RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
18 is adult?
Crimson Symbiosis Offline
Respectless Rubber Glove

Given 4 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
RE: 18 is adult?

(01-13-2012 07:50 AM)LilOrange Wrote:  Because it's the age you are considered to be mature....in my country you are an adult with 18, but I personally FELT like an adult when I was 21. So, yeah, I agree with the American law.

Well then you don't HAVE to go out and drink and smoke and party if you don't want to at 18. Just because you didn't feel like an adult at 18 doesn't mean other people won't.

If people have to choose between freedom and sandwiches they will take sandwiches.
-Lord Boyd Orr

Hidden stuff:
You can get of what you want with a kind of word and a gun than you can with just a kind word. – Al Capone

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist. – Dom Helder Camara

A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for petty distinction. You must speak to the soul to electrify him. – Napoleon Bonaparte

01-13-2012 01:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

(01-13-2012 01:05 PM)Crimson Symbiosis Wrote:  
(01-13-2012 07:50 AM)LilOrange Wrote:  Because it's the age you are considered to be mature....in my country you are an adult with 18, but I personally FELT like an adult when I was 21. So, yeah, I agree with the American law.

Well then you don't HAVE to go out and drink and smoke and party if you don't want to at 18. Just because you didn't feel like an adult at 18 doesn't mean other people won't.

I agree. I just said, from my personal experience that I agree with the american law. And most people become mature with 21, some before, some later, but average is 21. But I would allow younger people to drink and stuff, as Soulriser said: "How are young people going to learn to function in the real world if nobody lets them actually live in it, and make their own decisions? Then you end up with what we have now, people who don't know what they want to do with their lives and are too afraid to make decisions, and would prefer to just do whatever everyone else does because it's safer."
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2012 09:42 PM by Lil'Orange.)
01-13-2012 07:13 PM
bulgvar Offline
Gaysecks <3

18 being adult sounds ridiculous. Most people mature in their twenties.
01-13-2012 10:25 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

(01-13-2012 10:25 PM)bulgvar Wrote:  18 being adult sounds ridiculous. Most people mature in their twenties.

And people used to be adults when they were 15. So I hypothesize that if people start treating younger people as "children" until they are 25, then people won't really grow up until they are in their 30's.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
01-14-2012 02:55 AM
 Thanks given by: The man
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(01-13-2012 07:13 PM)LilOrange Wrote:  I agree. I just said, from my personal experience that I agree with the american law. And most people become mature with 21, some before, some later, but average is 21.

I felt like an adult when I was 16, and fuck the average. I shouldn't be punished for other people's developmental problems.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

01-14-2012 02:57 AM
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

(01-14-2012 02:55 AM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  
(01-13-2012 10:25 PM)bulgvar Wrote:  18 being adult sounds ridiculous. Most people mature in their twenties.

And people used to be adults when they were 15. So I hypothesize that if people start treating younger people as "children" until they are 25, then people won't really grow up until they are in their 30's.

Well, that is true. But, I think that's better. Do you really want to be all grown up with 15? Get married and have children with 16? That sounds kind of depressing to me.
01-14-2012 04:35 AM
bulgvar Offline
Gaysecks <3

Yeah. 16 year olds think they are adults, but they are just close to being mature.
01-14-2012 04:36 AM
UnschoolShqiponjë Offline
Fanatic

Given 221 thank(s) in 148 post(s)

(01-14-2012 04:36 AM)bulgvar Wrote:  Yeah. 16 year olds think they are adults, but they are just close to being mature.

12 year olds can be more mature than so called "adults".

Live until you die
[Image: Untitled-1.png]
01-14-2012 05:47 AM
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra , The man
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(01-14-2012 04:35 AM)LilOrange Wrote:  
(01-14-2012 02:55 AM)Prince Rilian Wrote:  

Well, that is true. But, I think that's better. Do you really want to be all grown up with 15? Get married and have children with 16? That sounds kind of depressing to me.

If it sounds bad to you, then you don't do it.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2012 06:44 AM by Prince Rilian.)
01-14-2012 06:43 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

The fuck? I was under the impression that the majority of /ss/ was pro-youth rights lol. Perhaps I should get to re-starting the debate so we can convert some of you fuckers.

