RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. Send me a message if you'd like to keep in touch with me & Steve.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aversion to Asexuality (split discussion)
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1209 post(s)

I can be ridiculously loyal and devoted to friends I care about... the problem is that I worry people will misunderstand my motivations. So I'm not really comfortable being open about it.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-29-2016 11:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: no , Ky
Cianna200 Offline
Pariah

Given 366 thank(s) in 210 post(s)
RE: Aversion to Asexuality (split discussion)

Completely understandable, if I was really affectionate and treated my friend as one of the most important people in my life up to the point where I would sacrifice for them, people would think I would have to be in love to feel this way, it's just plain sad and a little depressing on how society views friendship.
06-29-2016 08:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Ky
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)

I would agree with society if it was a man/woman friendship. In the Islamic context we've got several great examples of devoted friends. Holding hands between men was totally not gay in 7th century Arabia. Here and now people are weird about it

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
06-30-2016 01:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Its still not gay afaik

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
06-30-2016 01:51 PM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

*virtual hand extended*

Follow me on Twitter!
06-30-2016 02:22 PM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:I would agree with society if it was a man/woman friendship.
I am female and most of my friends are male, so this is annoying for me. I also find it difficult to relate to or get along with most females... or at least, the ones who are into stereotypical female-ish things like makeup and clothing or whatever.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
07-01-2016 01:29 AM
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)

(06-29-2016 04:06 AM)Cianna200 Wrote:  Unfortunately, many people don't take friendship seriously, this is a problem.
If a friend is someone you care about, shouldn't you be loyal and devoted?

There is a concept- "nakama" which I've borrowed from shounen manga/anime; it means people you value as much as family despite not being necessarily related.

I was first exposed to the term in Naruto and One Piece; given that I wasn't that fond of my relatives (well, I downright despise them now), the idea that you could have closer-than-family ties with someone, even if you weren't related to them or had a particular reason to be loyal to them, was really attractive to me.

Of course, this influence during my primary school years only made me less likely to put up with bullshit later on. I'm so glad I listened to shounen anime over my parents when it came to people-skills advice.

Quote: I can be ridiculously loyal and devoted to friends I care about... the problem is that I worry people will misunderstand my motivations. So I'm not really comfortable being open about it.

Considering how many people think Free! is gay, I say you made the right call.

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
07-01-2016 01:41 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , Ky
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Soul, you sound like my wife.

All I can say is that if she actually had a really close guy friend other than me, I think it would be reasonable that I would begin to feel weird about it. Maybe that means I'm backward, but I would counter by suggesting that modern society and its values have affected women the hardest which is why you with your actual seriousness and interest in things finds greater companionship among males.

A properly functioning society I think we would agree would not have schooling as we know it with all of its cultish traits, cliques, and anti-intellectualism. I think we woild agree that in a better society we wouldnt constantly be using the female body to sell products that are in no way relevent to the sex they want you to think you'll get, but we find that this is not the case.

I am speaking from values which not only judge the modern relationships people like to form, but the aforementioned institutions which push people in very bad directions generally. I am sure that when my homeschooled daughter grows up she will have the same problems you and my wife have (i.e. girls are annoying), but I am sure you would find either of them extremely pleasant to be around, and me as well since I dont follow or care about sports and I leave the conversation if others wanna talk about some hot girl.

I see your desire for male friendships as a symptom of our societies polluting and destroying women disproportionately to men. Your inclinations are not what I am judging, but I would suggest that the awkwardness of such relationships is because of the fact that you who would be more at home in a better society have replaced what should be with a less than ideal solution. It would be far less awkard if ladies had lady friends, but dang these ladies are vapid wastes of space. I was lucky as hell to find my wife, and she feels equally lucky to have found me. Together we lament about the state of the world.

Please dont take it personal. You know better than any of us that SS is where we can come to express our values which the rest of the world generally rejects.

Follow me on Twitter!
07-01-2016 07:51 PM
 Thanks given by: no , Ky , SoulRiser , Rule_BreakerXVIII
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1467 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

(07-01-2016 01:41 AM)Rule_BreakerXVIII Wrote:  There is a concept- "nakama" which I've borrowed from shounen manga/anime; it means people you value as much as family despite not being necessarily related.

