RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get back at the system?
Falk Offline
Defiant

Given 4 thank(s) in 3 post(s)

School is possibly the shittiest thing I can imagine. Not only do they at a fundamental level limit what a child can learn, but these days they are becoming more and more tools for the corporate bureaucrats who rule society to take advantage of and fuck over any individuals who might disagree with the way of life they want everyone to live. During my time of living in advanced 'civilization' I have come to realize that humans are no longer free.. We have become cattle. We have lost our most basic way of living, our most ancient way of living thanks to the aforementioned corporate SHITBAGS.

Extremely rich families and/or individuals, executives or businessmen.. Whatever labels it doesn't matter. Agencies and corporations are just resources to them, like with everything else. They want nothing more than to attain more wealth and resources, though this may be obvious already.
These 'people' are an utter fucking disgrace and a cancerous blot on our species, I would be more than happy to risk my life if it meant getting a shot at wiping them the fuck out. But that is wishful thinking and fantasizing, I know. Very few of them operate in the open, very few will ever need to. But I still want to harm them and their infrastructure, whichever way I can.. I have about 1 and a half year left in the education system. I am confined, especially considering the fact that I live in such a stable western nation. But ANYTHING... Anything to harm them... Will be a holy fragment of knowledge to me.

You cannot possibly fathom how passionately and violently I want to oppose these motherfuckers and everything they stand for. Sometimes, their undoing is the only thing that occupies my mind.
11-25-2016 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gwedin Offline
dumb shithead

Given 559 thank(s) in 410 post(s)

become a militant communist or something
11-25-2016 06:00 AM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

I think the best thing to do is get involved in spreading the word about alternatives to school and help create more alternatives and help people learn that school is optional.

Really, it's parents who hold the keys to getting out of school (at least in the US and various other countries), though the system itself is going to have to change too since a lot of parents will just go along with what they think is normal.

But School Is Optional (TEDx talk, Ken Danford) and the more people who realize this and are able to opt out and pursue self-directed alternatives, and spread the word, the more conventional school will look absolutely ridiculous the further we are into the 21st century.

There's now starting to be a concerned effort to promote alternatives, especially with Peter Gray's new organization, the Alliance for Self-directed Education in the process of launching. There's some background in their newsletter #2, A Brief History of the Alliance that also lays out some of a vision for how things can change.

It's absolutely insane how many people are stuck in school who don't even know about other ways learning and life can work, including many of the teachers who themselves are unhappy in conventional schools but just have no idea what else to do.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
11-25-2016 06:50 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII , SoulRiser
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)

Problem is, we're talking about brainwashed people here. You can try to tell the lesser-affected parents that school is bad, but for the rest, which is most of them, there's just not a chance of being able to change their mind.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2016 08:24 PM by sswbm.)
11-25-2016 08:23 PM
Falk Offline
Defiant

RE: How to get back at the system?

I'm not too keen on communism.

(11-25-2016 06:50 AM)xcriteria Wrote:  I think the best thing to do is get involved in spreading the word about alternatives to school and help create more alternatives and help people learn that school is optional.

Really, it's parents who hold the keys to getting out of school (at least in the US and various other countries), though the system itself is going to have to change too since a lot of parents will just go along with what they think is normal.

But School Is Optional (TEDx talk, Ken Danford) and the more people who realize this and are able to opt out and pursue self-directed alternatives, and spread the word, the more conventional school will look absolutely ridiculous the further we are into the 21st century.

There's now starting to be a concerned effort to promote alternatives, especially with Peter Gray's new organization, the Alliance for Self-directed Education in the process of launching. There's some background in their newsletter #2, A Brief History of the Alliance that also lays out some of a vision for how things can change.

It's absolutely insane how many people are stuck in school who don't even know about other ways learning and life can work, including many of the teachers who themselves are unhappy in conventional schools but just have no idea what else to do.

I agree that it is insane. And the fact that the parents play a huge role.. I know my own too well regarding that. I have the utmost faith that we can change if enough people get pissed off though or want change like you say, human willpower really is a thing to fear.

Those links are quite interesting btw, do you happen to have more?
11-25-2016 09:28 PM
 Thanks given by: Azine
Falk Offline
Defiant

(11-25-2016 08:23 PM)Jop Wrote:  Problem is, we're talking about brainwashed people here. You can try to tell the lesser-affected parents that school is bad, but for the rest, which is most of them, there's just not a chance of being able to change their mind.

My parents personally didn't happen to enjoy school either, but they and even the staff at my school will put it as bluntly as "It is simply how the system works."

