Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reddit discusses: Catcher in the Rye aided in my transition to adulthood. ...
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 184 thank(s) in 124 post(s)

" ... What book has ever had a lasting impact on you in any way?"

There are a lot of interesting recommendations in here that I'm adding to my list of books to read. Especially this one:

Quote:The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. For me, it perfectly captures that sense of disillusionment that often comes with being in your twenties--that feeling of being a bit lost. Things just keep kind of falling short of what you hoped. You're feeling a lot of nostalgia. But there's also that tiny bit of hope that keeps you going. Eventually the tide will turn. Maybe it's just the particular things I was going through at the time I read the book, but it captured that stage of my life perfectly.

Here's a copy of the page with only the top-level comments (i.e., answers to the question) visible: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fil...3947833762

Full:

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/...sition_to/
12-05-2016 10:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 225 thank(s) in 163 post(s)
RE: Reddit discusses: Catcher in the Rye aided in my transition to adulthood. ...

I miss reading books.

All I can say about Hemingway is that he created a masterpiece with "The Old Man and the Sea" and everything else seems to be contemporarily popular fiction with all-too-similar settings, characteristics and self-insertion by the author.
However, I'm quite narrowminded and slow to grasp the point of a book. At times I have to browse the net just to understand the message in the first place.

Makes my 'critique' a bit bloody invalid, it does.

I'm just a normal functioning member of the human race and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2016 04:55 AM by Username.)
12-06-2016 04:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vonunov Offline
Badgrr

Given 184 thank(s) in 124 post(s)

Sometimes I'm better off not grasping it. I enjoyed Animal Farm a lot more when I thought it was a self-contained weird fantasy instead of a political allegory.
12-07-2016 12:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Catcher in the Rye Double 16 2,164 12-18-2012 03:34 AM
Last Post: Mælstrom