RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Teens have less judgement control"
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 17 post(s)
"Teens have less judgement control"

I heard my English teacher talking about this today. Supposedly, it's been scientifically proven that the part of the brain that controls judgment is underdeveloped in children and teenagers.

On the same subject is this article I found:
http://www.webmd.com/news/20060907/teen ... l-about-me

Damn, that teen brain can't do anything right can it?

There may be something to this, but my gut feeling is that it's been highly exaggerated. It also used to be believed that women where dumber than men because their brains are smaller.
03-26-2010 01:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)
Re: "Teens have less judgement control"

I question the results of studies such as these because you have to be careful of jumping to the conclusion that "less judgement control" is an intrinsic part of the teen brain. It's possible that through widespread accepted stereotypes (teens are wild animals) that teens themselves will believe it, and they will have less judgement control.

But it's bullshit to some degree. Of course the people conducting these studies already have massive confirmation bias due to teen stereotypes being universally accepted and unchallenged.

And adults make shit decisions all the time.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
03-26-2010 01:37 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

The first line made me facepalm.
I am NOT like that at all, unless I don't respect the people around me.

I raged too much to really read the rest, but it just seem a large amount of bullshit and hypothesis, doesn't look very scientific to me. PERHAPS they're right with the fucking majority, but not EVERY SINGLE NIGGER UNDER THE AGE OF 18 HAS NO JUDGMENT CONTROL MAN.
(I used that word referring to discrimination in the past, using something like "person" wouldn't be very precise with how they treat and think of us)

[Image: glorious666.png]
03-26-2010 03:02 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Lunatic Wrote:(I used that word referring to discrimination in the past, using something like "person" wouldn't be very precise with how they treat and think of us)

It's a disturbingly accurate comparison, I'd say. Otherwise decent people can be extremely hateful and bigoted when it comes to "acceptable targets".
03-26-2010 03:09 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

To save my computer screen from needing to be repaired again, I'll have to finish reading the article later.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
03-26-2010 03:26 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Actually, it's true. It's a good thing, too. It's what makes us question limitations and other such things. Racism and feminism weere often protested by teens, of all people. Wonder why...

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
03-26-2010 03:53 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

AWOL Wrote:Actually, it's true. It's a good thing, too. It's what makes us question limitations and other such things. Racism and feminism weere often protested by teens, of all people. Wonder why...
Whaat?

[Image: glorious666.png]
03-26-2010 04:02 PM
Leon Kinotolian Offline
Admincat

Given 11 thank(s) in 9 post(s)

AWOL Wrote:Actually, it's true. It's a good thing, too. It's what makes us question limitations and other such things. Racism and feminism weere often protested by teens, of all people. Wonder why...
Hm... Explain your logic further, then I might be arsed to comment. When I wake up, that is.

*Tentaclerape*
Hidden stuff:
The Desert Fox Wrote:
Rebelnerd Wrote:Avatar was an inside job.
For $9.11 I'll give you an inside job.
Raikuron Wrote:Okay. I fail. DISREGARD THAT EVERYONE, I SUCK COCKS!
BaronVonStrangle Wrote:fox you should take everything mystery says with a pinch of salt

and by pinch of salt i actually mean you need to build a fucking salt processing plant so you have enough salt to dispell the bullshit
03-26-2010 05:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

So that sympathy I feel for other people, that's fake?

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
03-27-2010 01:34 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

Prince Rilian Wrote:So that sympathy I feel for other people, that's fake?

Nah, Teens have real feelings.

But adults won't take teen's emotions seriously, because it's common knowledge that the hormones released in puberty wildly affect the teenage brain, which makes their thoughts and opinions less valid...somehow.

Starting to notice a pattern?
03-27-2010 05:45 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Cosbydaf Wrote:

But adults won't take teen's emotions seriously, because it's common knowledge that the hormones released in puberty wildly affect the teenage brain, which makes their thoughts and opinions less valid...somehow.

Win.

RIP GORE GOROTH

03-27-2010 05:50 AM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Didn't people say blacks have less judgement control during the Jim Crow era too?
03-27-2010 06:52 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

Michio Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:

Win.
Women and 'hysteria' plz.

All of these examples are clearly a proof how much of a bullshit psychiatry is, it's just a tool to fabricate 'scientific' evidence against a hated group.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
03-27-2010 10:51 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Ceiling Cat Wrote:All of these examples are clearly a proof how much of a bullshit psychiatry is, it's just a tool to fabricate 'scientific' evidence against a hated group.

Fuck's sakes, no. Psychiatry is a legitimate field of study, stop thinking that all psychiatrists are the people who just give Ritalin to every problematic child who walks through their office. For a feminazi, you sure are discriminative and generalist. Ohwait, feminazi, discriminative. Never mind, same thing.

Leon Kinotolian Wrote:
Hm... Explain your logic further, then I might be arsed to comment. When I wake up, that is.

Fair enough, I was a bit vague. It goes (on a very simplistic level) something like this:

Birth > Develop motor functions > Taught boundaries, rules and social norms > Develops logic (7-12 > Develops self-thought (9-15)> Questions and defies aforementioned boundaries, rules and social norms (puberty) > Refines logic and self-thought (anywhere between 16-30) > Develops new boundaries, rules and social norms (19-35) > Confers with peers about such boundaries, rules and social norms (25-60) > Teaches boundaries, rules and social norms to children.

