RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about the answer for the slope in the graph.
Slick Offline
Shattered

Given 14 thank(s) in 10 post(s)
Confused about the answer for the slope in the graph.

I understand how to work out the problem, I just don't get how they received 1/2 as the answer.

[Image: slope1.jpg]

[Image: slope2.jpg]

Quote:Slick's Mental Health Status
[Image: Q9YKMxA.gif?1]
07-09-2011 08:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Re: Confused about the answer for the slope in the graph.

gaah, imageshack. Stupid site won't let me view the pics. Can you host 'em somewhere else?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-09-2011 08:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Slick Offline
Shattered

Sure thing. Hope photobucket works.

07-09-2011 09:12 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

count it out 1 over 2 means up one over two because the slope equation is
y1-y2
x1-x2
07-09-2011 09:33 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Given 57 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Just look at the line. It goes up one and over two. Like, suppose you're on that graph and you want to get one unit up, but you're only allowed to walk on the line. To get one unit up, you have to simultaneously go 2 units right.

Arbitrary conventions: right is positive, left is negative; up is positive, down is negative; slope is a fraction with the up/down being the numerator and the right/left being the denominator.

Therefore: The slope is 1/2.

Life is good. Jeta është e mirë. Goingcrazy
Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

Zoidberg: What is it, already? What's the cause of your anger?
Leela: I guess I would have to say, I hate you!
07-09-2011 09:34 AM
Slick Offline
Shattered

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

07-09-2011 04:22 PM
Sc00lh8er24 Offline
buttcrying buttears from my own butt

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

This is from fucking sixth grade. Holy shit
07-09-2011 04:24 PM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

No, this is high school. For some reason, the gubment doesn't think 6th graders can handle graphing.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

07-09-2011 04:39 PM
LOON_ATTIC Offline
A NERD

Given 60 thank(s) in 49 post(s)

Prince Rilian Wrote:No, this is high school. For some reason, the gubment doesn't think 6th graders can handle graphing.
I remember seeing that in 7th grade. Maybe because the teacher included it because he wanted to... I dunno. I also took Algebra 1 on middle school. I guess stuff is different in different places.

[Image: glorious666.png]
07-09-2011 07:40 PM
Blobthe15 Offline
stereotypical agnsty teenager

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I knew it in 7th grade, but It was part of a advanced kind of thing.

Hidden stuff:
Rebelnerd:
Again, I agree with you. School does teach you things. And once again, you are missing the point entirely. It's not that I disagree with school's mission or the things it teaches. What I object to is that the students are deprived of any choice in the matter. As benign as the intentions may be, any system that forces people into an environment where they have no say in their lives is a situation ripe for abuse of power.

I am Blobthe15, creator of threads that die too quickly.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: 58jT6.gif]
Weswammy Wrote:
The Desert Fox Wrote:Down with Soulriser! It is time for the God of Gods to become the Fallen God of Fallen Gods!
You'll end up like Prometheus, chained to a rock with a bird eating your internal organs.

Or as close as that can be recreated on an internet forum.
[Image: oC8W8.png]

(02-08-2012 01:06 PM)Lunatic Wrote:  everyone says emo is like a music style or hair stile or clothing or cutting yourself but i think its like a sexuality just like being gay but a different kind of gay just like transexuals you know
07-10-2011 04:10 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Given 45 thank(s) in 36 post(s)

Comrade Wrote:count it out 1 over 2 means up one over two because the slope equation is
y1-y2
x1-x2

This.

Or you could do it the lazy way and count how many units the line shifts up or down (down is negative) and divide it by how units the line shifts to the left or right (left is negative). Which is this case would be 2/4 or 1/2.

Protip: if the line shifts both down and to the left, the answer is positive.
07-10-2011 04:44 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Lunatic Wrote:
Prince Rilian Wrote:No, this is high school. For some reason, the gubment doesn't think 6th graders can handle graphing.
I remember seeing that in 7th grade. Maybe because the teacher included it because he wanted to... I dunno. I also took Algebra 1 on middle school. I guess stuff is different in different places.
Yes, I took algebra 1 in middle school, too, but it is a "high school" class. Those who take it in middle school are "advanced".

But of course it depends on the state (in usa) because school curriculum is decided by state gobt. I'm only really familiar with texas's standards.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

07-10-2011 05:13 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Prince Rilian Wrote:
Lunatic Wrote:
Yes, I took algebra 1 in middle school, too, but it is a "high school" class. Those who take it in middle school are "advanced".

But of course it depends on the state (in usa) because school curriculum is decided by state gobt. I'm only really familiar with texas's standards.

It depends on what track you're placed in during middle school.

Honors/advanced students may see this as early as fifth grade
Academic/regular students will see it in 8th or 9th grade
Core/remedial students may not see it until 10th grade or later
07-10-2011 05:26 AM
Prince Rilian Offline
attic fan

Ayliana Wrote:It depends on what track you're placed in during middle school.

None of the schools I went to said anything like that. In fact, some texas schools don't let you take the classes ahead of time, no matter what. But the last one I went to would give a placement test and let you take high school classes as early as 7th grade, but they wouldn't let you get more than 2 years ahead.

Die lewe is goed.
Het leven is goed.

07-10-2011 06:03 AM
Aya Offline
Banned

Prince Rilian Wrote:
Ayliana Wrote:It depends on what track you're placed in during middle school.

None of the schools I went to said anything like that. In fact, some texas schools don't let you take the classes ahead of time, no matter what. But the last one I went to would give a placement test and let you take high school classes as early as 7th grade, but they wouldn't let you get more than 2 years ahead.

Each state is different. But I know most of the New England states will use a tracking system like this for math, English, and Foriegn Language. Which is fucked up because schools refuse to track people into Voc Ed where they'll learn a job skill but they'll put them in core where they learn absolutely nothing.
07-10-2011 08:05 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Need answer for survey, any help would be greatly apperciated riru 1 2,405 02-03-2016 07:44 PM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII
  Will someone answer questions online for me? TheRevolutionWillNotBeTelevised 12 7,387 02-04-2014 04:25 AM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie