RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new, off-the-wall book puts the education system starkly under the spotlight
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Source/more: A new, off-the-wall book puts the education system starkly under the spotlight | The Canary

Quote:A radical author has something to say in his latest novel on the state of the education system. Joss Sheldon’s third book, The Little Voice, paints a dark picture of just what controlled schooling may do to us all. And Sheldon doesn’t pull any punches with his appraisal of what he calls “indoctrination”.
A work of fiction?

Sheldon, 34, from Barnet, released The Little Voice on Wednesday 23 November. It follows the protagonist, Yew Shodkin, as he recounts his life. The reader is taken on a journey in the book through Shodkin’s early years up to the present day. He recalls the effect that schooling and discipline had on him from a young age, and how it shaped his future. But all the while there’s a “little voice” talking to Shodkin, inside his head. And this little voice belongs to a character named “Egot”.

The Canary spoke to Sheldon exclusively about The Little Voice. He said that, while not autobiographical, there are some striking similarities between himself and the main character:

The book is still a work of fiction, it’s not an autobiography, but I looked in on myself for it and a lot of things in it did happen to me. I did get into trouble at school (I got expelled twice). My parents did always side with my teachers. Together, they did encourage me to behave, and punish me whenever I misbehaved.

Sheldon says that a lot of the anecdotes in The Little Voice are based on events from his own life. But moreover, it’s the theme of conditioning to conform from such a young age that is true to his own experiences. “The narrator, like myself, is an adult”, Sheldon says. “He’s able to look back on his childhood. To understand what happened to him. To analyse it. And to understand why he acted the way he did”.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
12-01-2016 08:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)

Literary analysis Puke
12-01-2016 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Cuts put spotlight on student race questions on school forms James Comey 0 1,419 05-08-2017 03:06 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  San Diego school board puts effort against Islamophobia James Comey 0 721 04-26-2017 04:44 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Why America's Education System Is Obsolete SoulRiser 1 2,003 05-14-2012 09:45 AM
Last Post: UnschoolShqiponjë