tie preferred every day), coworkers just lol'd at me and said, "Hey man get some work clothes." and that was the end of it. My manager was there, she didn't even give a shit, she didn't say anything.

Policies against facial hair are strange as well. I started growing out my facial hair and I have a 'stache, and a beard growing, and some on my neck as well. It's getting pretty scruffy, and no one has said anything, so... I never understood why a school would force you to shave.

And I have no problem "being on time" with things. Probably because I'm getting paid, and I half-enjoy my job. Late to class, late to school... I work morning shift, and I'm usually the first one there. Like 30 minutes early.

The difference between deadlines at work, and deadlines at school... the responsibilities at work are real responsibilities. Turning in some essay on time that's 90% bullshit for an education system that doesn't even educate, is completely different than that first time a customer swears at you, that first time you get into an argument with a coworker, that first time you say something to your superior you end up regretting later, the first time you fuck up and you aren't sure what to do plus people's money is at stake etc.

And the socialization I learned in school had me completely unprepared for work. The dynamics and politics are totally different. You just have to go to understand, and each place is going to be unique I assume. So I might as well have stayed at home, I would have been more prepared that way.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
03-07-2010 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Re: After working in a stereotypical office environment for...

That's interesting. When I worked in a stereotypical office environment (part time filing for some extra money), the employees also didn't have a strict dress code. Hell, I came in wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and with messed up hair and no one said a thing.

But in an office environment, having a formal dress code makes sense, depending on what the manager wants. The customers could see us, so at times I'd feel ashamed I wasn't wearing proper attire. But in school...eh. The difference between school and the real world is that in school, you are forced to attend and if you drop out, society looks down on you. In the real world, if you don't like your job, you can quit and find something completely different, and most people won't care. I've always found the typical office environment to be soul-crushing and just boring. It contributes to society, but it's not for me. School doesn't do anything but teach you unquestioning obedience. Obey the rules, even if they don't make sense. Don't question authority, even if they don't make sense, or you'll be "disrespectful." Dress code is also implemented at school to extend a greater degree of control over students because in a sense, it can get them all to think the same way; obey, conform, be "respectful."

The "real world" is endless. You have a choice what job you want, where you want to live, what lifestyle you want, etc. School is the only real compulsory institution in your life, and it's a waste of time. So yeah, after my long ramble, I agree that anyone who says, "What are you going to do when you get out in the real world?" after I forget an assignment is full of shit.
03-21-2010 01:30 AM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

I had a summer job at my dad's office. I was part of the internal support team - I set up websites for our clients' publications. The only knowledge this required was knowledge of HTML and bit of knowledge of Java and knowing COBOL when you see it. None of the stuff I learned in school was useful in this job.
03-21-2010 01:34 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 339 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

Quote:But in an office environment, having a formal dress code makes sense, depending on what the manager wants. The customers could see us, so at times I'd feel ashamed I wasn't wearing proper attire.

Yes. Even if I didn't read the dress code (I actually never read it in full, just the basics I was told), I would still showing up looking good since I have to interact with customers on a personal level, and they come in looking for a "professional". I'm not going to trust some fag in khaki shorts and a sleeveless shirt to handle my financial affairs.

But why does it matter in school? Also in college, they're really liberal with the dress code. I mean, I don't even think there is a dress code? At least in my brief tenure at college, people wore some crazy shit at times.

Quote:None of the stuff I learned in school was useful in this job.

Any employer that isn't a fucking idiot realizes that school doesn't do anything for you. That's why if someone doesn't employ you because you don't have a college degree, then they don't deserve you. They deserve their business to fail because of such a stupid policy.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
03-21-2010 03:33 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Unfortunately, in the working world having a college degree automatically means for most people a smarter, better, and more experienced candidate. Such is the case at times, and going to college is supposed to be better than public school anyway. But of course, I have run into people who have gone through college and graduate feeling like the world is theirs, and then find out that employers don't want them, even if they have a degree. They throw a bitch fit about how educated they are and how the working world is unfair. They come out of college with very little to no working experience, a degree, and they expect to have a nice sinecure waiting for them? I'm a high school student and even I know fucking better. Employers are going to hire someone with real experience who doesn't ask for too much unless they truly deserve it. College is helpful, but simply having a degree and nothing else isn't going to land one the job of one's dreams. It takes work, a lot of struggle, and starting at the bottom before one makes it, not just some degree. Remember, Bush had degrees from Yale and Harvard.
03-21-2010 04:48 AM
Sanjuro Offline
Fanatic

