RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why teenagers are growing up slowly.
Jonno Offline
Pariah

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Why teenagers are growing up slowly.

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/nurturesh...=obnetwork

Thought this might be interesting to some of you.
05-24-2010 07:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Faby Offline
work in progress

Given 61 thank(s) in 45 post(s)
Re: Why teenagers are growing up slowly.

Quote:Tim was pushing himself to success, when suddenly he dropped out to draw comic books.

I don't know whether they think this is a bad thing, or a good thing, even though this shows up later:

Quote:For others, exploring a passion without regard to its value to their college application.

So I'm getting mostly mixed reactions.

Let go of all desire for the common good, and the good becomes common as grass.

~~

Good fortune follows upon disaster;
Disaster lurks within good fortune;
Who can say how things will end?
Perhaps there is no end.
05-24-2010 08:00 PM
Absnt Offline
Fanatic

Given 184 thank(s) in 127 post(s)

I agree with it. We are being forced to do bullshit work while we should be out learning to do real jobs.

The article is a bit ageist because it hints at how "wrong" and "broken" the teenage attitude is, and how we need to be "fixed" by fixing high-schools. Another problem I have with it is that they might just try to force teens to get jobs because that might help us...

They are right about one of the causes of the problem. Not the solution. The solution to the problem is to give us equal rights to adults, and stop treating us like a different species or sub-humans, not to make us go to work.

Blog I post to now:
http://blog.darknedgy.net

Edfreedom.org -- An organization for more freedom in education.
http://www.edfreedom.org/join-us/
05-25-2010 06:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

OMG MED STUDENT LAWL Wrote:As a med student, I need not have read the entire article. Growth rates are stalled in part to genetic patterns. Most men seek petite-short women, thus staunting their offsprings' growth.
Nice one smartass. I lol'd hard. Please oh please don't be a troll, because that's just fucking hilarious.

I love the article.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
05-25-2010 08:24 AM
Fire Elf Offline
Fanatic

Given 30 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

After seeing the parts Faby quoted, I'm not going to bother with the whole article.

The only good signature is a dead signature.
05-25-2010 09:06 AM
arthasmenethil Offline
Fanatic

Given 9 thank(s) in 8 post(s)

Absentinsomniac Wrote:I agree with it. We are being forced to do bullshit work while we should be out learning to do real jobs.

The article is a bit ageist because it hints at how "wrong" and "broken" the teenage attitude is, and how we need to be "fixed" by fixing high-schools. Another problem I have with it is that they might just try to force teens to get jobs because that might help us...

They are right about one of the causes of the problem. Not the solution. The solution to the problem is to give us equal rights to adults, and stop treating us like a different species or sub-humans, not to make us go to work.

This is basically what I was gonna say.

Hidden stuff:
The game...you lost! HAHAHAHA!!!!
05-25-2010 09:48 AM
Desu Offline
Fanatic

Given 340 thank(s) in 182 post(s)

Fire Elf Wrote:After seeing the parts Faby quoted, I'm not going to bother with the whole article.

I wish I was as cool as you.

RIP GORE GOROTH

He was an hero. He will always be remembered.
05-25-2010 01:00 PM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Eh, I more or less agree with the article.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
05-26-2010 12:32 AM
genuine anarchist Offline
Revolutionary

Given 12 thank(s) in 6 post(s)

Faby Wrote:Quote:
Tim was pushing himself to success, when suddenly he dropped out to draw comic books.

I don't know whether they think this is a bad thing, or a good thing, even though this shows up later:

I'm sure they see it as a good thing, as Tim was going out and expressing his individuality and learning from real life. I have a friend who is also aspiring to be a comic book artist, but she played it safe and finished school first, and then went on to study animation.

As for the article, I agree with it, but it sounds impractical to radically change teenagers' role in society. If they no longer have to go to school, they become unemployed members of society rather than the protected consumers they are today. I'm for gradual change, is all I'm saying.
05-26-2010 07:43 AM
AWOL Offline
The Spooning Bard

Given 36 thank(s) in 34 post(s)

Yeah, I think they saw it as a good thing.

[Image: 9be30a7.png]
[Image: LyingFloraBanner.jpg]
05-26-2010 07:05 PM
Reptorian Offline
Fanatic

Given 18 thank(s) in 13 post(s)

genuine anarchist Wrote:
Faby Wrote:Quote:As for the article, I agree with it, but it sounds impractical to radically change teenagers' role in society. If they no longer have to go to school, they become unemployed members of society rather than the protected consumers they are today. I'm for gradual change, is all I'm saying.

Actually, the argument against this is that more people would be able to hire teenagers and the changes might affect society views of teenagers when they are actually prepared for the world which means more people can take younger kids seriously as they have practiced learning about the working field. There are plenty of argument against having people to go through school till they're legal such as the fact that they have a slower learning rate due to the effect of aging and the development of the brain (not saying they're incapable, but just with less potentials than younger people), and they are missing out a lot more on the real-world responsibilities if they haven't practiced doing it along with less potential recovery rate for those who suffered going through school which is part of why some there are some anti-schoolers trying to write things about school in order to get other people to try to realize it. I support the idea of having them going through school under their choice while real world responsibilities take in place. Gradual changes it is, but we shouldn't take too long on that or it might go downhill.

ZZZ...
05-28-2010 06:39 AM
Ambrose Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

I too am inclined to agree with this article. It echoes in a lot ways some of the things Gatto mentions:

"Theorists from Plato to Rousseau to our own Dr. Inglis knew that if children could be cloistered with other children, stripped of responsibility and independence, encouraged to develop only the trivializing emotions of greed, envy, jealousy, and fear, they would grow older but never truly grow up."

--From Gatto's "Against School" Essay

http://www.wesjones.com/gatto1.htm

If someone from Mars were to observe our schools for any significant amount of period, they would probably reach the same conclusion, however, since most people today have what is shamefully called a good 'education', people tend to be oblivious of this. Which is of course why there probably won't be any kind of revolution or meaningful change in the foreseeable future in our lifetimes, or even the centuries to come because as someone once said;"None are as hopelessly oppressed as those who falsely believe they are free".
07-06-2010 03:24 PM
Thought Criminal Offline
Frame 313

Given 106 thank(s) in 80 post(s)

It's interesting thinking of that. the thought that teens before us were actually more mature because they had seen more shit. We grow up in the suburbs, The closest thing to violence we see is in movies and video games and on the news. If we had to tow our own damn weight, "Harvest those fucking crops or you starve over winter" you bet your sweet as most teens would be mature. there isn't any fight for survival, no "where will I get my food tomorrow" we are protected from all of the evils of the world and because of that we don't grow up.
07-06-2010 04:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
HeartofShadows Offline
Fanatic

Given 80 thank(s) in 73 post(s)

Thought Criminal Wrote:It's interesting thinking of that. the thought that teens before us were actually more mature because they had seen more shit. We grow up in the suburbs, The closest thing to violence we see is in movies and video games and on the news. If we had to tow our own damn weight, "Harvest those fucking crops or you starve over winter" you bet your sweet as most teens would be mature. there isn't any fight for survival, no "where will I get my food tomorrow" we are protected from all of the evils of the world and because of that we don't grow up.

Well people were much more capable back in those times.
Least not having a job wasn't to much of a drop off as it is now.

[Image: WARZONES_subs_hostility.png]
image hosting jpg
07-10-2010 12:03 AM