RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do if you hate school [WIP]
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I've started it on Reddit, because that seems more likely to be able to actually get found in Google, because Google sucks. Anyway, post suggestions for what to add (preferably on the Reddit post, or here if you don't have an account) Smile

https://www.reddit.com/r/School_Survival...te_school/

The goal is for people to find that before they find SS, and hopefully get them to come here.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-08-2016 03:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)

Maybe you could put this on the Wiki and copy changes to Reddit..
12-08-2016 04:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

That'd make sense if anyone ever actually edited the wiki. This may be more likely to result in something actually happening. Razz

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-08-2016 07:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
craxyguy562 Offline
Pariah

Given 133 thank(s) in 97 post(s)

School wifi says connection is not private.

[Image: gUJMoO7.png]

Hidden stuff:
Homework brings the hell of school home.

Gwedin Wrote:  Dat feel when you get home, realise it's Friday, and itch your buttcrack.
12-09-2016 04:23 AM
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 186 thank(s) in 126 post(s)
RE: What to do if you hate school [WIP]

(12-09-2016 04:23 AM)craxyguy562 Wrote:  School wifi says connection is not private.

tl;dr not a problem

Schools, workplaces and such controlled institutions (as opposed to your home connection) will be using advanced network firewalls that have features like HTTPS inspection. This is essentially a benign man-in-the-middle where the firewall issues its own SSL certificate for the website you're visiting, allowing the encrypted HTTPS traffic to be intercepted and inspected to see if it's allowed by the firewall policy. Computers that are controlled by the institution should be forced to trust the firewall's certificate so that warnings like you see won't appear.

If you're on your own computer, there's no way that it can be forced to trust the firewall's certificate (it isn't really a valid certificate for the site you're visiting, of course, you can only make the computers in your environment believe it is). So in that case you'll see that warning. I think the best way to do it is not to do HTTPS inspection on other people's machines -- guest wifi shouldn't be doing that, for example. But if you're connecting to the same network as the school's computers (usually if you used the ethernet but not in your case it seems) then the firewall would perform the HTTPS inspection based on that, even though your computer wasn't configured to trust the certificate.

If you check the certificate details it's easy to see if this is happening. Reddit has a certificate issued by the trusted certificate authority DigiCert. In Chrome, I click the green padlock at the left end of the address bar (if you're getting the warning, it'll be a different icon). Then it says "Your connection to this site is private. Details" at the top. Again, will be different for you. Click Details, then in the new window there is a View Certificate button. There it says "Issued by: DigiCert SHA2 Secure Server CA". When HTTPS inspection is happening, you should see a different issuer, usually identifiable as the institution whose network you're connected to, but the certificate will still have been "Issued to:" reddit.com or *.reddit.com or so.

(When I say it's not a problem I mean that this is supposed to be happening -- just know that the HTTPS now is not keeping your school from seeing what you're doing because they have intercepted and decrypted it.)
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2016 07:48 AM by vonunov.)
12-09-2016 07:45 AM
 Thanks given by: xcriteria
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
RE: What to do if you hate school [WIP]

Yeah, let's get some outreach going! Reddit sounds like a good place.

(12-08-2016 07:22 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  That'd make sense if anyone ever actually edited the wiki. This may be more likely to result in something actually happening. Razz

Yeah... speaking of something actually happening, I want to use the momentum around ASDE to get a working group together of people who want to help with outreach to young people. ASDE itself is more focused on providing information to parents (and people in general) who are at least semi-curious about self-directed education, rather than specifically doing outreach to young people stuck in school. BUT they very much see the need for this and that millions of people are suffering and they are excited for "us" to do that part of it. But yeah, there is so much to do and I want to find more people to help and coordinate our work.

On that note, Catalyst Learning Network is undergoing some changes to focus its marketing (and some services) on parents who are still immersed in the school mindset even though their kids are suffering in school (like look here.) But there's still the question of how to spread the word about school (and alternatives) to young people, and School Survival is still the only site really focused on that at this point.

So yeah, reddit... I have on my immediate todo list to write some articles about how to talk to parents about school-related issues with the goal of helping them to listen and understand, including how to introduce parents to Catalyst or other parenting coaches who understand school issues and the possibility of alternatives, These articles and services may provide a better path for unhappy students to actually change their situation, in addition to getting support themselves, since parents have so much power to influence things.

So that will at least be something to add to reddit. Smile

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 12:21 AM by SoulRiser.)
12-11-2016 06:32 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Rule_BreakerXVIII

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I can't hate school enough Sunflower 7 13,358 06-24-2017 08:53 PM
Last Post: stevehein
  i hate school so much.. lonelypanda 3 3,983 03-02-2017 12:26 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  I Hate School Guest 13 7,233 01-21-2017 08:54 AM
Last Post: Marlena403
  Is it OK that kids hate school? lisafromjackson 12 10,952 01-03-2017 08:11 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  [Quiz] How much do you hate school? SoulRiser 16 13,591 12-19-2016 12:16 PM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Question: Why, in particular, do you hate school? xcriteria 27 18,929 07-31-2016 09:56 AM
Last Post: DreamRebel
  I HATE SCHOOL SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!! >:( fish20 6 13,605 07-17-2016 12:56 AM
Last Post: Lucas Gallindo
  What to do if you hate school? SoulRiser 4 6,133 11-30-2015 04:15 AM
Last Post: no
  Do children hate school? If so why? MurkScribe 3 4,017 05-04-2015 05:00 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Does your child hate school? lisafromjackson 0 2,705 03-15-2015 08:58 AM
Last Post: lisafromjackson