RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watching bible thumpers BAWW is fun.
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Watching bible thumpers BAWW is fun.

So, the day before spring break, we started covering evolution. We were watching a video on it, and this one bitch in my class was like "I'm not watching this." A friend of mine is also a bit of a bible thumper, but she's generally not an ass, she was also getting mildly pissed off, but that other girl was horrible. Ever five seconds. "I'M NOT WATCHING THIS SHIT!" It took everything I had (and the fact that I know my friend would be offended) not to yell "THEN FUCKING LEAVE. THERE'S THE DOOR."

Okay, honestly, I don't think anyone should be forced to learn anything, but the fact that she's strongly opposed to it, and instead of doing something about it by leaving, or just not paying attention, decides to fucking cause a scene to interrupt the people who were actually interested. And it wasn't some craptacular 80's school program, it was an episode from Nova, so I was at least half paying attention to that, then half paying attention to my art.

My Christian friend just rolled her eyes at random times (it was pretty "My way or the highway" like, so I can understand the slight rage.) and read a book.

What I don't get is, how the theory of evolution even goes against the bible. It said god made everything, but didn't specify how he made it. So I've never understood the needless butthurt.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
04-05-2010 10:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nah Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Re: Watching bible thumpers BAWW is fun.

Most Christians just oppose it because they think they are supposed to oppose it. I am a Christian, and I don't really see any problem with evolution. I'm not convinced its right, but I'm not convinced it's wrong either. But if she didn't want to learn, she should have just left.
04-05-2010 11:41 AM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Wait, did they even let her leave? I don't think so. We watched some stuff about evolution (no one cared) and there was no way anyone could leave without causing a shitstorm

[Image: glorious666.png]
04-05-2010 11:47 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Quote:Most Christians just oppose it because they think they are supposed to oppose it. I am a Christian, and I don't really see any problem with evolution. I'm not convinced its right, but I'm not convinced it's wrong either. But if she didn't want to learn, she should have just left.
Which is pretty much my main issue. She should just leave, or occupy herself with something other than annoying me with her presence.

Maybe I'm biased because I've hated this girl for years, she always has to be rude to someone. And it's funny that she picks on the people that can't defend themselves. I used to love my honours class because there weren't any assholes, and I was good friends with them all, but then she transferred in and fucked everything up.

Anyway, I think evolution could fit in perfectly with the bible. Not to mention, it's only a theory, the theory makes sense to me, but it hasn't been proven yet.

So, I just don't think all the bawwing and butthurt is that necessary, especially if atheists have to say "one nation, under god" I'm pretty sure the Christians should be just a bit more open minded. Hell, I'm a christian, I just believe the bible is fucked up beyond belief.

Faith o' Meter
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
04-05-2010 11:52 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Lunatic Wrote:Wait, did they even let her leave? I don't think so. We watched some stuff about evolution (no one cared) and there was no way anyone could leave without causing a shitstorm
She didn't try to. If she tried, that's one thing, I'd applaud the girl, but no, she took the easy way out.

They say pounds of pro school shit, and I don't complain, I just refuse to listen, and be a smart ass on all the pro school work assignments I'm given, but I don't disrupt the entire class, or leave (mainly because to them, I have no grounds to disagree, but if it was something like religion, you'd bet your ass I'd be walking out, since I could probably sue for that.

Faith o' Meter
04-05-2010 11:55 AM
యూజర్ పేరు Offline
Fanatic

Given 19 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Watching Bible-thumpers complain isn't fun at all. People might actually agree and sympathize with them. And once you get enough people on one side, that one side can do whatever it wants and get away with it.
04-05-2010 12:10 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Meat Miracle Wrote:Watching Bible-thumpers complain isn't fun at all. People might actually agree and sympathize with them. And once you get enough people on one side, that one side can do whatever it wants and get away with it.
Honours Science. I'm actually pretty sure 75% of the class is either indifferent or atheist. One of them (who happens to be a phenomenal artist, one of the best I know, she draws deliciously Gothic work) is either a wiccan, or an all out satanist. I don't know her well enough yet to know for sure. So, at that moment, most were on my side.

So yea, it was pretty fucking lulzy... but I still wanted to rage.

Faith o' Meter
04-05-2010 12:18 PM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

It really depends on your definition of lulzy. Anyone here heard of Fred Phelps? Most of his parishioners are freakin' lulzy. I mean, picture a bunch of white, redneck, inbred, stupid-ass bible-thumping Christians (no offense to any Southerners, moderate Christians, and whites in general) screaming about how God will kill gay people and explaining in their annoying drawls how 9/11 was God's plan to kill the sinners. Wait, that's not funny...maybe it's just the fact that they're so ignorant.

Anyway, as for Christians opposing evolution, it has to do with the fact that in the Bible, God created the world in 7 days, and man co-existed with all the creatures. Evolution says dinosaurs came first, and other creatures evolved over time, and man also evolved over a long period of time. These are the Christians that take the Bible literally, the ones who don't understand that the Bible is supposed to teach you how to be a good person (I don't see how it can do that, just read the Old Testament) using stories and it should not be taken literally. At all. Even Jesus' life story was written hundreds of years after he died.
04-05-2010 12:32 PM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Captain Obvious Wrote:Watching bible thumpers BAWW if fun.
Clearly.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
04-05-2010 01:01 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

The Desert Fox Wrote:
Captain Obvious Wrote:Watching bible thumpers BAWW if fun.
Clearly.
Well, I just don't know what you people find lulzy anymore, plus, I take life with a sense of indifference, so I'm more likely to think something's lulzy.

Faith o' Meter
04-05-2010 01:03 PM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Having a bible thumper teach your English class isn't though. I should just leave that room during class. Maybe a few other students will follow, and the school will tumble into glorious chaos.

No? Well, we have the right to dream.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
04-05-2010 01:05 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Fire Elf Wrote:Having a bible thumper teach your English class isn't though.
True.

Having a bible thumper/nazi paying the bills in your house isn't very lulzy either.

But the difference is, my dad doesn't BAWW, so it's never lulzy.

Faith o' Meter
04-05-2010 01:07 PM
monkey Away
Fanatic

Given 26 thank(s) in 17 post(s)

Meat Miracle Wrote:Watching Bible-thumpers complain isn't fun at all. People might actually agree and sympathize with them. And once you get enough people on one side, that one side can do whatever it wants and get away with it.

A great example is steven kings "The Mist" (I didn't read the book but I want to badly, I saw the movie and I was like "holy shit") Without ruining the movie basically there was this crazy christian lady, And pretty soon everyone was following her corrupt rule. Which involved brutal violence against whoever the hell they felt like it. "In the name of god"

Had to move on. Account is dead.
04-05-2010 01:33 PM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

Evolution is heavily backed by evidence so there's no difference between teaching evolution or physics. They only have a problem with it because it contradicts their beliefs.
04-05-2010 02:25 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Which, as I stated before, it really damn confusing.

Faith o' Meter
04-05-2010 02:31 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

psychopath Wrote:Evolution is heavily backed by evidence so there's no difference between teaching evolution or physics. They only have a problem with it because it contradicts their beliefs.

This. Evolution, in my book, is basically proven, for the most part anyway.

People use the term "theory" very lightly. Scientists, on the other hand, back their shit up, and use the term "theory" as not yet proven but damn well near. It's not like they just go out and think this shit up, then decide it's a theory. It's all based on discoveries, math and things like this. And the evolution theory, from what I hear has been backed up by tons of facts. Sure, some theory's are not very strong, and if that's the case, scientists generally won't try to teach them to the public.

Anyway, everything I've wanted to say on the matter has basically been summed up by everyone else. Including the whole "not taking the bible literally" thing. Besides, the bible has been passed down and changed through so many languages it's probably very distorted.
I don't know.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
04-05-2010 03:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

I'm pretty sure it's basically proven, though, as far as I know, the evidence isn't set in stone.

But, it makes perfect sense, my bible thumping dad uses the argument, "If evolution were real, then that would mean, say a big eyed monkey was born, and that big eyed monkey would have to find another big eyed monkey to mate with, to get the same thing.

What he forgets is this isn't an over night process, the monkeys eyes would get slightly bigger over time, due to natural selection. In this made up area, this made up monkey would have a bigger chance of survival with bigger eyes. So, the small eyed monkeys die off, and the big eyed monkeys stay alive.

At least, that's the branch of evolution I believe in.

Though, I'm pretty sure the whole T-Rex became the chicken thing is bullshit (but if it was, it would be the most ironic thing ever). Because I don't see how something with scales could grow feathers, natural selection doesn't go that far. But there were feathered dinosaurs that really resemble birds, chickens mostly.

Which brings up another important question, how do we know dinosaurs didn't have feathers or fur?

Faith o' Meter
04-05-2010 03:39 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:Which brings up another important question, how do we know dinosaurs didn't have feathers or fur?

I don't know much on the matter, but I'm pretty sure scientists said a lot of rapters, and larger and smaller land based animals like that did have feathers.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
04-05-2010 03:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

CrayolaColours Wrote:Which brings up another important question, how do we know dinosaurs didn't have feathers or fur?
Clicky

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
04-05-2010 03:44 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

genuine anarchist Wrote:Anyway, as for Christians opposing evolution, it has to do with the fact that in the Bible, God created the world in 7 days, and man co-existed with all the creatures. Evolution says dinosaurs came first, and other creatures evolved over time, and man also evolved over a long period of time. These are the Christians that take the Bible literally, the ones who don't understand that the Bible is supposed to teach you how to be a good person (I don't see how it can do that, just read the Old Testament) using stories and it should not be taken literally. At all. Even Jesus' life story was written hundreds of years after he died.

Actually, there was no real definitions of the words used in the genesis such as kind or day. A kind could be defined as many set of organism that have changed after many years and a day is considering like a thousand years according to the bible hence there is some evidence of exaggeration. So a biblical day could be by far more than 24 hours. Some of the orders of the genesis are correct such as plant being first and then animals.

ZZZ...
04-06-2010 03:31 AM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

VisualStyly Wrote:
genuine anarchist Wrote:Anyway, as for Christians opposing evolution, it has to do with the fact that in the Bible, God created the world in 7 days, and man co-existed with all the creatures. Evolution says dinosaurs came first, and other creatures evolved over time, and man also evolved over a long period of time. These are the Christians that take the Bible literally, the ones who don't understand that the Bible is supposed to teach you how to be a good person (I don't see how it can do that, just read the Old Testament) using stories and it should not be taken literally. At all. Even Jesus' life story was written hundreds of years after he died.

Actually, there was no real definitions of the words used in the genesis such as kind or day. A kind could be defined as many set of organism that have changed after many years and a day is considering like a thousand years according to the bible hence there is some evidence of exaggeration. So a biblical day could be by far more than 24 hours. Some of the orders of the genesis are correct such as plant being first and then animals.
Exactly, so bible thumpers need to quit bawwing over the non-threat.

Faith o' Meter
04-06-2010 03:40 AM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

VisualStyly Wrote:Actually, there was no real definitions of the words used in the genesis such as kind or day.

God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
- Genesis 1:5

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
04-07-2010 07:53 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Liquid Wrote:
VisualStyly Wrote:Actually, there was no real definitions of the words used in the genesis such as kind or day.

God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.
- Genesis 1:5

Day could also be defined as generation as observed from this passage. Evening and morning can be used in phrases such as back in my day or the day of the automobile. This passage just shows that a biblical day can last longer than a 24 hour period. Keep in mind that the bible do make sense in some aspects if it weren't taken to be literally.

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, (Genesis 2:4 KJV)

The passage shows that there were generations of the heavens and the earth during the time of the day when the earth and heavens was being formed. Generation could be referred to a long period of time.

Also, there are places on this earth that have a seemingly endless summer without darkness as observed in the south or north pole. This shows that a day can be considered longer than just a part of a 24 hour period. Why would this example just don't add up to the your meaning of biblical meaning of day? Perhap the day used in the bible was referring to the undefined amount of time to complete a task.

ZZZ...
04-07-2010 12:28 PM
Liquid Offline
poison - do not drink

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

I acknowledge that some of the words do have poetic meanings, however the text keeps repeating the words "light", "day,", "darkness", "night", "evening", "morning", which would seem to convey the it means a literal day/night cycle over the course of a literal week.

The length of a literal day could be different, you have a point there.

Another flaw with trying to combine Evolution with Creation though is that there was no death before the Fall. Paleontologists dig up new prehistoric animals all the time, and many of them are meat-eaters. From a Creationist stand point these animals would have had to have lived and died after the fall, not before it.

An alternative argument is that evolution happened at a supper fast rate during the creation week. Hard to argue against, but there's really not much reason for trying to weave evolution into it as there are plenty of reasons to argue against evolution even on a purely scientific point of view.

VisualStyly Wrote:These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the Lord God made the earth and the heavens, (Genesis 2:4 KJV)

The passage shows that there were generations of the heavens and the earth during the time of the day when the earth and heavens was being formed. Generation could be referred to a long period of time.

Yes, but the creation of the heavens and the earth happened in the "Beginning" and was preexisting when God created light. It was created "formless and void" during the time before the first day.

//

[Image: techhoops5.jpg]
04-09-2010 08:16 AM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Liquid Wrote:Another flaw with trying to combine Evolution with Creation though is that there was no death before the Fall. Paleontologists dig up new prehistoric animals all the time, and many of them are meat-eaters. From a Creationist stand point these animals would have had to have lived and died after the fall, not before it.

An alternative argument is that evolution happened at a supper fast rate during the creation week. Hard to argue against, but there's really not much reason for trying to weave evolution into it as there are plenty of reasons to argue against evolution even on a purely scientific point of view.

Actually impossible to confirm beliefs and scientific facts cannot be anyhow proven and it turns to be a belief itself. There's not much point into integrating both. This is coming from a person who studies science and do believe in god (no religion is involved).

As for the quote itself, I'll get back to you later on that.

ZZZ...
04-09-2010 11:55 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  What do you think of the Christian and Satanic bible? ..V.. 1 1,584 05-22-2013 12:31 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Big Brother's Watching Lads... brainiac3397 0 1,457 05-06-2013 01:53 PM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Pregnant after watching porn in 3D Desu 18 4,723 03-08-2011 03:18 AM
Last Post: Aya
  what in the fuck am i watching aaaaaaasd 3 1,162 08-24-2010 06:20 PM
Last Post: aaaaaaasd
  BAWW CrayolaColours 11 2,924 06-13-2010 06:44 AM
Last Post: LOON_ATTIC
  ITT: I baww about not being able to get my learners permit. Sunbourn 13 1,976 02-28-2010 08:56 AM
Last Post: Sunbourn
  Is Big brother watching you? Spot-ify 21 2,979 09-28-2009 06:27 AM
Last Post: Elfy
  LaVeyen Satanism (Bible) ~Mystery~ 19 4,410 06-03-2009 01:51 PM
Last Post: classclown
  the bible wasn't written by God (split) NowhereWoman 39 8,167 04-14-2009 05:00 AM
Last Post: random_name
  Things to Think About When Quoting the Bible. Cilaos 15 2,792 11-09-2006 06:26 AM
Last Post: Guest