RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fight Club
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Given 101 thank(s) in 70 post(s)
Fight Club

I've read the novel and watched the film. Both were amazing. But lets mainly talk about the film Biggrin
Do you think there is a bit of Tyler Durden in all of us? I thought this movie was trying to tell us to keep a balance between the Tyler's life and the main character's consumerist life. But I'm slightly leaning towards Tyler Durden's views. This movie just blew me away...

(01-10-2012 02:15 PM)Maelstrom Wrote:  Efs, your nihilism is beautiful.
07-09-2011 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)
Re: Fight Club

I've read the book and the movie, and I don't think I've really seen anything that compares to the movie since. Personally, I'm not one to discuss what the movie was about, for it was about a multitude of philosophical ideas, and emotions. Every time I watch it seems like it's about a different topic, while in reality, it's about a LOT of topics.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
07-09-2011 05:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Absentinsomniac Wrote:I've read the book and the movie, and I don't think I've really seen anything that compares to the movie since. Personally, I'm not one to discuss what the movie was about, for it was about a multitude of philosophical ideas, and emotions. Every time I watch it seems like it's about a different topic, while in reality, it's about a LOT of topics.
Hmm sort of. But if you think about this...in reality all we do is Go to school - More school - Job - Buy shit - Have kids - Buy more shit - Die. And this movie was pretty much saying we are all just "Working to buy shit we don't need." I could go on and on if you want, but to me it's similar, if not, the same to reality.

07-09-2011 05:15 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Rules 1 & 2 n00b
07-09-2011 10:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Thought Criminal Wrote:Rules 1 & 2 n00b

Those rules are always broken, well in the film anyway...

07-09-2011 10:44 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

Lol I'm kidding. And good point. They are always broken.
07-09-2011 10:46 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

[Image: tumblr_li87c1RMDA1qed405o1_r1_400.png]

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

[Image: 2010-10-04-lost-my-appetite.jpg]
07-10-2011 01:57 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Efstratios Prime Wrote:
Absentinsomniac Wrote:I've read the book and the movie, and I don't think I've really seen anything that compares to the movie since. Personally, I'm not one to discuss what the movie was about, for it was about a multitude of philosophical ideas, and emotions. Every time I watch it seems like it's about a different topic, while in reality, it's about a LOT of topics.
Hmm sort of. But if you think about this...in reality all we do is Go to school - More school - Job - Buy shit - Have kids - Buy more shit - Die. And this movie was pretty much saying we are all just "Working to buy shit we don't need." I could go on and on if you want, but to me it's similar, if not, the same to reality.

I won't debate you there... It does have a lot to do with reality. That's probably why it's so fucking good. Or something.

On a related note, I went to a fight club before.

Blog I post to now:

07-10-2011 07:42 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

You guys, I'm actually pretty dissapointed that this movie and book didn't start a revolution. What's it gonna take man, to get people movin'?

Rebecca Black will though.

To be an anarchist, is to suffer greatly. To be a black woman is to suffer secretly. To be the earth, is to suffer silently.

I wish no harm on anyone, but those whose harmful ways will not stop without the same harm.

It's time we kill this cancerous system, before it kills us and everything left of gaia. Rise from our immaturity and take back our autonomy!

07-10-2011 07:54 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Given 85 thank(s) in 60 post(s)

hatemylifeiwanttodie Wrote:You guys, I'm actually pretty dissapointed that this movie and book didn't start a revolution. What's it gonna take man, to get people movin'?

Because its a movie not some sort of movement. Thats like us destroying machines because of terminator.
07-10-2011 08:42 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Comrade Wrote:
hatemylifeiwanttodie Wrote:You guys, I'm actually pretty dissapointed that this movie and book didn't start a revolution. What's it gonna take man, to get people movin'?

Because its a movie not some sort of movement. Thats like us destroying machines because of terminator.

Yet, Rebecca Black gets everyone singing "Friday!".

Entertainment, does actually influence culture.

07-10-2011 08:56 AM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

hatemylifeiwanttodie Wrote:
Comrade Wrote:

Yet, Rebecca Black gets everyone singing "Friday!".

Entertainment, does actually influence culture.
Oh yea youre right its like that time me and some friends saw fight club then we blew up Visa.
07-10-2011 10:06 AM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

Comrade Wrote:Oh yea youre right its like that time me and some friends saw fight club then we blew up Visa.

Okay :troll:

07-10-2011 10:42 AM
psychopath Offline
Fanatic

Given 60 thank(s) in 54 post(s)

What revolution? What would be the point/purpose?

This movie sucks, I was into it like 5 years ago but now I realise it's a fucking emo piece of crap. It's a bunch of psuedophilosophy.
07-10-2011 02:29 PM
SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT Offline
Hi, I 'm anti-civ.

I just so happened to go to barnes and nobles today and upon my browsing through George Orwell I asked a staff member if they were carrying the Fight Club, and he told me that it is a forbidden book because that's one of the books people always steal. ( Coincidentally I was planning on stealing it also)

07-12-2011 09:14 AM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

hatemylifeiwanttodie Wrote:I just so happened to go to barnes and nobles today and upon my browsing through George Orwell I asked a staff member if they were carrying the Fight Club, and he told me that it is a forbidden book because that's one of the books people always steal. ( Coincidentally I was planning on stealing it also)

lol.

