RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need some practical advice on how to drop out or anything of the sorts
Creeoer Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)

First a little background, I'm a depressed, insecure sophomore in a private, religious school which pretty much caused this dilemnia in the first place. I'm also a natural self-teacher and I learn stuff at a pretty accelerated pace, I want to become a software engineer for a living.

As you guessed it, school is pretty much the exact fucking opposite way I learn how to do shit. Locked in a bland-ass building for 6 and a half hours straight, not even getting paid, working towards arbitrary goals only to know that next year more shit will be thrown at you. And on top of all that none of the information has any real life practical purpose! I guess it's to discipline you?? Is that it?? How about discipline me with some real fucking information or interests of my choice, not some shit you pulled out of your ass because the last 5 generations did the same thing. Oh yea, I also need to take religious ed classes even though I lost faith a while ago, and I'm in honors so the workload leaves me more stressed out (ap classes). Classes I did fine in freshmen year I'm practically failing now, even to the point where I may be kicked out of the school.

The amount of shit I learned out of school vs. in school is like night & day. I can't say I didn't learn anything at all in school, but I could've learned the exact same shit in 3 days, such a waste of time and my youth.

The only things that make this shit bearable to the point where I actually have motivation to get out of bed are my fair circle of friends and extracurriculars. But even those don't outweigh the cons.

It isn't working anymore , I was able to fake my way through freshmen year but I'm officially burnt out as hell, my grades are getting shittier by the week, I'm about to drop out of honors and potentially fail the school and I feel like a complete fucking "failure" even though I could make some real life use of myself if I just had the fucking chance to ffs. When can I skip this bullshit and just go to fucking college already holy shit.

I don't know what path to take that my parents would allow me to take. I can't get a GED since they said that only "ghetto people" get those. I can't drop out, I can't go online to get my credits, I can't go to an alt high school, I can't transfer but I wouldn't want to anyway since I'd still end up in a high school, I can't do fucking shit I have 0 CONTROL over my own life and it's fucking pathetic. I seriously need to leave that building and get my life back together and just work towards my actual goals, but I'm too exhausted to be able to do anything. Trust me if I wasn't I'd probably be across the country by now from running. If nothing changes soon I may just attempt to suffocate myself on my bed.

To anybody who read this far, I thank you immensely for your time and would appreciate some replies to this post on some potential paths to take when you can. Thanks.
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2017 01:41 PM by Creeoer.)
03-02-2017 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sadly_Not Offline
Town Idiot

Given 15 thank(s) in 14 post(s)

GED's are just for ghetto people? Bull. Anywho, do as I did, drop the honors classes. My teacher for the class I dropped even suggested I did after my breakdown in the middle of class...

I wish the best for you.

Poof! Poof! Glitter Boots!
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 06:48 AM by Sadly_Not.)
03-03-2017 03:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: The man
Creeoer Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
RE: I need some practical advice on how to drop out or anything of the sorts

(03-03-2017 03:31 AM)Sadly_Not Wrote:  GED's are just for ghetto people? Bull. Anywho, do as I did, drop the honors classes. My teacher for the class I dropped even suggested I did after my breakdown in the middle of class...

I wish the best for you.

Dude, you have no idea. The least my parents could do is LET me drop out of honors if at all anything, but they threaten me saying that I'd be "losing my potential" and "an embarrassment". Their standards for me are so high even though I'd be happy with a humble life not making shit loads of money. It's so messed up how the law says I have 0 say in anything and that I have to wait til I turn the magic number of 18 to do jack shit.
03-03-2017 07:22 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

All of our guides are available here:
http://w.school-survival.net/

Specifically about dropping out:
http://w.school-survival.net/pmwiki.php?...utOfSchool

xcriteria is our resident expert on dropping out and other alternatives, you could PM him if you want. He convinced his parents to let him drop out as long as he went to college early.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-06-2017 11:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Eidolon Away
Fanatic

Given 37 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
RE: I need some practical advice on how to drop out or anything of the sorts

High-school drop-out and GED-holder here. Decide for yourself if I'm a "ghetto person".

Any job I've ever applied for (which was really entirely blue-collar type work) has not cared at all about my education. They'll ask about it, but all you have to do is demonstrate that you're competent. And there's no shame in blue-collar work; indeed, many blue-collar jobs pay REALLY WELL. There's a lot of money in industry. Don't think that you need a cushy office job in order to be seen as successful. I'd even go so far as to say that that's a less-fulfilling lifestyle. One thing I've noticed about office workers: it's rare that they know how to really DO anything even vaguely skillful. It's hard to learn about things when you're shut in an office all day (sound familiar, students?). If you're not down in it getting your hands dirty, trying things, experimenting, you end up soft and unskilled and dependent on people who run offices to give you a job. If you learn a real skill, you can market that on your own if you need to. You can start a business with a good skill. You can't do that if your "skill" is accounting or something like that. Don't get me wrong, a lot of office workers that I know are very smart, and I don't want to belittle them at all, and there's nothing stopping them from learning these skills outside of work, but, well, I think it's uncommon. And that makes sense; learning is work. Who wants to work eight hours and then go home and do more work? Long story short, I'm very happy with my GED and I would have dropped out sooner if I could have. It has never held me back from anything I've wanted to do. I guess I haven't applied to a university, but I don't imagine I'd have any trouble demonstrating that I can handle going there (if I didn't hate the school environment, that is). Even if they did care, I could just spend a few years at a community college and then transfer. No big deal.

Anyway, what got me out of school? The way it happened was that I really just stopped going in my senior year. I was diagnosed with depression at that time as well. It's not that I was being defiant or rebellious, I really was just too depressed to go. So my mother, nice lady that she is, finally allowed me to get a GED, and after that everything got better. It was around this time that I finally began to grow and become a better person. I was finally allowed to take control of my own life and become the person I wanted to be. It really comes down to that: your parents need to give you the reins over your own development. If that means allowing you to go to school, great; but if not, they need to be understanding. You're an adult. Maybe not a legal adult, but realistically, you're perfectly capable of making your own decisions. You understand that every choice has consequence.

So how do you convince them to let you take control of your life? I don't know; I think I just got lucky. Like Soul said, xcriteria has a lot of good ideas on how to deal with parents, but it seems like everybody has the same problem: No matter how many good arguments you provide them with, and no matter how much they might say they sympathize with your plight (which I believe is quite rare!), they still won't budge and still demand that you go to school.

All I can say is good luck. Work hard and do your best!
03-09-2017 12:49 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "It's normal for teenagers to feel out of sorts" M3116 13 5,826 06-24-2017 11:39 AM
Last Post: Avatar Korra