I think more people than we know realize it, but they don't mention it.. There are safety-checks in place to make sure people think twice before questioning anything. Whatever it takes, even provoking people into action is important. Breaking the conditioning is vital, but it is only a fraction of what needs to be done. We need a radical change, a new age of enlightenment if you will.
11-25-2016 09:38 PM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII , Azine
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)

Be yourself.I know this sounds cheesy AF, but not letting the world break you is probably the biggest middle finger you can give to those who want to see you broken into sheep.

Quote:I think the best thing to do is get involved in spreading the word about alternatives to school and help create more alternatives and help people learn that school is optional.
And this.

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
11-26-2016 03:01 AM
 Thanks given by: Azine
Falk Offline
Defiant

A fair point, and despite that being said pretty much all the time by most people "be yourself" I also find it still rings true. But I can't help but feel as if I could always be closer to something bigger somehow, iunno.
11-26-2016 03:46 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
Azine Offline
Rebel

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

You have said a lot of great points. Sounds like your open to unschooling, or a form of it.
In which country are you located? As that matters for the legalities of homeschooling and unschooling inspired learning centers.
11-26-2016 04:30 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)

(11-25-2016 09:28 PM)Falk Wrote:  Those links are quite interesting btw, do you happen to have more?

I have tons of links on related topics, just a question of how many and what kind you'd like. Smile

Peter Gray's site Alternatives to School is worth exploring, and its blog has many examples of self-directed education and related topics.

Luba Vangelova has a number of really good articles about self-directed learning and changing education, including How do Unschoolers Turn Out?, How Students Lead the Learning Experience at Democratic Schools, and To Advance Education, We Must First Reimagine Society

Peter Gray has various articles on his Psychology Today blog Freedom to Learn, like How Does School Wound? Kirsten Olson Has Counted Some Ways, Education Revolution: Help Us Reach the Tipping Point, The Most Basic Freedom Is Freedom to Quit, School Bullying: A Tragic Cost of Undemocratic Schools, and Seven Sins of Our System of Forced Education

Ken Robinson's talks Do schools kill creativity? and its follow-up Bring on the Learning Revolution!, and his shorter, RSA animate Changing Education Paradigms which is especially good for sharing I think.

Nikhil Goyal's talks like Do we still need schools? and Why Kids Hate School; he's also author of the books Schools on Trial: How Freedom and Creativity Can Fix Our Educational Malpractice and One Size Does Not Fit All: A Student's Assessment of School

Some more talks I like:
- TEDxBlue - Daniel J. Siegel, M.D. (about psychology and metacognition not typically covered in schools)
- TEDxKC - Michael Wesch - From Knowledgeable to Knowledge-Able (about college/education needing to change in a world of digital media)
- TEDxNYED - Will Richardson (critique of school-as-usual from a parent/educator)
- TEDxAmsterdamED - Unschooling: making the world our classroom | Lainie Liberti & Miro Siegel

Spoken word videos:
- Suli Breaks - I Will Not Let An Exam Result Decide My Fate
- Boyinaband - Don't Stay in School

Boyinaband's follow-up video based on his research into unschooling and democratic schools, You Don't Legally Have to Go To School

Jeremy Stuart's documentary Class Dismissed follows a family that chooses to leave school and do homeschooling/unschooling instead along with background information about unschooling; here are some clips from it:

- Unschooling - John Holt - An excerpt from the documentary Class Dismissed
- A Short History of Public Schooling
- Lisa Nielsen - "The most important thing we can teach kids about learning..."
- more excerpts on YouTube

Blake Boles has several books like College Without High School and about alternatives to college, and his book The Art of Self-directed Learning is available free as an audio track; he also has an excellent interview podcast called Off-trail Learning (formerly Real Education Podcast with various people in alternative education

Grace Llewellyn's book The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education is a classic from almost 20 years ago, I heard she's working on a new edition too.

There's more but that is a start. Smile

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2016 08:02 PM by xcriteria.)
11-26-2016 07:47 PM
 Thanks given by: no , Rule_BreakerXVIII
Falk Offline
Defiant

I have made some.. progress.

I have come to a better understanding, the network is about just as huge as I imagined it is.

http://theglobalelite.org/globalists/
http://www.henrymakow.com/committee_of_300.html

At first glance it reminds of conspiracy theories, but the scope of it and all the power these people hold make too much sense for it to all just be bullshit. It's always been obvious IMO, but I think if someone was really dedicated and would stop at nothing to achieve justice they could hunt these cowards down.

