RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Vi
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)
Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Vi

Quote:Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Videos
from the not-understanding-the-technology dept

Okay, this is just getting ridiculous. A few weeks back, we noted that Senators Amy Klobuchar, John Cornyn and Christopher Coons had proposed a new bill that was designed to make "streaming" infringing material a felony. At the time, the actual text of the bill wasn't available, but we assumed, naturally, that it would just extend "public performance" rights to section 506a of the Copyright Act.

Supporters of this bill claim that all it's really doing is harmonizing US copyright law's civil and criminal sections. After all, the rights afforded under copyright law in civil cases cover a list of rights: reproduce, distribute, prepare derivative works or perform the work. The rules for criminal infringement only cover reproducing and distributing -- but not performing. So, supporters claim, all this does is "harmonize" copyright law and bring the criminal side into line with the civil side by adding "performance rights" to the list of things.

If only it were that simple. But, of course, it's not. First of all, despite claims to the contrary, there's a damn good reason why Congress did not include performance rights as a criminal/felony issue: because who would have thought that it would be a criminal act to perform a work without permission? It could be infringing, but that can be covered by a fine. When we suddenly criminalize a performance, that raises all sorts of questionable issues.

Furthermore, as we suspected, in the full text of the bill, "performance" is not clearly defined. This is the really troubling part. Everyone keeps insisting that this is targeted towards "streaming" websites, but is streaming a "performance"? If so, how does embedding play into this? Is the site that hosts the content guilty of performing? What about the site that merely linked to and/or embedded the video (linking and embedding are technically effectively the same thing). Without clear definitions, we run into problems pretty quickly.

And it gets worse. Because rather than just (pointlessly) adding "performance" to the list, the bill tries to also define what constitutes a potential felony crime in these circumstances:

the offense consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works

So yeah. If you embed a YouTube video that turns out to be infringing, and more than 10 people view it because of your link... you could be facing five years in jail. This is, of course, ridiculous, and suggests (yet again) politicians who are regulating a technology they simply do not understand. Should it really be a criminal act to embed a YouTube video, even if you don't know it was infringing...? This could create a massive chilling effect to the very useful service YouTube provides in letting people embed videos.

Bill: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtex ... l=s112-978

Source: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201106 ... deos.shtml

Seriously these fuckers want to put people in prison now for this crap and this bill now even has a darker side. People will not be able to stream gameplay from their video games anymore either or stream anything without express permission and consent from the owners.
Man I know this bills gonna pass quietly as this sounds just like another corporate scheme.

I tell ya everyday the country makes it so obvious who's dicks they suck for cash.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
07-03-2011 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Re: Senators Want To Put People In Jail For Embedding YouTube Vi

Also this.

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/7152523035/bill-s-978

Well, the solution is simple.

Create a EuroTube. On PRQ.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
07-03-2011 05:01 PM
Elfy Offline
Fanatic

Given 64 thank(s) in 41 post(s)

Sometimes I'm glad I don't live in America.

RIP SCHOOL-SURVIVAL 04/07/2019
[Image: tumblr_lpjpoqOyQ91qb8nljo1_500.gif]
07-04-2011 04:06 AM
.Manicrose. Offline
CODSWALLOP

Given 16 thank(s) in 11 post(s)

The jails are gonna get so crowded with "infringers" (and they're already pretty full of drug users who usually harm no one but themselves) that there'll be no room for the real criminals.

Go to work. Send your kids to school. Follow fashion. Act normal. Walk on the pavement. Watch TV. Save for your old age. Obey the law. Repeat after me: "I am free."

Hidden stuff:
07-04-2011 06:03 AM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

.Manicrose. Wrote:The jails are gonna get so crowded with "infringers" (and they're already pretty full of drug users who usually harm no one but themselves) that there'll be no room for the real criminals.

Yeah but the prison system makes them so much money the government must literally be creaming themselves anyway.

Elfy: don't worry man.
Eventually this law will come your way to if its passed.

image hosting jpg
07-04-2011 10:27 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Given 296 thank(s) in 201 post(s)

Usually crap like this doesn't pass.

[Image: nAOqYk7.png]

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
07-05-2011 10:24 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Soon everyone's going to be in prison and the government is going to be laughing their asses of while we consume their feces.
Viva la revolution?

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
07-05-2011 10:34 PM
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Weswammy Wrote:Usually crap like this doesn't pass.

When that passed that bill to treat corporations like people I now just believe they'll pass anything.

image hosting jpg
07-06-2011 01:00 AM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

HeartofShadows Wrote:

When that passed that bill to treat corporations like people I now just believe they'll pass anything.
A corporation owns Youtube. This probably won't pass.

And corporations are artificial "people" in order to facilitate ease of business. I can't say that corporations don't deserve the same freedoms people enjoy, seeing as corporations are run by people.

07-06-2011 01:07 AM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)

Weswammy Wrote:
HeartofShadows Wrote:

A corporation owns Youtube. This probably won't pass.

And corporations are artificial "people" in order to facilitate ease of business. I can't say that corporations don't deserve the same freedoms people enjoy, seeing as corporations are run by people.

If you've seen South Park, you'll realize that big corporations are not run but anyone, the corporation is a living abomination! The people that run these corporations though are powerful, even as powerful as the government, depending on how high you go. So yes they are "just people" but Hitler was just a person. All the evil today was made by man.

AND YOUTUBE CAN KISS MY ASS. They ban videos for "copyright violation" and kiss the assess of these corporations that complain..."OH LOOK THIS HAS 20 SECONDS OF THIS GUYS SONG ON IT EVEN THOUGH HE GAVE CREDIT TO THE CREATOR, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLCAWPYRITE"

I would move to another video site, but it won't be as popular, and even if it got popular, it'd turn out like YT.

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
07-06-2011 12:34 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

The way to win at politics is to go after the big money and get them on your side. Because once big daddy corporation says they want this the politicians are like yes master.
07-06-2011 01:27 PM
thewake Offline
Unconstructive

Comrade Wrote:The way to win at politics is to go after the big money and get them on your side. Because once big daddy corporation says they want this the politicians are like yes master.
I've always thought it was more of an equal partnership myself.

07-06-2011 11:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sarkozy Introduces Law To Jail Those Visiting ‘Extremist’ Web Sites HeartofShadows 5 3,071 03-27-2012 05:15 AM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  RECALL: Montanans Organize to Remove Senators Who Voted For Traitorous Detainment Bil HeartofShadows 3 2,166 12-29-2011 02:57 PM
Last Post: Jesusaurisrex
  USA can jail you for how long they want on mental health. HeartofShadows 9 2,830 07-21-2010 12:28 PM
Last Post: John Tuttle
  EU secretly pushing to put kids in jail for sharing music: HeartofShadows 5 1,809 07-03-2010 02:29 AM
Last Post: Absnt