RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What's next for School Survival?
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

Given 233 thank(s) in 157 post(s)

Hey guys, I've noticed this forum has lagged in activity for the past year I think, Anyone care to at least post what they're up to? It seems as if every one of the 2012 and 2013 oldfafs have either graduated or dropped out of school, and honestly, it feels to me like no one else from that time is really interested in talking about hating school and stuff like that.

I remember 3 and 4 years ago we had a surge of new members and many of them became active, replaced the old community that moved on, but I didn't expect for those of my era to move on and then new membership to flat-line.

I know most of us also moved to FB. I occasionally say things but it's not the same. Sometimes we do have those school discussions but they die down rather quickly. Everyone else is usually talking about different stuff and I won't get into it any more than that.

Down below is an image of Google Trends of the terms "I hate school", "school sucks" and "school survival".

[Image: uVq732H.png]
Ignore the spike with "school survival" in summer 2009. That probably had to do with the Ned's Declassified sitcom by Nickelodeon.

I'd take those statistics with a grain of salt, but after mid-2015 it shows search results for "school survival" tapering off and it kind of mirrors what I was saying earlier.

The image also shows the first 2 terms being searched up a lot during the school year and then dying down during the summer, but with "school survival" it's completely backwards. It does somewhat mirror our summer spikes in membership and then being in constant activity during the school year for the most part; however, I just didn't really see that this past year.

It feels like the forum could use some more fuel. I casually post in ACS's twitter, and I know Soul has started a Patreon, but I'd really like for more to happen beyond these pseudo-campaigns.

On a more personal note, it feels really discouraging and I wish more was going on. I remember xcriteria and Lisa talking about Catalyst and involving SS if I'm not mistaken, but other than discussions I haven't seen much action to put it bluntly. I feel like school stole so much time from me that I'll never be able to get back and it frustrates me greatly at times.

If anything, I hope you guys that have "moved on" at least haven't turned into one of these people...

Seven crappy hours of our lives.
07-10-2016 06:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1467 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Perhaps we have become too complacent. Our accomplishments have been so narrow in scope, especially in recent days - by focusing our efforts on providing support for the occasional person who enters our forums, we have neglected the bigger picture: Advocacy for voluntary education.

The old SS may have been edgy and abrasive, but at least more people knew about them. If we're going to achieve a world where kids can live their lives in relative comfort compared to the rigors of the present day... we're going to have to start making a lot of people uncomfortable.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
07-10-2016 07:02 AM
 Thanks given by: StrixDesmodus , Rule_BreakerXVIII , The man
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 566 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: What's next for School Survival?

I think this place demands too much decorum. I get wanting people to feel psychologically safe but a movement like this needs the spirit of kids who like to shit on everything. Those disruptive freaks are the soldiers. Also, it's too moderate. Public school has to go. Period.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
07-10-2016 02:39 PM
 Thanks given by: Ky , the Analogist , The man
gone Away

Given 21 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

Well, there was a point in time where I rebelled or atleast developed an aversion against school as a kid. That died down a tad bit when I've been brainwashed for not knowing better as a kid, but now that I think about it, even though I know getting punished in school is for the most part inconsequential at best and an inconvenience at worst (leaving actual crimes out of the equation for a reason), I still somehow find myself being averted to try and not get punished by the teachers. Not because of the teachers themselves, but when my parents get involved. They are the reason I'm not much more of a disruptive and outright chaotic fuck when it comes to shit that goes on in school. I'd go on some more, but I'd rather not derail this post with my ramblings again.

Personally, I think School Survival should be balanced or neutral when it comes to abrasiveness or even decorum: I wouldn't really try to be the kind to sugar-coat shit, but I wouldn't want to discourage people out of here either. Basically straightforward and to the point bluntness without being neither nice nor mean about it.

How that would work execution-wise is a different story, though.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2016 04:59 AM by gone.)
07-11-2016 01:52 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

It's just the kids who troll and disrupt and disrespect are probably also the ones who need help. They just don't know how to express it.

