RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Taking a stance on things
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Taking a stance on things

AKA acquiring morals and not acting like everything in this world is acceptable.

Not that I have anything with you guys, but up to exactly when will you be acting like everything is acceptable? Would you go as far as to allow nazis to walk the board?

But yeah, nevermind that, this is not about the forum.

What do you feel about morals, /ss/? Does unfettered acceptance of everything in the world make the world a better place, or does it allow for injustice at the hands of the tolerant?

[Don't mind me. I've been reading too much Nietzsche for my exams.]

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
07-03-2011 03:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Re: Taking a stance on things

Fuck no I don't accept a lot of things, I just don't mind what people do as long as they're not harming anybody.

But it seems to me that people in general can't have a balanced view on things. People would rather follow some idiotic ideology than taking a balanced approach. If I told somebody, "Religion is fine as long as they don't force others to follow the same religion", they would rather listen to something simple like "Religion is bad" or "religion is good". I don't know this for sure, but it really seems to me like people prefer having black and white views.

If that's true then my only hope is to find a community of intelligent like minded people and escape to another universe. Or just put up with humanity's flaws.

/batshit-crazy-delusional-rant
07-03-2011 04:11 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

psychopath Wrote:If I told somebody, "Religion is fine as long as they don't force others to follow the same religion", they would rather listen to something simple like "Religion is bad" or "religion is good".

I'm with you on this one. I'm all for religion being tolerated and practised.

But at the same time, there are some things that you can't NOT be black-and-white towards.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
07-03-2011 04:20 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Faby Wrote:
psychopath Wrote:If I told somebody, "Religion is fine as long as they don't force others to follow the same religion", they would rather listen to something simple like "Religion is bad" or "religion is good".

I'm with you on this one. I'm all for religion being tolerated and practised.

But at the same time, there are some things that you can't NOT be black-and-white towards.
...Such as?
Sorry, it's 3 AM and I'm a little drunk, eh, can't think straight.

[Image: glorious666.png]
07-03-2011 08:00 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Murder, hurting people, hurting animals, interfering in people's lives, stuff like that.

I know there are wars, and people who are threatened by animals, and people who feel it is better to step into someone's life before they go downhill, but often those who argue for grey morality in these contexts have loose morals, and can't be arsed to stand their ground, preferring to not make a choice.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
07-03-2011 09:23 PM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Faby Wrote:Murder, hurting people, hurting animals, interfering in people's lives, stuff like that.

I know there are wars, and people who are threatened by animals, and people who feel it is better to step into someone's life before they go downhill, but often those who argue for grey morality in these contexts have loose morals, and can't be arsed to stand their ground, preferring to not make a choice.
Not necessarily. What about revenge--what if someone killed your friend and got away with it, wouldn't you change your mind about hurting them? Would you really say that two wrongs don't make a right?

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
07-04-2011 06:19 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

I've got plenty of morals. Not sure what you're talking about... I accept a lot of things as alright, but it's not like I go around saying hurting and killing people is A-O.K.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: stfu_0.png]

Live and let live...

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
07-04-2011 07:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

The only morals I have are:

Be true to yourself.
Try treat people as you want to be treated. but sometimes you gotta give em' a taste of their own medicine.
Nothing matters, you can do whatever the fuck you want, it's just that man has created all these lies and systems and propaganda to distract people from truly being free and seeing how totally pointless everything they are doing is.
Yeah, existentialism, the universe is empty, but that makes everything all the more beautiful if you think about it, there is no purpose, just pure ethereal, infinite, life and death.

Be your own hero.

Taking a stance is, living up to your beliefs and having your life as a model of these beliefs. Having your thoughts, and actions be as in sync as possible.That's the highest morality there is.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
07-04-2011 07:25 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Faby Wrote:What do you feel about morals, /ss/? Does unfettered acceptance of everything in the world make the world a better place, or does it allow for injustice at the hands of the tolerant?

The hottest part of hell is reserved for those who in times of crisis maintain their neutrality.

~Dante
07-04-2011 09:07 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

Don't harm others (physically, through fraud, etc.) and that's about it... unless it is clearly consented of course... like spanking during sex.