I was first exposed to the term in Naruto and One Piece; given that I wasn't that fond of my relatives (well, I downright despise them now), the idea that you could have closer-than-family ties with someone, even if you weren't related to them or had a particular reason to be loyal to them, was really attractive to me.

Of course, this influence during my primary school years only made me less likely to put up with bullshit later on. I'm so glad I listened to shounen anime over my parents when it came to people-skills advice.
I only started watching Naruto a few months ago. Wish I'd been introduced to it, and shows like it, earlier, because I now see the concept you describe as the ideal form of non-romantic relationship.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
07-02-2016 12:13 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Quote:Maybe that means I'm backward, but I would counter by suggesting that modern society and its values have affected women the hardest which is why you with your actual seriousness and interest in things finds greater companionship among males.
Good point, actually. I wonder why it is that women seem to be so content to accept their mostly pointless stereotypical women things (makeup, clothes, etc)...

Stereotypical manly things vary a lot more, and many of them are actually useful and interesting to know about, like cars and computers and building/fixing things.

Hidden stuff:
07-02-2016 12:27 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky , Rule_BreakerXVIII
Revolutionary

(07-02-2016 12:27 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  
Quote:Maybe that means I'm backward, but I would counter by suggesting that modern society and its values have affected women the hardest which is why you with your actual seriousness and interest in things finds greater companionship among males.
Good point, actually. I wonder why it is that women seem to be so content to accept their mostly pointless stereotypical women things (makeup, clothes, etc)...

Stereotypical manly things vary a lot more, and many of them are actually useful and interesting to know about, like cars and computers and building/fixing things.

Makeup and fashion have their uses too. Don't assume those things are limited only to women. Razz

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
07-02-2016 01:36 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Indeed. Our Prophet (saws) actually used antimony, and I know many Muslim men who still due this. He (saws) claimed very real benefits for using it, that it helps your vision for example.

Well its partly their fault partly not. Our horribly oversexualized culture objectifies women in one hand, on the other hand women dress cute. Therefore social pressure and how EVERYBODY thinks of women in damaged.

When I am at the mosque, even when I see a really hot lady not properly covering herself, something about that scarf over her hair kicks off an impulse that I lower my gaze and do not check her out. When I see women like my mother-in-law who covers her face too, I'm a bit intimidated. I see these customs as ways to combat objectification, effective even for a guy like me who struggles to ignore attractive women.

Follow me on Twitter!
07-02-2016 01:56 AM
Revolutionary

(07-02-2016 01:56 AM)the Analogist Wrote:  Indeed. Our Prophet (saws) actually used antimony, and I know many Muslim men who still due this. He (saws) claimed very real benefits for using it, that it helps your vision for example.

Well its partly their fault partly not. Our horribly oversexualized culture objectifies women in one hand, on the other hand women dress cute. Therefore social pressure and how EVERYBODY thinks of women in damaged.

When I am at the mosque, even when I see a really hot lady not properly covering herself, something about that scarf over her hair kicks off an impulse that I lower my gaze and do not check her out. When I see women like my mother-in-law who covers her face too, I'm a bit intimidated. I see these customs as ways to combat objectification, effective even for a guy like me who struggles to ignore attractive women.

There was this article on the hijab, in our local newspaper; an American-Muslim lady photographed various..kinds of hijab, IDK how to describe it.

The part that stuck with me was this: she described make-up and the hijab as similar, masks to make us feel more ready to face the world. And then she said that she felt more empowered while wearing the full-body black clothing, since it offered her a sense of anonymity and a feeling that nobody was judging her based on her appearance.

And TBH, how many times have I done the same? "Dressing down" to avoid attention? Oddly enough, I can relate.

For a moment I wondered what antimony had anything to do with your post, but a bit of googling reminded me that it was also used to make Kohl, or as we call it, kajal.

-the Internet

To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
07-03-2016 06:17 PM
 Thanks given by: no , SoulRiser