Captain Beefheart
07-11-2016 03:47 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1973 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Google is shit and now favours shitty sites like lists of top 10, and useless YouTube videos ahead of SS in the search results. This is a large part of the reason why we're getting less people. I have some ideas for how to adapt to this, but most of it requires other people to make videos and upload them, because I don't like videos, and my internet is slow. And partly I don't really want to adapt to this new shit anyway - I don't like how the internet is becoming a source of "mindless entertainment" and how everything is adapting towards that mindset. I have one other idea that will probably reach more people, but I need to finish some other stuff on my todo list before I get to it, because I can reuse some of that code for it anyway.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
07-11-2016 03:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky , GamerGurl , Jop
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:It's just the kids who troll and disrupt and disrespect are probably also the ones who need help. They just don't know how to express it.
Yeah, the the sensitive people who would be repulsed by people like that aren't important and don't deserve to be here. Cuckoo

Sorry, it came to a point where I just had to choose who I want to support with this site. I can't see any way (for me at least) to support both in the same place. Maybe someone else can, though.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
07-11-2016 04:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Ky Offline
Shadow

(07-11-2016 04:04 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I can't see any way (for me at least) to support both in the same place. Maybe someone else can, though.

Simple: we don't support both in the same place. At least, the exact same place.

If we further stratify our subforums, we may be able to juggle multiple subcommunities simultaneously. We should keep our support forums, yes, but we should also establish/expand forums for protesters and agitators.

07-11-2016 04:24 AM
 Thanks given by: Jop
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I know it puts you in a pickle. But if you're mature enough to treat others with respect you're probably mature enough to know some sarcastic obscene kid shouldn't get your feelings all disrupted. Meet angst with kindness.

Captain Beefheart
07-11-2016 04:28 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky , Rule_BreakerXVIII
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

In my experience, people take advantage of infinite kindness/forgiveness. They take it for granted and assume it's all good no matter how obnoxious they are. Or maybe they take it as a free ticket to be even more obnoxious. There are some rare people who will actually appreciate it and try to be better, but in most cases they either don't want to or just can't. Either way, why should others have to suffer for their issues?

I'm all for having seperate communities for the more 'obnoxious' people, as long as it's not part of SS.

Hidden stuff:
07-11-2016 05:48 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

It's your world

As a teacher I have to embrace whoever comes into my room no matter how caustic. If they bully others I draw their ire toward me not because I like it but to protect their victim. I have to model kindness and correct social behavior so hopefully the more disturbed will learn from my example. I can't just say you're uninvited here. I absorb a lot of that verbal brutality instead. And I'm not going to lie, it hurts. A lot more face to face than online.

But teachers are just pieces of garbage, cogs in an evil machine. This site is an instrument of change.

Captain Beefheart
07-11-2016 06:21 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky , SoulRiser
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(07-11-2016 04:24 AM)Chiron Wrote:  
(07-11-2016 04:04 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I can't see any way (for me at least) to support both in the same place. Maybe someone else can, though.

Simple: we don't support both in the same place. At least, the exact same place.

If we further stratify our subforums, we may be able to juggle multiple subcommunities simultaneously. We should keep our support forums, yes, but we should also establish/expand forums for protesters and agitators.
Here's my 2cents on this particular subject.

The answer to this is simpler than you might think. With any business, channel or political campaign, it is important to have a clear focus. It's clear that Soul wants to focus on a community where those who hate school have a safe space to rant about school and the like; where they won't be ridiculed, mocked or ostracized because they aren't like the "normal" kid who is done as they're told.

It's the consensus that a forum with a clear focus of their platform performs much better than a forum with too many subjects, communities, etc. Those "edgists" and us school-adverse users didn’t mix very well. What happened to this community in 2014 is proof of that alone. Most of the people that came in after the old age SS members were rid of by Soul didn't mix well with that now-DnE group and vice-versa.

SS had to choose a focus, and it was going to be the community which was going to foster a more welcoming community, a base of users who weren't going to abandon the anti-school movement after school, and wouldn't go around trolling or flamebaiting new users because "uhhh MUH FREEZ SPEECSH!" This is what Soul did in 2012 and that is what we need to continue to be doing.

