RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommend me a good monlogue
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Recommend me a good monlogue

I'm trying out for an acting class at school. Saturday I need to have a monologue ready to recite.

This was one of those split second "OMG THIS IS TOTALLY NOT A BAD IDEA WHATSOEVER!" Moments. I don't doubt my acting skillz, (I've been doing it off the stage my entire life) but I'm afraid of public speaking.

Okay, I was thinking of Ms. Lovett from Sweeny Todd, but everyone's going to be doing that. My friend already took Alice in Wonderland, and Repo! the Genetic Opera doesn't even have a monologue, they sing the entire time.

I'm thinking something rage/emotion filled for two reasons. 1. People wouldn't expect it. 2. I want to really show them what I can do.

I know the mechanics of every expression out there, and I'm a fantastic bullshitter. I'm pretty sure that'll be enough. But now I need to memorize a short monologue in a day, you you're going to help me find one.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
03-27-2010 07:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Given 113 thank(s) in 97 post(s)
Re: Recommend me a good monlogue

Rorshach's opening lines from Watchmen

V's introduction

Basically anything from Taxi Driver (if you feel like getting sent to the school psychiatrist)

The Joker's speech to Dent in the hospital

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
The quickest way to kill a revolution is to wait for it.
03-27-2010 08:05 AM
Jackass McAwesome Offline
Fanatic

Given 24 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Any long quote by the Joker in the Dark Knight.

Period.

"Don't talk like one of them, you're not! Even if you'd like to be. You're just a freak. Like me."
03-27-2010 08:17 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

It has to be a play.

And it has to be a young girl. I'm thinking of this one:

Quote:Eighty-five cents?! From Dedham? Are you shitting me? I've been riding this bus for a year and a half, and I always throw in a quarter. There must be something wrong with your head, lady: Cause you sure got it up your ass. Making a scene over a lousy fare! We're only going another couple stops. Don't give me no shit about smoking joints, neither. We don't bother nobody. You got no business embarrassing me, or hasseling my friends. You better start going to sleep up there, or you're going to be in a lot of trouble, bitch.
Buuuuttt.... there's some obvious problems with it. I don't really think they'd care, the guy is supposed to be really nice, and he's been in theatre for years, so I'm pretty sure he's handled it before, but still...

Faith o' Meter
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
03-27-2010 08:18 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

The epic pre-battle speech from Henry V. Makes Aragorn look like a burned-out gym teacher.

I think Buenaventura Durruti is a pretty cool guy. eh kills fascists and doesnt afraid of ruins.
03-27-2010 08:19 AM
Sanjuro Offline
Fanatic

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Winston Churchills speech "We will go on to the end"

Napalm Sticks To Kids
03-27-2010 08:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Ladies and Gentlemen, I've found one.

Quote:I said turn it off! Nobody laughs at me, because I laugh first. At me. Me from Seattle. Me with no education. Me with no talent, as you've kept reminding me my whole life! Well, Mama, look at me now. Look! Look where I live. Look at my friends. Look where I'm going. I'm not staying in burlesque, I'm moving. Maybe up maybe down. But wherever I'm going, I'm having the time of my life, because for the first time, it is my life! And I love it! I love every second of it! I am Gypsy Rose Lee! And I love her! And if you don't you can just clear out! Now!
It'll be soooooooooo much win. I can relate perfectly.

Faith o' Meter
03-27-2010 08:23 AM
Rebelnerd Offline
Fanatic

Sanjuro Wrote:Winston Churchills speech "We will go on to the end"
Or the one where he calls Gandhi a brown, half-naked savage wog.

03-27-2010 10:44 AM
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen, I've found one.

Quote:I said turn it off! Nobody laughs at me, because I laugh first. At me. Me from Seattle. Me with no education. Me with no talent, as you've kept reminding me my whole life! Well, Mama, look at me now. Look! Look where I live. Look at my friends. Look where I'm going. I'm not staying in burlesque, I'm moving. Maybe up maybe down. But wherever I'm going, I'm having the time of my life, because for the first time, it is my life! And I love it! I love every second of it! I am Gypsy Rose Lee! And I love her! And if you don't you can just clear out! Now!
It'll be soooooooooo much win. I can relate perfectly.
Ceiling Cat approves.

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
03-27-2010 10:47 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

I just got back. Halfway through, some asshole assistant walked in, I payed a fraction of attention to the girl, and switched my lines around.

I hope I did okay...

:waah:

Faith o' Meter
03-28-2010 04:38 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

Happy Camper likes this thread.

Theatre is the only way she got her ass out of the psych ward and back in some sort of class on a regular basis. It saved her high school career and social life alongside charter school.

Let's do the time warp again!
03-28-2010 05:46 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Theatre is pretty fun.

I love how we have this performing arts academy now. The people from the local artistic school and coming to direct our plays and whatnot. So, we went from crappy plays with one room scenes, to (we found out a bit ago) playing Sweeny Todd next year... I wonder if I could recommend Repo! The Genetic Opera... I'm sure they'd give it a chance.

Honestly, I'm in the wrong school. There are two major High Schools in my area, one is focused on science and math, the other is focused on art and theatre (mostly theatre, their plays are amazing)

Oh, and on a random note, whatever American that decided to change "Theatre" to Theater" Is retarded...

Faith o' Meter
03-29-2010 04:29 AM
Vatman Offline
Foreplay in Ink

Given 98 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

I have a great one for ya....but its a tough acting job so it may not be ideal. The death monologue from Rozencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Hidden stuff:
Rosencrantz: Do you ever think of yourself as actually dead, lying in a box with the lid on it? Nor do I really. Silly to be depressed by it. I mean, one thinks of it like being alive in a box. One keeps forgetting to take into account that one is dead. Which should make all the difference. Shouldn't it? I mean, you’d never know you were in a box would you? It would be just like you were asleep in a box. Not that I’d like to sleep in a box, mind you. Not without any air. You'd wake up dead for a start and then where would you be? In a box. That's the bit I don't like, frankly. That’s why I don’t think of it. Because you'd be helpless wouldn't you? Stuffed in a box like that. I mean, you'd be in there forever. Even taking into account the fact that you're dead. It isn't a pleasant thought. Especially if you're dead, really. Ask yourself: if I asked you straight off I'm going to stuff you in this box now – would you rather to be alive or dead?
Naturally you’d prefer to be alive. Life in a box is better than no life at all. I expect. You'd have a chance at least. You could lie there thinking, well, at least I’m not dead. In a minute, somebody’s going to bang on the lid and tell me to come out. (knocks) "Hey you! What's your name? Come out of there!"

Some cupid kills with arrows, some with traps.
03-31-2010 04:16 AM
Happy Camper Offline
Fanatic

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)

R&D are Dead is Happy Camper's absolute favorite.

Let's do the time warp again!
03-31-2010 05:29 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Star Somewhat Important: Recommend me books monkey 4 1,875 11-30-2011 09:43 AM
Last Post: HeartofShadows
  Recommend me some heavy rock Thought Criminal 6 1,346 03-12-2010 10:04 PM
Last Post: psychopath