Again, that's very simple. And it can be mixed around, and some people go well outside the predicted age ranges. But that's simplicity for ya.

03-27-2010 11:48 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Quote:"Teens have less judgement control"
Well, of course they have less judgement control: Nobody ever lets them USE their own judgement for anything, therefore they never get to practice using it, therefore they have less judgement control... DUH!

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-31-2010 10:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

SoulRiser Wrote:
Quote:"Teens have less judgement control"
Well, of course they have less judgement control: Nobody ever lets them USE their own judgement for anything, therefore they never get to practice using it, therefore they have less judgement control... DUH!

Uh... Soul, for once they have their facts right. But as I explained earlier in the topic, society wouldn't be the same without the impaired reasoning abilities of teenagers.

03-31-2010 03:07 PM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

I don't see how having less judgment control correlates with questioning the rules of society.
03-31-2010 03:41 PM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

AWOL Wrote:impaired reasoning abilities of teenagers.
Ageist nigga plz.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
03-31-2010 08:37 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

Quote:In the brain scan study, Blakemore's team looked at 19 teen girls and 20 women in London.

The teens were nearly 15 years old, on average, and attended a selective private school. The women were 28 years old, on average, and were university students or graduates.

Quote:In the second study presented today, Blakemore's team found that preadolescent (average age 8.6 years) and adolescent (average age, 13) boys and girls were slower than adults to answer questions about how a fictional character might feel in certain situations.

In that study, 74 preadolescents and adolescents were compared with 38 adults (average age 24). The researchers found the adults were quicker at choosing how a third person might feel in a described situation.

Of course they answered slower dumb ass, their 7-8 years old, and they've been trapped in a shitty school all their life.

Really? And we're supposed to take that seriously? The fuck kind of shitty study is that?

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
04-01-2010 05:27 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Cosbydaf Wrote:I don't see how having less judgment control correlates with questioning the rules of society.

Yes, because having more judgement control totally helps questioning things. Rolleyes

The things is, all this is backed up with science.
Ceiling Cat Wrote:
Ageist nigga plz.

Read my fucking posts asshole, I'm supporting teenagers.

04-01-2010 09:53 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Quote:The things is, all this is backed up with science.

The science they are using does not look reputable to me.

Blog I post to now:

04-01-2010 09:58 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Absentinsomniac Wrote:
Quote:The things is, all this is backed up with science.

The science they are using does not look reputable to me.

The studies showing that teens have impaired judgement control and that it does help society evolve dramatically are true.

Absentinsomniac Wrote:
Quote:In the brain scan study, Blakemore's team looked at 19 teen girls and 20 women in London.

The teens were nearly 15 years old, on average, and attended a selective private school. The women were 28 years old, on average, and were university students or graduates.

Quote:In the second study presented today, Blakemore's team found that preadolescent (average age 8.6 years) and adolescent (average age, 13) boys and girls were slower than adults to answer questions about how a fictional character might feel in certain situations.

In that study, 74 preadolescents and adolescents were compared with 38 adults (average age 24). The researchers found the adults were quicker at choosing how a third person might feel in a described situation.

Of course they answered slower dumb ass, their 7-8 years old, and they've been trapped in a shitty school all their life.

Really? And we're supposed to take that seriously? The fuck kind of shitty study is that?

That, however, is stupid. After all, teens don't get enough chances to interact with the real world to deal and comprehend emotions in a foreign environment.

04-01-2010 10:08 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

AWOL Wrote:
Cosbydaf Wrote:I don't see how having less judgment control correlates with questioning the rules of society.

Yes, because having more judgement control totally helps questioning things. Rolleyes

The things is, all this is backed up with science.
Ceiling Cat Wrote:
Ageist nigga plz.

Read my fucking posts asshole, I'm supporting teenagers.
Son...

[Image: file.php?avatar=3584_1269511604.png]

I am disappoint.

RIP GORE GOROTH

04-01-2010 10:11 AM
Cosbydaf Offline
Fanatic

AWOL Wrote:Yes, because having more judgement control totally helps questioning things. Rolleyes

Roll your eyes all you want, I still don't see what relation there is between having enough self control to refrain from doing something stupid and questioning a bullshit rule when you see one, and you don't seem to want to explain it.
04-01-2010 10:20 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Michio Wrote:Son...

I am disappoint.

Maybe I should just stop trying. The moment I start even slightly saying that teenagers aren't complete fuckwits you guys rage at me.

04-01-2010 10:22 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

AWOL Wrote:

I am disappoint.

Maybe I should just stop trying. The moment I start even slightly saying that teenagers aren't complete fuckwits you guys rage at me.

Lol.

TROLL SUCCESSFUL

RIP GORE GOROTH

04-01-2010 10:51 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Lol, internet.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
04-01-2010 10:57 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Michio Wrote:
AWOL Wrote:

I am disappoint.

Lol.

TROLL SUCCESSFUL

I knew it was a troll. I selected your comment because it summed up everyone else's (serious) posts.

04-01-2010 08:06 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

AWOL Wrote:I knew it was a troll. I selected your comment because it summed up everyone else's (serious) posts.

[Image: 20090909-You-Lie.jpg]

Blog I post to now:

04-02-2010 06:14 AM