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
07-04-2011 12:47 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Whats right and wrong are just too much bullshit.
Everybody is telling you what is what and sometimes its just a pain in the ass to please them or even maintain some kind of principle and I'm not gonna try and make up some simple ass philosophy as life is anything but sometimes.

Whatever comes my way I'll just decide then and there about what I need to do and if I'm willing to do it.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
07-05-2011 11:48 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

90% of the time it can be summed up with:
Treat others the way you want to be treated. And if you see someone treating someone else in a way you wouldn't want to be treated, you should probably do something about it if you can.

But since some people have weird preferences, there are probably exceptions... if you're the one with weird preferences, you might want to avoid getting involved 'cause you might actually be doing more harm than good. No way to know in advance if the person you're trying to help has weird preferences though...

I might not be making sense.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-06-2011 11:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fanatic

Quote:Treat others the way you want to be treated.

This is how toddlers often think though. Not trying to insult... I used to feel this way too, but everyone has different preferences. A toddler thinks "oh if I like it and it brings me joy then this other kid must like it!" That toddler could be thinking about going in the water at a baby pool... so she pulls the other toddler (who is terrified about going in) with her.

Treat others the way they want to be treated... if it is too much then just leave them alone.

Live until you die
07-06-2011 11:38 AM
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:

This is how toddlers often think though. Not trying to insult... I used to feel this way too, but everyone has different preferences. A toddler thinks "oh if I like it and it brings me joy then this other kid must like it!" That toddler could be thinking about going in the water at a baby pool... so she pulls the other toddler (who is terrified about going in) with her.

Treat others the way they want to be treated... if it is too much then just leave them alone.

That's forcing someone into the pool. BABY ON BABY COERCION.

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
07-06-2011 11:39 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

Quote:BABY ON BABY COERCION.
Please don't phrase it like that cause my mind went directly to BABY ON BABY RAPE

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
07-06-2011 01:15 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:

Uhh, dude thats one of the golden rules.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
07-07-2011 04:43 AM
Faby Offline
work in progress

UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:

Uh, no.

Because you're going into specifics there.

Treating others like you want to be treated entails:

-Being respected
-Not being coerced
-Being asked about important things
-Being treated kindly, etc.

~~

Perhaps there is no end.
07-07-2011 04:53 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_principle
Morals enough for me.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-07-2011 05:46 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-aggression_principle
Morals enough for me.
I agree. I sum it up in 3 rules.
1. An eye for an eye.
2. Don't steal.
3. Always fulfill your contract.
If these three simple rules were followed, the world would be a much more peaceful place.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
09-15-2011 11:22 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

gore goroth Wrote:1. An eye for an eye.
AN EYE FOR AN EYE MAKES THE WHOLE WORLD BLIND - Ghandi
And, uh, what if you have to steal to survive, if you're very poor or something? It's the only time where I think it's justifiable.

Morals... yeah, of course I have morals. A bit different from the majority, obviously (in relation to sexuality, school obviously, software piracy, AUTHORITY, etc). Rape, murder, the usual, I view negatively. Hell, I suppose the biggest common moral in /ss/ is that school is harmful and should be abolished/changed, if that's even a moral? I think it is. We generally view pro-schoolfags negatively, like others might view nazis negatively. It's like an ideology.

Not being an asshole when it's not absolutely necessary... which often isn't. Guess not taking most things too seriously counts too, as a value (not bitching/getting pissed off and going crazy about shit that doesn't matter).

09-15-2011 12:09 PM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Lunatic Wrote:
And, uh, what if you have to steal to survive, if you're very poor or something? It's the only time where I think it's justifiable.

Morals... yeah, of course I have morals. A bit different from the majority, obviously (in relation to sexuality, school obviously, software piracy, AUTHORITY, etc). Rape, murder, the usual, I view negatively. Hell, I suppose the biggest common moral in /ss/ is that school is harmful and should be abolished/changed, if that's even a moral? I think it is. We generally view pro-schoolfags negatively, like others might view nazis negatively. It's like an ideology.

Not being an asshole when it's not absolutely necessary... which often isn't. Guess not taking most things too seriously counts too, as a value (not bitching/getting pissed off and going crazy about shit that doesn't matter).
So if people attack you and fuck your shit up, it's wrong to retaliate? No justice there. I can't just sit there and take shit from people.

