Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Researching for my Book
the Analogist Online
Connector of Dots

Given 349 thank(s) in 205 post(s)
Researching for my Book

My book is intended to be a brief and highly accessible encyclopedia of educational philosophy.

When reading about Montessori school in particular it is infuriating. It all sounds like fluff. Waldorf school, same problem, but I haven't tried to read too much about them yet.

With the exception of Sudbury it seems that anybody who wants to tear down the walls of Education more typically moves the walls around. They then try to justify their structure sounding almost exactly like School itself when doing so. It's going to be very hard to be fair and objective when defining these types of schools.

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2016 09:11 PM by the Analogist.)
10-12-2016 09:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sadly_Not Offline
Town Idiot

Given 15 thank(s) in 14 post(s)
Researching for my Book

Soooo..how's the research coming along so far? And does this website have a comprehensive list of all the types of schooling? Sorry, I'm just wondering.

Poof! Poof! Glitter Boots!
10-15-2016 11:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 918 thank(s) in 609 post(s)
Researching for my Book

I'm curious how it's going too. I'd be happy to help -- there are certainly various people doing things that totally do away with the traditional model of school, but so few people know about them.

For example, North Star Teens and its Liberated Learners model basically provides a completely voluntary learning center, mentors and community that supports unschooling/homeschooling.

Agile Learning Centers, based on democratic schools but with less of a focus on meetings and rulebooks and with the addition of some practices from Agile software development, is another one.

And there are various kinds of Sudbury-inspired and other democratic schools around where students are given equal power to make decisions with staff, and generally there is freedom to do anything during the day as long as it fits with democratically-decided rules. All classes are optional and with Sudbury, only provided when students explicitly ask for them. There are some videos about one Sudbury School, Hudson Valley, at http://sudburyschool.com/

And, a lot of unschoolers and homeschoolers in general also develop smaller local co-ops, that can offer voluntary classes, meetup opportunities etc.

And I'm working on an online version of these kinds of programs called Catalyst Learning Network, with even more of an emphasis on helping people leave school when their parents aren't so into homeschooling and unschooling.

The shared idea with all of these models is to really start from scratch with the needs of learners (and their families) without the main starting point being the things traditionally done in school. I think if many more people learn about these models and start implementing more of them, it could open up a lot of options for people stuck in traditional school.

I've researched all of this a lot but I think the key is transforming the information and examples into the most accessible formats possible; I'm thinking YouTube videos and yeah maybe some kind of book could be good but it has to get people's attention and get them from "School is all I know" to at least potentially saying "I'm ready to do something new tomorrow! And I have a plan to do so!" even though that is all too rare to hear.

Also there's a fair amount of information about alternatives on Peter Gray's site Alternatives to School, especially in the many many blog posts there about various things people are doing.

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2016 12:28 AM by xcriteria.)
10-16-2016 12:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
the Analogist Online
Connector of Dots

RE: Researching for my Book

Awesome. Thanks xcriteria!! I am gonna check those out.

I don't want to give the misimpression that I actually have time to devote to this. In the few moments I get ever to work on this I mostly realize how much ACTUAL research I need to do. Talking about it is to invite awesome suggestions like yours xcriteria.

Actually I could only think of you when selling the idea to various people (that's metaphorical selling) by saying the book is supposed to be designed as a catalyst, ha!

I want to throw enough interesting and unexpected stuff around without bewildering or inundating. I want to ignite people's imagination so that THEY will begin to form their own opinions.

I might actually be able to get help from a local professor. Allen Bruce Manning in 1984, I think, wrote a PhD thesis studying the economic/job trends of illiterates. Turns out many entrepraneurs and corporate higher ups are actually illiterate, and illiterates make more obeient employees, so really some interesting stuff. If I couls just get my hands on those 300+ pages.

Follow me on Twitter!
10-16-2016 03:13 AM
the Analogist Online
Connector of Dots

RE: Researching for my Book

Let me give a brief example.

One chapter is called "Private School" where I explain that private schools are not a type of school, but that they are simply run by a non-government entity. Depending on local laws they sometimes have great freedom to choose educational content and methods. Whether they exercise that freedom is a matter od choice.

Then one quote I've picked out is from Noam Chomsky about how California's education system is beimg destroyed by being privitized for the rich.

I jusyt thought of a quote from boyinaband about how, measuring success of private school graduates messes up the data because parents who are wealthy enough and thoughtful enough to send their kids there will probably make more money anyway.

The structure as planned so far is brief overviews of ideas like "Reading", "the Real World", "getting a job", and explained and commented on by selected quotes on the topics from major critics when possible, or less productive ones like boyinaband, Allen Bruce Manning, or especially obscure ones like Alexander Ingles

Follow me on Twitter!
10-17-2016 01:56 PM