I just got it off the internet... But I fail to see how not selling it solves the problem of theft. Cuckoo

Blog I post to now:

07-12-2011 09:16 AM
ErisQuodSum Offline
Revolutionary

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

The movie's ending was stupid.

"Troll" is a common defense mechanism. If someone disagrees with you, the immediate reaction is "lol troll." You can't just jump to that conclusion because you want to be victimized, however.

Granted, sometimes you are being trolled.

Sometimes you're just wrong.
07-14-2011 11:32 AM
Miller0700 Offline
Here to save you.

Given 137 thank(s) in 84 post(s)

ErisQuodSum Wrote:The movie's ending was stupid.
I'm curious, why is it?

Previously known as Derchin.
07-14-2011 12:47 PM
SaintVicious Offline
Banned

Derchin Wrote:
I'm curious, why is it?
they blew up buildings in one town. Wanna take a guess if the companies had that shit backed up? lolyes they didnt solve anything.
07-14-2011 01:42 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Comrade Wrote:
Derchin Wrote:
I'm curious, why is it?
they blew up buildings in one town. Wanna take a guess if the companies had that shit backed up? lolyes they didnt solve anything.

They had militant chapters in every major city in the U.S. This was explained. Each group, I'm sure, would of had their own plan to take out their own targets. Obviously things wouldn't change automatically, and yes, they probably would of been wiped out by counter-terrorist forces pretty quickly, but still. It was the 90's, and pre 9/11.

Blog I post to now:

07-14-2011 01:49 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Absentinsomniac Wrote:
Comrade Wrote:
Derchin Wrote:I'm curious, why is it?

They had militant chapters in every major city in the U.S. This was explained. Each group, I'm sure, would of had their own plan to take out their own targets. Obviously things wouldn't change automatically, and yes, they probably would of been wiped out by counter-terrorist forces pretty quickly, but still. It was the 90's, and pre 9/11.
Yeah it would've been way easier to get away with and do shit like that Pre 9/11. Now, especially with these damn white hats flowing around you can't do shit. But I thought Fight Club was inspiration, whether or not it was intentional, it was for me.

07-14-2011 06:06 PM
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)

http://elenuial.livejournal.com/156813.html

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
07-14-2011 06:08 PM
Efs Offline
Fanatic

Faby Wrote:http://elenuial.livejournal.com/156813.html
Quote:I could express my disgust about the fact that the one female character is nothing but a one-dimensional fuck-doll for the protagonist, essentially an ornament to his madness.
What's wrong with that? You don't like girls who like a lot of sex?

Quote: Equally bothersome is the idea that inside every person is a savage beast howling for inevitable release; I don't deny the primacy and power of emotions, especially darker ones, but the way the film approaches them is both simplistic and dangerous.
The way the film approaches them is quite interesting, yet realistic. I have had some moments in my life where I lash out. And I'm not talking about the yelling or pissed of kind, I'm talking about the times where you just say "FUCK EVERYTHING, FUCK LIFE" and go crazy.

Quote:"Fight Club" is basically saying that modern man does not understand the anima, that the greatest good is to see that evil, reject it, and then shoot yourself in the face to rid yourself of it. Self-destruction amidst greater destruction is the only way to master your desires. Dangerous, simplistic nihilism.
Species are destructive, it's the circle of life. Kill, reproduce, kill and so on. But in modern times, the "good" we see is very little, however visible it may be. And the evil is great, however invisible it may be.

Quote:And the idea of "mastery" is key to the whole affair: the idea that one must yoke their inner beast, that they should tame the world around, that the essential prime directive of the human effort is to "level up!" and amass more power until your ascendancy is unchallengeable. Western hogwash. And in the case of "Fight Club," perverted into an Ouroborous of nihilism and despair.
What's wrong with nihilism? And "one must yoke their inner beast, that they should tame the world around.." Well, that's half-right. It's not saying EVERYONE must be like this, but that it only take a few of us to sacrifice our lives in the consumerist world for this purpose. Quite simply, not everyone had to be apart of Fight Club to work, only a group of people did, so therefore your belief that the movie is telling us to all "yoke our inner beast" is wrong. Only a few will have to. It's like rage. You don't want an army of enraged people in an attack, there is no organization, it's good if some are raged (more the crazy ones haha), but the rest don't have to/shouldn't.

Quote:But masochistically whipping them until they submit (as delicious as that might sound), or, worse still, destroying myself to destroy them,
Ever heard of the word "sacrifice"? Some people need a whipping for them to submit. It's the art of winning.

Quote:"Fight Club" is just a destructive romp in a completely different philosophical direction, and while it's well made, and the bones of it resonate so well with so many in modern America, it will never resonate with me.
It's your opinion. And I respect that. But I think of Fight Club as a parallel universe, I think of it as a more extreme version of our world and therefore a more extreme way beating the elite. However it's the same idea. Rebellion.

07-14-2011 06:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Fight Club Happy Camper 13 2,327 07-13-2010 07:44 AM
Last Post: Rebelnerd
  fight club 2 Rebelnerd 16 2,582 08-17-2006 07:31 AM
Last Post: xXThe Damnation ProjectXx