RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help with homework?
jetpi99 Offline
Rebel

Given 7 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Wink Need help with homework?

If you need help with any homework, especially math, ask me. I'll probably understand it since I'm some kind of smart kid. Plus I got school holidays next week so I won't be very busy.
01-29-2017 09:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)
RE: Need help with homework?

how did Fermat prove his last theorum?

seriously, thats not a troll

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
01-31-2017 09:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jetpi99 Offline
Rebel

Need help with homework?

From what I know, he claimed to have proof but such a document was never found. So nobody knows.
01-31-2017 10:09 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

thing is it has since been proven, but by what rationale did he believe it?

Follow me on Twitter!
02-01-2017 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jetpi99 Offline
Rebel

Need help with homework?

I can't imagine how anyone could find that out. All I know is he mentioned in a margin of a book that he had found proof, but that the proof wouldn't fit the margin. Did a teacher really assign this?
02-02-2017 07:55 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

no.

Fermat was a hobbyist who was a full-time lawyer. the puzzle confuses me personally. I also wish to strike humility into the hearts of so called math experts because this claim was true, but sat for more than 350 years, surviving that many generations of people good at math.

I propose Fermat was not a "genius" as much as the "experts" are overly trained.

thoughts?

Follow me on Twitter!
02-03-2017 02:58 PM
jetpi99 Offline
Rebel

Need help with homework?

I used to be really interested in math, now it's just another subject that doesn't suck too hard. I'm losing my interest in Science. Kinda sad how you go from curious smart kid to teenager who pretty much doesn't give a damn. Might be, though, that it's just science subjects in school that I'm hating because we are basically learning loads of facts and that's about it. Can't remember anything from Chemistry or Biology that's more than a collection of facts that I could look up in a minute.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 11:55 AM by jetpi99.)
02-05-2017 11:50 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

wikipedia is better than most of school because you can choose what to look at. its also more reliable than teachers

Follow me on Twitter!
02-06-2017 03:38 PM
jetpi99 Offline
Rebel

Need help with homework?

All day today, about the only thing that I learned that I will ever use in the future was how a relay circuit works. The rest was mostly bullsh*t that I won't remember for long after the exam. We spent half an hour in french imagining the next scene in a book we were reading, and then roleplay it. Nobody cares about this book, by the way. Maybe I'll burn it when we're done with it. I get the feeling our teacher just gives us those bullshit tasks so we're busy. It's kinda sad, the teachers are accepting that all they do is prepare us for the exams. They know we're not really learning, but nobody does anything.

So I've started a group called "The Rebels". At first, the plan was to organise a mass strike, but for now we're only writing a letter to the principal to make it clear that we want change. Also, we're only three people right now, so a strike would be kinda ineffective.

Also, I should maybe start another thread for this since there might still be someone turning to me with homework.
02-07-2017 08:05 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

do you like math?

I've always wondered if the three hands of a clock are ever perfectly equa-distant

Follow me on Twitter!
02-07-2017 12:22 PM
 Thanks given by: vonunov
jetpi99 Offline
Rebel

Need help with homework?

I like it a bit maybe, but because I'm so good at understanding it I'm always underwhelmed in math class. And the three hands of a clock are equadistant at 08:00:20 if the clock's minute hand only moves after an entire minute has passed.

But seriously, most people will never need anything we "learned" in the last few Years of Math class. I'm going to study informatics, among other things algorithm-scripting, math might come in handy in doing geometry/algebra related algorithms. Sometimes it's interesting to solve those problems, sometimes it's just busywork.

I'm kinda surprised no one has asked for any homework solutions yet. Because I have asperger's, I'm kind of a genius. So I always have to explain everything to the others in my class and I always post homework solutions because I tend to be done much faster than all the others. Two weeks back, my entire grade (about 15 classes/300 students) had to do project work: We had to learn how to use ARCGIS, a map software to process maps and geographical data and visualize these data. We were supposed to upload a pdf file once we were finished to prove that we did it. So all people from my class come to me asking me to explain it to them, guys from other classes I know ask for help, I'm even approached by some girls I don't know at all and they ask me if I'm that one computer freak/genius. In the end, I just took my map file, moved some visual elements, changed colors and wrote the other names on it, made a pdf and sent it to everyone who wanted it. I saved about 40 people from wasting 3 hours on shit that they would never use, and I needed about 2 minutes per pdf. Now some people are really fucking grateful and really fucking impressed.
02-08-2017 06:53 AM
Lady A Offline
Overthinker

Given 4 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Need help with homework?

I've got to ask, what grade or year are you in? Or are you already done with school? (Although there wouldn't be that many reasons why you'd stick around on these forums.)
02-08-2017 08:16 AM
jetpi99 Offline
Rebel

Need help with homework?

I live in switzerland, so things are a bit different. I'm in the third grade of canton school. Canton school has 4 grades and typically lasts from about age 15-19. It's the highest secondary school in switzerland and you need to finish it to obtain a maturity degree. A maturity degree is necessary for attending a university.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 10:08 PM by jetpi99.)
02-08-2017 10:07 PM
 Thanks given by: Lady A
Lady A Offline
Overthinker

Need help with homework?

That's actually extremely interesting to hear! I should really do my research on the different school systems around the world. It'd be nice to see how places differ and what actually works and what doesn't.
02-09-2017 07:58 AM
Lady A Offline
Overthinker

Need help with homework?

Do you happen to know anything about trig or geometry?
02-18-2017 10:12 AM
jetpi99 Offline
Rebel

Need help with homework?

A lot, actually. Trigonometry is pretty easy and I think I know pretty much all about it. Geometry is a much wider area, but I know quite some things about it.
02-18-2017 07:28 PM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

i wonder is liking a subject is the same as not being disappointed with your grades.

I wouldn't really say I like my job, but I'm getting to the point where I'm good at it so its not a struggle. it feels similar. a source of pride, but I would rather get the same benefits from doing something else, but I can't, so I don't.

Follow me on Twitter!
02-19-2017 02:17 AM