I have never, nor will I ever feel like a child. When I was eight years old, I regularly snuck out of my house and wondered around. I drank beer, I messed with computers, and the like. When I was twelve, I constantly fought with my parents for control. I ignored the schooling system and did what I wanted. When I was fifteen, I started the studies which I'm currently proficient at. At fifteen I was a semi-proficient "black hat" hacker. At sixteen I drank more alcohol in a year than my parents have, combined, in the previous five years. And I did it all responsibly and safely. I never got caught. I never had to go to the hospital due to any of my actions. I was a proficient driver at the age of thirteen. I could write circles around the majority of adults by the age of fourteen. I was, for all intents and purposes, mature.

Those of you who think people should be treated like second class citizens because of their age can fuck off. I've been prepared for adulthood for a long fucking time. When I turned eighteen, NOTHING CHANGED. Shocker. I went out and opened my own accounts, I registered for selective service and for all intents and purposes took my life back. I still, however, am not considered competent enough to hold a job and rent an apartment without a co-signer. I'm still not considered competent enough to drink alcohol. (Which I have been for a very, very long time anyway.) I'm still not considered competent enough to handle my own shit. It's fucking INFURIATING. I find it fucking insulting that some random individuals whom I've never met are passing judgement on me because of an arbitrary number set by society.

You have no idea what I'm capable of, let alone the millions of others out there my age or younger. Stop making assumptions based on what you went through. Not everyone is the same as you. NO, you do not know what is best for me or anyone else. Stop trying to control people.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
01-14-2012 07:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Tsukarekitta , Avatar Korra , The man
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

(01-14-2012 07:36 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  You have no idea what I'm capable of, let alone the millions of others out there my age or younger. Stop making assumptions based on what you went through. Not everyone is the same as you. NO, you do not know what is best for me or anyone else. Stop trying to control people.

You are just making assumption on other people based on what you went through Smile
01-14-2012 07:39 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

(01-14-2012 07:39 AM)LilOrange Wrote:  
(01-14-2012 07:36 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  You have no idea what I'm capable of, let alone the millions of others out there my age or younger. Stop making assumptions based on what you went through. Not everyone is the same as you. NO, you do not know what is best for me or anyone else. Stop trying to control people.

You are just making assumption on other people based on what you went through Smile

Yeah, not really. I've picked up on the differences between me and others my age. I've also picked up on the differences between what I was like and what younger kids are like. And the differences between younger kids and their friends. I'm not making assumptions, just observations.

Blog I post to now:

01-14-2012 07:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

I feel mature and I'm 14. But most people my age think they're mature and they aren't so...
But I DO have a lot of real world experience. I've done a lot of drugs people, to obtain them you must go out into the world.

No, this is Patrick.
01-14-2012 07:45 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Quote:But most people my age think they're mature and they aren't so...

What are you afraid they'll do?

Blog I post to now:

01-14-2012 07:47 AM
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

I don't know, somehow I feel sorry for people who become mature too soon, I mean, as I said, I became mature with 21 and I still wish to go back and be that careless little child who wants to explore the world and is thrilled by dangerous stuff. I'm not like that anymore. I always think about consequences and that can really kill all the fun :(
01-14-2012 07:49 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

(01-14-2012 07:47 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  

Uh...what?

No, this is Patrick.
01-14-2012 07:50 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Ah, I see what you're saying. I get that. I don't know that giving people more rights at an earlier age will ensure that will disappear, however.

I'm not sure why but I never experienced too much of that "Care free" crap. I did a lot of stupid crazy shit, actually, never mind, I still do a lot of stupid crazy shit. I over think the consequences, sure, but I still do them. Perhaps it's irrational, but at least it's not boring.

Blog I post to now:

01-14-2012 07:52 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

(01-14-2012 07:50 AM)StadiumArcadium Wrote:  
(01-14-2012 07:47 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  

Uh...what?

So the debate was on weather or not people should be considered adults at a younger age. That'd mean they'd have more rights, and they'd have more control over themselves. If you think a lot of people your age aren't mature, I just assumed you had things in mind that they aren't ready to do but might if given the chance. Or something.

Blog I post to now:

01-14-2012 07:54 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

I'm the same way. Whenever I do something that could have bad consequences I think about it a lot, then just do it anyway with the possible consequences nagging away at me in the back of my mind.