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Office *shudders* DO NOT WANT *runs away and hides in someone's closet*

Napalm Sticks To Kids
03-21-2010 04:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

I wouldn't mind an office setting as long as I was treated with some amount of respect. IE, plenty more than I got while in the school system.
03-21-2010 05:56 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:That's why if someone doesn't employ you because you don't have a college degree, then they don't deserve you. They deserve their business to fail because of such a stupid policy.
Amen.

Teachers are teachers - they spend most of their time in a school, and mostly don't know what "real" jobs are like... but it'd be nice if more of them had a bit of humility and would actually admit it. Giggle

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-22-2010 09:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

genuine anarchist Wrote:That's interesting. When I worked in a stereotypical office environment (part time filing for some extra money), the employees also didn't have a strict dress code. Hell, I came in wearing shorts, a t-shirt, and with messed up hair and no one said a thing.

But in an office environment, having a formal dress code makes sense, depending on what the manager wants. The customers could see us, so at times I'd feel ashamed I wasn't wearing proper attire. But in school...eh. The difference between school and the real world is that in school, you are forced to attend and if you drop out, society looks down on you. In the real world, if you don't like your job, you can quit and find something completely different, and most people won't care. I've always found the typical office environment to be soul-crushing and just boring. It contributes to society, but it's not for me. School doesn't do anything but teach you unquestioning obedience. Obey the rules, even if they don't make sense. Don't question authority, even if they don't make sense, or you'll be "disrespectful." Dress code is also implemented at school to extend a greater degree of control over students because in a sense, it can get them all to think the same way; obey, conform, be "respectful."

The "real world" is endless. You have a choice what job you want, where you want to live, what lifestyle you want, etc. School is the only real compulsory institution in your life, and it's a waste of time. So yeah, after my long ramble, I agree that anyone who says, "What are you going to do when you get out in the real world?" after I forget an assignment is full of shit.

You're lucky that you got a job where you're treated with respect even though you broke the codes into the work.

The main reasons for the dress code into work is practically reasons for identification purposes of people who is working from those who aren't while the school reason for having dress code is to increasing security for their purpose of school.

Cults tends to use techniques of social manipulation, information control, repetitive assignments, behavioral manipulation, and emotional manipulation in order to achieve their goal of producing people who tends to believe into the desired set of beliefs and that's not much difference from those who go through school. It has been observed that those who go through school usually tend to be manipulated by praising and deceiving by using techniques of ignorance and denial while trying to convince people little by little when they're at a time where they know they'll start questioning at the same time giving rewards for those who passed it just to inspire other people for the purpose of economy.

In the times of being employed while out of school allows for more freedom for the following reason that there is lack of compulsory requirement by location and you get more rights to choose the environment that you desire to go through. At this time, you can earn money using any resources including the internet, work, gambling, and other ways of getting money while survival usually require knowledge of risks which can learned partly from book smart at the same time it should be learned from urban setting.

ZZZ...
03-22-2010 11:21 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Unsafe Learning Environment, Please Help! Sadly_Not 11 2,059 01-24-2017 11:49 PM
Last Post: Sadly_Not
  An incredibly stupid reason why I got called into the school counselor's office vonunov 2 1,441 12-17-2014 03:20 PM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII
  Defending Rights in the Principal's Office SeReNiTY 9 2,315 03-06-2014 11:41 PM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Principal's Office TV show 154bmag 15 4,077 08-02-2013 02:52 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  I got called to the office today thewake 35 4,274 12-29-2007 11:56 PM
Last Post: Chaotic_Punk
  I got sent to the office today! happy fool called Nigel 17 1,565 11-28-2007 02:19 AM
Last Post: Specter
  Sent to the office for not removing hood payback123 20 3,151 08-27-2007 03:40 PM
Last Post: Specter