RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Lady, or the Tiger?
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
The Lady, or the Tiger?

We read this short story, The Lady, or the Tiger? If you've read it before, skip to the fourth paragraph.

Basically, it talks about a princess who loved this peasant boy, and when the king finds out, the boy goes through a "trial". This trail basically consists of "Pick a door, any door. Oh, and one has a savage tiger on the other end... but if you're innocent, God will save you, so...meh." Behind the other door was a girl that he would marry immediately after the trial, if he picked the right door (no way out of this, it's set in stone). This girl happened to be a woman the princess despised with every fiber of her being. So, she knows which door the tiger is behind, and when the boy looks at her as if to say "Which one?" She makes a gesture to her right. No one was aware of the transaction.

But, the story stops right before he opens the right door. And it asks which she chose to lead him to, the Lady or the Tiger.

In class we did a sort of poll to see what we thought she picked... and I have to say, humanity is more fucked up than even I imagined. Four people out of 28 or so people, said that she chose to lead him to the tiger. Umm... what? I didn't even think of that as an option, as even the beginning of a possibility. Remember, that their love was described as passionate, and real. Personally, if I loved someone, I'd rather see him happy, or at least alive, rather than... y'know... torn to pieces by a hungry tiger.

The author never did say what she picked in the end, and he successfully managed to take it to his grave (Even after a sequel, which was equally mindfuck-y). But, he did say that it was a hard decision for her.

Also, I'd like to add, the "mathematical" answer
Hidden stuff:
The Lady and the Tiger: Answer

Here is the answer to the lady and the tiger puzzle: the prince should pick the other door. If he sticks with the first door he picked, he has a 1/3 chance of finding the princess behind it. If he picks the other door, his chances double to 2/3.

Don't feel bad if you didnt quite get the answer. Many mathematicians didn't get it right when a version of this problem appeared in Parade magazine in 1990. The answer is a little counter-intuitive. Read on for an explanation.
Tigers, Collapsing Probabilities, and the Monty Hall problem

There are three possible scenarios for the prince from the very start: either the princess is behind the first door (1/3 chance), the second door (1/3 chance) or the 3rd door (1/3 chance). Once the prince picks a door for the first time though, the king then reveals a tiger from one of the other two doors -- so these two unpicked doors collapse into one unpicked door (minus the tiger). The two doors each had a 1/3 chance of having the princess behind them, so together thats 2/3 chance now. Think about it for a bit and it makes sense.

Another way to consider the puzzle is imagine there were 1000 doors, with 999 tigers and one princess. The prince picks one door, and the king then reveals tigers behind 998 of the other 999 doors, leaving the prince with two choices: his original pick, or the one door left out of 999. Clearly, the prince would not want to open his original pick.

An even simpler explanation: Before the King reveals anything behind any of the three doors, there is obviously a 1/3 chance that the prince picks the correct door at the start. Since the King does not do anything to affect what is behind the door that the prince first picked, there must always be a 1/3 chance that the princess is behind this door. Therefore, after the King reduces the number of doors to just two, there has to be a 2/3 chance the princess is behind the other door -- since the probabalities must add to 1.

A variant of this problem first appeared in in Martin Gardner's Mathematical Games column in Scientific American in 1959. For a full explanation see the Monty Hall problem.
^ tl;dr (for hidden text): Once again, mathematicians think everything on earth is mathematical sequence and probability, devoid of all emotion... plus they forgot to take into account that there is no third door, so they fail at life.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
04-22-2010 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ceiling Cat Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 15 post(s)
Re: The Lady, or the Tiger?

Lol, I kept wondering through the explaination - what third door?

Problem, officer?
Hidden stuff:
TrueAnarchist Wrote:and to think, i could be yiffing a hot vixen right about now
CrayolaColours Wrote:He just admitted today that he spent two hours...errr... shaking hands with the Bishop afterwards.
The Desert Fox Wrote:I thought when I downloaded it it was already emulated.
zagix Wrote:I'm stuck to the fagarena because I'm a fag
CrayolaColours Wrote:Woman up, will you? Grow a damn pussy and get over yourselves.
04-22-2010 07:56 AM
The Desert Fox Offline
Waging war with conviction

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

Two words: Mind. Fuck.

Hidden stuff:
(11-27-2011 01:00 PM)psychopath Wrote:  
(11-27-2011 10:52 AM)Efs Wrote:  Our Army is more professional than Amerika. Smile
Except ours isn't allowed to have guns
CrayolaColours Wrote:That post owned. TDF wins post of the year.
Faby Wrote:
krissy Wrote:dessert fox
Mmm, flambéed vulpine.
"There is no enemy, there is no victory, only boys who lost their lives in the sand."
[/center]
04-22-2010 05:01 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

+1

The sequel was about a prince that asked the same king as before to marry one of his court's wimminz. At first he was like Mad But then he was like "OKAY!" So, he blindfolded him and married him to a random woman, and then lined him up in front of 40 or so girls and said "THAR YOU GO! Your wife is somewhere around here. Oh, and if you pick the wrong one, it's OFF WITH YOUR HEAD! Have fun Biggrin " So, after awhile, one girl smiled, and one frowned. He realised that one of the two was his wife, and after a minute of thinking, picked the correct bride. The storyteller then said "Now, if you can tell me who he chose, then I will tell you which the princess lead the man to, the lady, or the tiger."

I raged and lol'd at the same time.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
04-23-2010 06:44 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Devilman Lady Cosbydaf 0 698 06-21-2008 12:38 AM
Last Post: Cosbydaf