Regardless of what those like on DnE truly are as people, there's no point in trying to profile them. It's clear as day that they aren't going to help with SS's message. They aren't going to give us a real boost in activity and it's not going to help with a split of our audience. They seemed to have either graduated or dropped out of school, and they have moved on.

I'll add on more later. I have to go. Smile

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2016 06:29 AM by GamerGurl.)
07-11-2016 06:25 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(07-11-2016 06:25 AM)SirMarty Wrote:  
(07-11-2016 04:24 AM)Chiron Wrote:  

Here's my 2cents on this particular subject.

The answer to this is simpler than you might think. With any business, channel or political campaign, it is important to have a clear focus. It's clear that Soul wants to focus on a community where those who hate school have a safe space to rant about school and the like; where they won't be ridiculed, mocked or ostracized because they aren't like the "normal" kid who is done as they're told.

It's the consensus that a forum with a clear focus of their platform performs much better than a forum with too many subjects, communities, etc. Those "edgists" and us school-adverse users didn’t mix very well. What happened to this community in 2014 is proof of that alone. Most of the people that came in after the old age SS members were rid of by Soul didn't mix well with that now-DnE group and vice-versa.

SS had to choose a focus, and it was going to be the community which was going to foster a more welcoming community, a base of users who weren't going to abandon the anti-school movement after school, and wouldn't go around trolling or flamebaiting new users because "uhhh MUH FREEZ SPEECSH!" This is what Soul did in 2012 and that is what we need to continue to be doing.

Regardless of what those like on DnE truly are as people, there's no point in trying to profile them. It's clear as day that they aren't going to help with SS's message. They aren't going to give us a real boost in activity and it's not going to help with a split of our audience. They seemed to have either graduated or dropped out of school, and they have moved on.

I'll add on more later. I have to go. Smile

Regardless, somewhere along the way, we lost effectiveness. We have to pick it back up, and that's not something we can do if we focus solely on support - activism is another integral part of challenging the status quo.

07-11-2016 07:34 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Surely the death of the IRC once again revealed a slow-down.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-11-2016 10:34 AM
gone Away

Given 21 thank(s) in 12 post(s)

wait what happened in the IRC (if anything did happen, that is)?
07-11-2016 10:55 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Ppl stopped showing up. It used to have like what 7-12 active folk. Then an average of like 6. Then it just dropped off and slowly ppl only popped up now and then.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
07-12-2016 08:58 AM
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

I thought the IRC has been dead since at least February 2015. Never seen anyone on the IRC the few times I've been on it.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
07-14-2016 01:40 PM
GamerGurl Away
"Queen of Cosplay"

(07-10-2016 07:02 AM)Chiron Wrote:  Perhaps we have become too complacent. Our accomplishments have been so narrow in scope, especially in recent days - by focusing our efforts on providing support for the occasional person who enters our forums, we have neglected the bigger picture: Advocacy for voluntary education.

The old SS may have been edgy and abrasive, but at least more people knew about them. If we're going to achieve a world where kids can live their lives in relative comfort compared to the rigors of the present day... we're going to have to start making a lot of people uncomfortable.
(07-10-2016 02:39 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  I think this place demands too much decorum. I get wanting people to feel psychologically safe but a movement like this needs the spirit of kids who like to shit on everything. Those disruptive freaks are the soldiers. Also, it's too moderate. Public school has to go. Period.
When you guys said this it made me think of maybe posting "triggering" thoughts on social media platforms such as my ACS accounts; stuff like how forcing your kids to go to school when they don't want to is abuse, criminalizing the failure to show up and go to school is abuse, etc. However...

(07-11-2016 01:52 AM)Neohax Wrote:  Well, there was a point in time where I rebelled or atleast developed an aversion against school as a kid. That died down a tad bit when I've been brainwashed for not knowing better as a kid, but now that I think about it, even though I know getting punished in school is for the most part inconsequential at best and an inconvenience at worst (leaving actual crimes out of the equation for a reason), I still somehow find myself being averted to try and not get punished by the teachers. Not because of the teachers themselves, but when my parents get involved. They are the reason I'm not much more of a disruptive and outright chaotic fuck when it comes to shit that goes on in school. I'd go on some more, but I'd rather not derail this post with my ramblings again.