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
09-15-2011 12:28 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

gore goroth Wrote:
Lunatic Wrote:

So if people attack you and fuck your shit up, it's wrong to retaliate? No justice there. I can't just sit there and take shit from people.
Of course it isn't, but I guess that you shouldn't do things as evil/fucked up as others might do to you, like burn shit down or something, but try to get what you lost back, teach them a lesson instead of just wounding them and getting them more pissed? Meh I think it depends on the situation, actually. It's not that simple.

09-15-2011 01:28 PM
Fanatic

Faby Wrote:
UnschoolShqiponjë Wrote:

Uh, no.

Because you're going into specifics there.

Treating others like you want to be treated entails:

-Being respected
-Not being coerced
-Being asked about important things
-Being treated kindly, etc.

If someone asks me how much money I make I answer. I don't think that question is a big deal. Ask my mom how much she makes and she doesn't answer and flips out and gets pissy. To her that's important abd private... to me it's not a big deal.

Live until you die
09-15-2011 02:19 PM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Given 50 thank(s) in 38 post(s)

Black and white views are fucking stupid. Some things are almost universally agreed bad like rape, murder, adultery and paedophilia for good reasons but having a view that NO LYING/ABORTION/ETC IS BAD ALL DAY ERRYDAY is mouthbreathing retarded.
09-16-2011 12:31 AM
Fanatic

BaronVonStrangle Wrote:Black and white views are fucking stupid. Some things are almost universally agreed bad like rape, murder, adultery and paedophilia for good reasons but having a view that NO LYING/ABORTION/ETC IS BAD ALL DAY ERRYDAY is mouthbreathing retarded.

Quote:Adultery (also called philandery) is sexual infidelity to one's spouse, and is a form of extramarital sex. It originally referred only to sex between a woman who was married and a person other than her spouse.[1] Even in cases of separation from one's spouse, an extramarital affair is still considered adultery.

Adultery isn't that big of a deal. The definition doesn't even imply lying about it. So if me and my spouse get married but allow each other to have sex with other people that's bad?

Quote:Paedophilia the consistent (lasting longer than 6 months) attraction to pre-pubescent children.

Since when is an attraction bad?

/devilsadvocate

Live until you die
09-16-2011 02:48 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

A) if you two truly loved each other why would you allow each other to go off and fuck random people and
B) Dude being attracted to kids is quite frankly fucked up.
09-16-2011 04:33 AM
Fanatic

BaronVonStrangle Wrote:A) if you two truly loved each other why would you allow each other to go off and fuck random people and
B) Dude being attracted to kids is quite frankly fucked up.

A) Because sex should not be a huge factor in a marriage. Giving birth and living together are. Sex being between only two people after marriage is a religious concept that I reject. Hell marriage in its popular form IS a religious concept that should be changed. Saying you need "love" or "true love" for sex is silly.

B) What do you want... many people are born that way. As long as they don't go having sexual contact with kids I don't give a shit what they find attractive. I won't blame them for what their brain tells them to be attracted to.

Live until you die
09-16-2011 05:33 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

A) You may have not much self esteem but I would be pretty pissed if my partner went round fucking other people. Am I not good enough or something?
B) What if they do hurt children? What then?
09-16-2011 06:17 AM
Fanatic

BaronVonStrangle Wrote:A) You may have not much self esteem but I would be pretty pissed if my partner went round fucking other people. Am I not good enough or something?
B) What if they do hurt children? What then?

A) Um when you do things with the same person over and over and over it gets boring. It has nothing to do with self-esteem... maybe for you but not for me. It has to do with freedom and variety. I don't own my spouses sexuality and sexual organs and she doesn't own mine.

B) What if a mother hurts her child? Everyone is capable of hurting children... If a paedophile hurts a child (such a vague term "hurt" somethings many people think are good do hurt children ie: spanking/punishment and many things that don't hurt children people think are bad ie: violent movies/video games) then he is prosecuted.

Live until you die
09-16-2011 06:50 AM
aaaaaaasd Offline
Grorious Moddu

Some people stay with each other for 4+ years and a few people can manage an entire lifetime. Just because you have the attention span of a 12 year old with ADHD and an assholish disregard for trust in a relationship it doesn't mean that everyone else does.
09-16-2011 07:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Stance on Abortion Subb 47 13,669 05-30-2014 12:29 PM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII