RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Right to privacy...?
Anarkista Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
Right to privacy...?

So, do I have a right to privacy in school, as in a teacher can't look through my binder without my consent? I was just curious because one of my friends left his binder at school yesterday and he draws a lot of violent stuff; black humor, mostly, like Cyanide & Happiness. That and dicks. I never really got what was so great about drawing them. Laugh Anyway, I'd really hate to see what my homeroom teacher would do if she found them; a hardcore Christian is what I'd describe her as. So, would he be valid in saying that she violated his rights?
04-06-2010 06:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)
Re: Right to privacy...?

SUCK MY DICK AHAHA LOOOL
04-06-2010 06:53 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

psychopath Wrote:SUCK MY DICK AHAHA LOOOL
lolwut

Anyway, does this answer your question?

Quote:The Supreme Court ruled in 1985 in New Jersey v. T.L.O. that school officials, unlike police, may search students without a warrant when they have "reasonable grounds for suspecting that the search will turn up evidence that the student has violated... either the law or rules of the school." But school officials may not search you unless they have a good reason to believe that you in particular -- not just "someone" -- broke a law or a school rule. So, if a teacher thinks she saw you selling drugs to another student, she can ask you to empty your pockets and can search your backpack. But just because they think some students have drugs doesn't give them the authority to search all students.

And no matter what, the search must be conducted in a "reasonable" way, based on your age and what they're looking for. Strip searching is illegal in many states, and where it is allowed, there has to be a solid reason to suspect a particular student of having committed a really serious crime.

In some states, courts have ruled that a student's locker is school property, so the school can search it. But in other states, school officials must have "reasonable suspicion" that you are hiding something illegal before they can search your locker. Your local ACLU can fill you in on your state laws. But here's a word to the wise: don't keep anything in your locker that you wouldn't want other people to see.

http://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liber...ht-privacy

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
04-06-2010 07:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Anarkista Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:
psychopath Wrote:SUCK MY DICK AHAHA LOOOL
lolwut

Anyway, does this answer your question?

Quote:The Supreme Court ruled in 1985 in New Jersey v. T.L.O. that school officials, unlike police, may search students without a warrant when they have "reasonable grounds for suspecting that the search will turn up evidence that the student has violated... either the law or rules of the school." But school officials may not search you unless they have a good reason to believe that you in particular -- not just "someone" -- broke a law or a school rule. So, if a teacher thinks she saw you selling drugs to another student, she can ask you to empty your pockets and can search your backpack. But just because they think some students have drugs doesn't give them the authority to search all students.

And no matter what, the search must be conducted in a "reasonable" way, based on your age and what they're looking for. Strip searching is illegal in many states, and where it is allowed, there has to be a solid reason to suspect a particular student of having committed a really serious crime.

In some states, courts have ruled that a student's locker is school property, so the school can search it. But in other states, school officials must have "reasonable suspicion" that you are hiding something illegal before they can search your locker. Your local ACLU can fill you in on your state laws. But here's a word to the wise: don't keep anything in your locker that you wouldn't want other people to see.

http://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liber...ht-privacy

Yeah, it does. Thanks.

Hidden stuff:
Me llamo Jose, y puedo hablar espanol! Are you surprised?
Nidm knfcgiu is my riefvaot gtnih to do. I'm weird...cool.
04-07-2010 05:30 PM
fish20 Offline
Penguins are birds

Given 32 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Teachers will be control freaks because they are given authority. Its really stupid. I called my teacher a bitch and she said I was being agressive (oh god words please don't hurt me!). Not to mention they can give detentions (or suspensions) for NO REASON!!!! Nono
04-19-2010 12:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kids Shouldn't have the right to privacy? waspline 52 16,578 06-05-2013 07:44 PM
Last Post: nrgyzerbenny
  Privacy From Parents SoulRiser 25 7,884 11-26-2008 04:49 PM
Last Post: assaultmedic