Personally, I think School Survival should be a balanced or neutral when it comes to abrasiveness or even decorum: I wouldn't really try to be the kind to sugar-coat shit, but I wouldn't want to discourage people out of here either. Basically straightforward and to the point bluntness without being neither nice nor mean about it.

How that would work execution-wise is a different story, though.
When it comes to promoting SS and asking for support and advertisement, I don't want to turn others off in that way. I want people to come here and recognize that we're different (although not really because A LOT of kids hate school—we're just vocal and rebellious about it), but that we're not basement dwellers, anti-social, radicals (the bad kind) or freaks or "autists".

(07-11-2016 03:54 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Google is shit and now favours shitty sites like lists of top 10, and useless YouTube videos ahead of SS in the search results. This is a large part of the reason why we're getting less people. I have some ideas for how to adapt to this, but most of it requires other people to make videos and upload them, because I don't like videos, and my internet is slow. And partly I don't really want to adapt to this new shit anyway - I don't like how the internet is becoming a source of "mindless entertainment" and how everything is adapting towards that mindset. I have one other idea that will probably reach more people, but I need to finish some other stuff on my todo list before I get to it, because I can reuse some of that code for it anyway.
I kind of noticed that. Do you think monetary contributions could also help advertise and promote SS like the other website I mentioned in another thread?

Another thing I suggest is maybe changing the homepage of SS? I kinda notice that the community link that sends you to the forums isn't quite noticeable or pops out at you. I joined near late 2012 and I believe I never registered on the forums before the summer because I couldn't actually find the forums. Idk, it's kind of hidden?

As for expanding to YouTube and cinematography, you know how much I'd love to do that for SS and our movement. It's too bad I don't have the support or resources to accomplish that. Cries

(07-11-2016 10:34 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Surely the death of the IRC once again revealed a slow-down.
I honestly never went there lol

07-15-2016 10:35 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Another thing I suggest is maybe changing the homepage of SS? I kinda notice that the community link that sends you to the forums isn't quite noticeable or pops out at you. I joined near late 2012 and I believe I never registered on the forums before the summer because I couldn't actually find the forums. Idk, it's kind of hidden?
I actually changed a whole bunch of stuff on it just the other day. There was a huge FORUMS! link on it before, but I renamed it in case people don't know what forums are because Facebook seems to have ruined that for many people. Laugh
Anyone who actually reads the text on the main page will encounter several links to the forums on their journey now.

Quote:I kind of noticed that. Do you think monetary contributions could also help advertise and promote SS like the other website I mentioned in another thread?
Google and Facebook seem to be the 'best' advertising platforms to use, but I don't want to give either of them any more money to be honest. I'd have to do more research to figure out if other advertising methods could be viable. It may be possible. Still, I don't think it's the best use of money.

Quote:As for expanding to YouTube and cinematography, you know how much I'd love to do that for SS and our movement. It's too bad I don't have the support or resources to accomplish that.
When I'm rich, I'll buy you some basic starting equipment and pay you for each video, if you'll make awesome videos.

Hidden stuff:
07-16-2016 02:38 AM
 Thanks given by: GamerGurl , Ky
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)

From my personal end, my family is taking the front seat, my job factors into that, and my interest in change is with whatever is leftover. I've said to many people that the most underappreciated form of social activism is raising children, so I don't feel the least bit bad prioritizing my family time.

Having said that, I've posted my thoughts on a thread which has recieved many views but no responses. Thats good enough for me to be honest, but I was also intending to print actual physical pamphlets and business cards for myself branding me as an "Educational Consultant" helping interested parties put my ideas into practice. I intend to reference my social media presence on YouTube, Twitter, and SS on my business cards and pamphlets and see if I can't make a lucrative hobby out of these activities.