And I was just stating that I feel like I'm mature, but so do most people my age.

No, this is Patrick.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2012 07:55 AM by Stadium.)
01-14-2012 07:54 AM
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

When I was a child I always wanted to be an adult, I thought it was really cool. You can drive a car, go to work, pay stuff with your own money, that was awesome. And I thought when I become an adult I would settle down and wouldn't have that much emotional problems anymore - and that is true. You get the stability, but it is sooo boring!
01-14-2012 07:55 AM
gore goroth Offline
trollface abbath

Given 74 thank(s) in 52 post(s)

Absent, for your post I give you this medal for doing all that shit as a child. I didn't do a fucking thing.
[Image: yelp-bad-ass.png]

[Image: 1127%20-%20animated_gif%20crazy_frog%20d...mortal.gif]
01-14-2012 07:55 AM
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

Hah, don't you think it's immature to know something has bad consequences and do it anyway? Smile
01-14-2012 07:56 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Risk vs reward

No, this is Patrick.
01-14-2012 08:00 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

(01-14-2012 07:55 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  Absent, for your post I give you this medal for doing all that shit as a child. I didn't do a fucking thing.

Probably sounds more exciting than it was. Drinking a few beers felt super cool dude when I was young, but I got over the hype after the first few times. I learned to drive because I've always had access to off-road vehicles like dirtbikes and fourwheelers and gocarts and shit. So when my dad let me drive just to see what would happen one time I figured out it's not that much different, and it was pretty easy. I doubt I would have done that well out on the highway or some shit, lol, but all the same. (I propose an actually difficult driving course open to all ages, so if you suck you can't get a drivers license, but if you don't suck you can. Or something.)

Sneaking out was pretty badass, but I didn't live in a town. It was pretty rural, therefore pretty safe. The hacking... I spent entire summers reading manuals and text files and shit, and after a while I picked up enough shit to break into a couple of systems. Some of it was script kiddy shit, but whatever. As for writing, I've always just been a good writer idk lol.

Blog I post to now:

01-14-2012 08:01 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

(01-14-2012 07:56 AM)LilOrange Wrote:  Hah, don't you think it's immature to know something has bad consequences and do it anyway? Smile

Probably, but what stadiumarcadium said. I enjoy the feeling it gives me more than the possible worst case scenario outcome. And, generally, I'm pretty good at producing the best-case scenario. Would you label skydivers or daredevils immature? It's kind of the same principal.

Blog I post to now:

01-14-2012 08:04 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

Sneaking out still gives me one of the best rushes I can get. I've been arrested for it, but I still do it because the reward is greater than the risk.

No, this is Patrick.
01-14-2012 08:06 AM
Lil'Orange Offline
Revolutionary

Hmm, interesting, I never though of it this way.....maybe I get my thrill back Smile
01-14-2012 08:07 AM
aCol Offline
Distiller of hate

Given 20 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

(01-14-2012 07:56 AM)LilOrange Wrote:  Hah, don't you think it's immature to know something has bad consequences and do it anyway? Smile

Have you ever heard of the terms "mercenary" or "soldier"? Their doing has bad consequences. People die. Is it immature doing it anyway?

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH

RIP GORE GOROTH
01-14-2012 08:42 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

(01-14-2012 07:49 AM)LilOrange Wrote:  I don't know, somehow I feel sorry for people who become mature too soon, I mean, as I said, I became mature with 21 and I still wish to go back and be that careless little child who wants to explore the world and is thrilled by dangerous stuff. I'm not like that anymore. I always think about consequences and that can really kill all the fun :(

You wish you could be ignorant of dangers and get yourself killed?
o_O

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

01-14-2012 08:44 AM
Stadium Offline
Fanatic

I'd rather die doing something stupid (but awesome) than lead a boring life free of danger.

No, this is Patrick.
01-14-2012 08:51 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Adult privilege Sophie 16 11,425 05-21-2017 03:33 PM
Last Post: Avatar Korra
  Minds of the controlling adult fish20 8 5,556 05-21-2017 09:24 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Tried as an adult The man 9 5,494 05-14-2017 06:21 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  How adult are you? SoulRiser 112 43,252 10-06-2016 08:05 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  When an adult tell you to do something you do it! and respect Night 18 11,945 06-24-2013 01:05 AM
Last Post: Lime