Maybe I will think more of it in the future, I don't know. I have other dreams I want to achieve first, like rewilding myself.

(11-26-2016 04:30 PM)Azine Wrote:  You have said a lot of great points. Sounds like your open to unschooling, or a form of it.
In which country are you located? As that matters for the legalities of homeschooling and unschooling inspired learning centers.

I live in Norway. Also known as the last marxist state.
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2016 10:13 PM by Falk.)
11-26-2016 10:02 PM
HawkbitAlpha Offline
Pariah

Given 95 thank(s) in 67 post(s)

Simple. Go in under the cover of darkness, with two small insertion teams and a third on the outside. Then all you'll need is twelve tons of blasting jelly, a medium-sized bulldozer and...does anyone have a giant mole that knows Morse code?

RIP GWEDIN (2013-2017)
RIP URITIYOGI (2016-2017)
RIP NIGHT (2009-2017)
RIP VONUNOV (2008-2017)
RIP WES/THEWAKE (2007-2017)
RIP USERNAME (2013-2017)
RIP HAWKBIT (2013-2017)
RIP SS

"Write me a little report of [my video], so I know you watched it, or you get another warning. One of my other goals is to make this forum a bit of my own class...So, tell me, how you feel about the new rule of having you do homework? Or you get another warning. So, do you want to do this or not?...Please send a PM and tell me if you're willing or not. I will probably give you 24 hours to send the PM. No PM will indicate to me that, no, you don't want to do things in this new way. So, you will be saying goodbye."
-Stevehein, promise-maker and Führer moderator of SJW-Survival, 2017

Hidden stuff:
11-28-2016 03:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)

Adam was sent to this world as a punishment.

remember that using the means of these people will by definition produce the same ends.

like xcriteria said, but I'll make it broader, work to gain and increasingly clear idea of what things should be like, then work where you can however you can.

I have kids and I post on here sometimes. That is where I am at right now

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
11-30-2016 02:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Azine Offline
Rebel

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)

Homeschooling in Norway seems culturally complicated, and there are annual tests, but it is not impossible.
There is a democratic school in Oslo. Democratic schools tend to be a lot better than ordinary schools. They are also trying to start up a Sudbury school.
Sudbury schools are interesting, and Peter Gray from ASDE studied them extensively. Summerhill, and A.S Neill who created Summerhill, is also an interesting person.
Boyinaband dont stay in school song, and his video of "You dont legally have to go to school" all talk about alternative education models. So it is out there. As is unschooling Smile
11-30-2016 05:17 PM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Everything is "out there", the problem is each specific locality and its culture

Follow me on Twitter!
12-01-2016 01:55 AM
Alistoriv Offline
Sanity Not Included

Given 169 thank(s) in 114 post(s)

(11-25-2016 06:00 AM)Gwedin Wrote:  become a militant communist or something

I strongly support this suggestion
http://massalijn.nl/theory/marxism-lenin...ic-course/

RIP GORE GOROTH
RIP SAINTVICIOUS
(03-20-2013 05:08 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Stand up with pride and say "No! I will not be a McDonalds employee. I WILL BE A GARBAGE MAN!"

[Image: USVWSwj.png]
12-01-2016 09:57 AM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)

(12-01-2016 09:57 AM)Alistoriv Wrote:  
(11-25-2016 06:00 AM)Gwedin Wrote:  become a militant communist or something

I strongly support this suggestion
http://massalijn.nl/theory/marxism-lenin...ic-course/

What the

Look at those other articles too

I'm glad that site hasn't been updated since 2014
12-02-2016 04:43 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Become a billionaire then spend a decade secretly undermining the socio-political structure of the country through media propaganda, effective campaign "donations", and targeted social media spamming for your cause.

If it works for Soros, Koch, and Mercer, it'll work for you.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
12-02-2016 02:28 PM
ScarletTheDragon Offline
Rebel

Given 8 thank(s) in 5 post(s)

I know that this sounds weird, but one of the best things you can do is refuse to let school crush you. Go to school and be happy, because nobody should be able to take that away from you. Another thing is to try as hard as you can to be a general nuisance, and make sure to spend all of your passion to do things that will tear down school while you're there. One thing that I did was type up a paper about why I hate school, and I dropped off copies in different classes. It really helped my mood.
02-04-2017 08:07 AM
 Thanks given by: the Analogist
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

hehe

Follow me on Twitter!
02-05-2017 02:06 AM