I feel like nobody wants to engage with my ideas, but I have no idea why. I dont know if I'm coming off as an asshole or offering too much unsolicited advice... I mean I want to do what I can within my capacity, but if I am higher functioning autistic it might explain why I don't personally feel confident in my charisma (since i dont think i am effective at understanding all the non-verbal cues i get)

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
07-22-2016 04:11 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

(07-10-2016 02:39 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  [...] Also, it's too moderate. Public school has to go. Period.

The disruptions needs to be forced upon us in reaction to our sensible counter. Also, if we demand public school be gotten rid of, are we then speaking for everybody who for one reason or another relies upon it to be freed up to earn two incomes?

I think the benefits of an Open Source education I've described with the Three Category System should be popularized and parents left with that sensible alternative which shines a big spotlight on how much school sucks, but does not necessary demand a social revolution, or that you take your kid out of school per se.

When the Amish were imprisoned for their rebellion against compulsory school they eventually won every concession they demanded. Lets force them to jail us for educating our own kids in an effective way. By the time the practice is large scale, they wont at that time be able to stop it.

(07-10-2016 02:39 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  I think this place demands too much decorum. I get wanting people to feel psychologically safe but a movement like this needs the spirit of kids who like to shit on everything. Those disruptive freaks are the soldiers. [...]

People who shit on everything should not be made leaders or relied upon for a movement of this sort. Sensible leaders who can withstand scrutiny to their character or ideas are needed, the follower need not be anything more than humble sheep, really.

All that is needed is for us to invest in our own kids future by figuring out for ourselves how to effectively help them towards becoming sane, rationally, useful human beings. I think Islam is the ultimate answer, but for those disinclined towards Islam I present the secular equivalent heavily derived from the Islamic tradition, my Three Category System

Now I don't know if my candor and pushiness of my idea is shutting people off who don't normally confront disagreements. I'd hate to think I'm somehow just shutting this conversation down.

I know I've only been here since February, but I do believe this small crowd is the best group of people to spread my ideas with. We should not hesitate to start families with like minded people and work for a better future.

But seriously, I don't know if I'm just super active or if I shut down discussions. It feels like I'm just kinda writing blog entries here sometimes.

Follow me on Twitter!
07-22-2016 12:57 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

I've noticed quite often people read long posts like yours and then don't have the motivation to reply afterward. xcriteria has a similar effect on people quite often too. It's not that they don't care, I guess it's just that it's too much effort to formulate a response. Or at least, that's what it usually is in my case.

I don't think it's "enough" for us to just unschool our own kids and then imagine that we're making enough of a difference to the the school system that way. It's better than nothing, yes, but not all of us plan on even having kids, and to me it almost seems like a bit of a cop-out. Almost like the cliche "I didn't get to follow my dreams when I was young, but I'll make sure my kids get to live them out for me!"...

Having kids is a huge responsibility, only people who really want it should do it. And homeschooling is legal in most places anyway... encouraging parents with kids who already exist to unschool them seems like a better use of time/resources to me, if disrupting the school system is the goal.

My personal goal is mainly to provide a support system for people who are stuck in that shitty environment, and surrounded by unsupportive people.

Hidden stuff:
07-23-2016 02:42 AM
HSHARK Offline
Revolutionary

Given 40 thank(s) in 29 post(s)

This shows that the current generation of students have less independent thoughts than before.
07-23-2016 03:49 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Its not a cop out, Im just busy, but here is my position on instigating social movements.

Ultimaly abolishing school would not just take away options from parents and students, but jobs too. What plan do we have for the inevitable catastrophe that would follow. Advocating a method for reform, which is what my TCS is about, is a less disruptive and therefore better option since as Soul pointed out, homeschooling is legal in many places.

You dont notice termites usually until its too late (i actually don't know how termites work) so I think if enough advocacy for better alternatives converts people out of the existing and probably not reformable model, then this would encourage us as individuals to be more activr in such advocacy. If my educational consulting ever materializes, perhaps my model and example could be copied by others.

Expecting or awaiting a revolution is a cop out. There are real things that may be small that we can totally do now

Follow me on Twitter!
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2016 04:15 AM by the Analogist.)
07-23-2016 04:14 AM
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)

Quote:People who shit on everything should not be made leaders or relied upon for a movement of this sort. Sensible leaders who can withstand scrutiny to their character or ideas are needed, the follower need not be anything more than humble sheep, really.

I'd like an end to the leader-follower dynamic, but I know it's not possible for everyone to interact as equals. In a more literal sense, I'd rather walk side-by-side with someone than follow them.

But if people just go along with SSF, like they went along with school, what's the difference? Our goal is to get people to wake up from brainwashing and make their own choices..even if they decide that public school was ultimately good for them, (like all those toppers) as long as it was truly their decision, and they didn't( or couldn't) force others to go along with that..that'd be fine, IMO.

Quote:All that is needed is for us to invest in our own kids future by figuring out for ourselves how to effectively help them towards becoming sane, rationally, useful human beings.

Quote: I know I've only been here since February, but I do believe this small crowd is the best group of people to spread my ideas with. We should not hesitate to start families with like minded people and work for a better future.

I don't really agree with the three-category system- I find it too.... Unclear? Confusing? But the ideas quoted above are great.

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
07-25-2016 11:57 PM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

If it confusing, please ASK ME!! Its on the open source learning thread. I want to argue about it. I have not had anybody question it. Please show me how its confusing. PLEASE

Also, there is nothing wrong with following if the ideas are sensible, but this doesnt make people unequal. Dont confuse these two issues, leadership is merely a function. Following may be needed, maybe competition. I've opened my theory up to debate in a hope to unify debaters, but nobody has participated in debate yet...

If we are unified by an idea, then in a metaphysical way the idea is our leader and we are followers. I compare this to the companions of the Prophet (saws), there are those senior in the tradition or more qualified in regards to rulings, but they were all under Allah, so so distinction was theologically invalid, but in FUNCTION it was crucial.

Also, following and submitting are what the 1st category is about. If something is LOGICALLY proveable, or simply taken as a PRECEPT, then submission is the proper etiquette to its content. Theorizing what belongs here is the purpose of debate, to approximate truth. If we dont debate on an idea, we can never unify under it.

Follow me on Twitter!
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2016 01:41 AM by the Analogist.)
07-26-2016 01:39 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

Disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements disagreements
07-26-2016 05:25 PM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Username, you need to pay the troll toll

Follow me on Twitter!
07-27-2016 01:34 AM
Username Offline
Drunkard

Given 228 thank(s) in 166 post(s)

(07-27-2016 01:34 AM)the Analogist Wrote:  Username, you need to pay the troll toll

The remorseless swing of life's scythe will deliver the torture I'm due for.
After all, he never sullies a promise.
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2016 05:34 AM by Username.)
07-29-2016 05:31 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

(07-29-2016 05:31 AM)Username Wrote:  
(07-27-2016 01:34 AM)the Analogist Wrote:  Username, you need to pay the troll toll

The remorseless swing of life's scythe will deliver the torture I'm due for.
After all, he never sullies a promise.

Watch on YouTube

07-29-2016 05:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  School Survival: The Webcomic StrixDesmodus 6 579 08-21-2016 11:21 AM
Last Post: StrixDesmodus
  School Survival on Wikia James Comey 4 1,025 04-26-2014 06:10 AM
Last Post: (´・ω・`)
  Chat room at School-Survival. Net thatdope1 16 3,104 06-29-2011 11:05 AM
Last Post: BlueChaos
  Deviantart article to be available in school-survival Reptorian 0 834 08-02-2009 12:56 PM
Last Post: Reptorian
  School Survival Wiki xcriteria 4 849 05-14-2009 11:42 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  Ze School Survival Expirement John Tuttle 8 847 01-28-2009 07:08 AM
Last Post: John Tuttle
  FREE School Survival Forums Ads on my two sites!!! Knightsofwar210 2 766 09-04-2008 05:17 AM
Last Post: Knightsofwar210
  a school survival advertisement??? xXThe Damnation ProjectXx 70 4,491 03-04-2007 02:53 PM
Last Post: Rebelnerd