RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spreading Awareness
A Wild T-34 Offline
Freedom Fighter

Given 5 thank(s) in 5 post(s)
Spreading Awareness

Let's be honest, I believe 90% of this websites users want to change school for the good.So instead of staying here, let's spread outwards, start groups at your schools to promote alternatives, among other things.I for one am starting a discord for my local group of students inside schools to help spread awareness.I encourage everyone to do this,remember, the people inside the system can change it.

Maybe we can start connected alliances of these groups, while keeping each one independent.What I mean by this is we can all have a common goal.(stated above)Each group can individually do this goal in their own ways and with the alliance's way.(maybe we can have a flag for this alliance so if people want to join a group in their area and don't know about one, if they see the flag they will know)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
I sexually Identify as a T-34 Van Tank. Ever since I was a van I dreamed of rolling over the oilfields shooting hot sticky shells at disgusting foreigners. People say to me that a person being a Van is Impossible and I’m fucking retarded but I don’t care, I’m beautiful. I’m having a plastic surgeon install Tank Tracks and A 76.2mm cannon on my body.From now on I want you guys to call me “Vansty” and respect my right to kill from below and kill needlessly. If you can’t accept me you’re a vanaphobe and need to check your vehicle privilege. Thank you for being so understanding.
06-19-2017 12:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: The man
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)
RE: Spreading Awareness

"AA says it is "not organized in the formal or political sense", and Bill Wilson called it a "benign anarchy". In Ireland, Shane Butler said that AA “looks like it couldn’t survive as there’s no leadership or top-level telling local cumanns what to do, but it has worked and proved itself extremely robust.” Butler explained that "AA’s 'inverted pyramid' style of governance has helped it to avoid many of the pitfalls that political and religious institutions have encountered since it was established here in 1946."

Wikipedia about Alcoholics Anonymous.

Whatever movement exists, it needs to be the kind that gathers wisdom not political power, the kind that listens and doesnt dictate.

as it was put by my recovering alcoholic friend, the "higher ups" of AA say "this is what has worked for us. you are welcome to try whatever, and let us know how it works. if it works we'll add it to our base of knowledge, and if it doesnt work we'll add that to our base of knowledge too"

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
06-20-2017 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)
RE: Spreading Awareness

Im fairly sure that plenty of good parents get their kids comfortable enough with school by providing and enriching context in and out of home. with school being a kind of inconvenience tolerated while actively working for something better, changing or doing alternative schooling may be a hard sell to somebody thinking if it aint broke done fix it.

having said that, i think people like this need to be sought out and included in our knowledge base, that even when alternatives dont exist, what exactly do those "good" parents do when they understand school isnt everything?

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
06-20-2017 02:35 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Autism "Awareness" Month James Comey 10 3,664 03-06-2015 12:33 PM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Video online! Spreading the word The Apathy 3 1,944 01-15-2008 09:09 AM
Last Post: amizon
  Stupidity spreading like the Flu Psionicsavior 22 7,064 12-14-2006 01:57 PM
Last Post: Guest