RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Youth discrimination in the British EU referendum
kellie Offline
Rebel

Given 10 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

So the result of the British referendum to leave the EU is going to fuck up a lot of young people's futures there, despite the fact that most of them wanted to stay. Despite the fact that polls showed that 75% of 18-24 year olds voted to stay in the EU. The higher the age groups, the higher the percentage voted to leave.

Accordingly, I wonder if the result might have been different had people under 18 been allowed to vote. A have a few young friends in the UK, and they are all very upset with what happened, but I think a somewhat hidden injustice here is the continued discrimination against the even younger generations who are "minors" and therefore have no say in their own futures.

It bothers me how most people accept this as a matter of fact, without realizing that almost every oppressed group in society has at one time or another been denied the right to vote, for the discriminatory reason of being seen as inferior or incapable of the responsibility involved. Now it's only the minors who are left in this position, and as a society we are nowhere near being able to see this as the oppression it clearly is.

So the young will continue to be treated like cattle to be herded into schools (and sometimes into homes with abusive adults) even if it is against their wills, because we adults "know better" what is best for them - ugh - and of course, they don't have any voice in what happens to them as far as the future of their own country. Feeling so pissed off about all this..

Ahem. Rant over.
06-26-2016 03:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: DreamRebel , SoulRiser
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: Youth discrimination in the British EU referendum

A huge issue like that should never have been a direct initiative referendum. Democracy run that way is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.

However, I don't necessarily agree with you that the outcome of the referendum will be harmful to The UK over the long term. Europe's immigration policy seems pretty insane.

Another point to consider is that the details of this thing are going to take years to iron out. A part of me wonders if it will ever even happen.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
06-26-2016 04:31 AM
Ky Offline
Shadow

Given 1469 thank(s) in 972 post(s)

Also worth noting: The older demographics had a higher turnout than the younger ones. Young people exercising their right to vote is important, but the fact of the matter is that many who already possess that right aren't doing so.

As for the Brexit poll, there is one thing about the result that benefits all sides: People, including young people, are actually starting to talk at length about the issue. Whatever else may come, this is an enormous step forward when it comes to enfranchising and empowering future generations.

Public Service Announcement: First world problems are still problems.
06-26-2016 04:44 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

I was just surprised that they actually let citizens vote for the decision themselves... everything else seems to be up to the people in power.

In theory, it might be better if more decisions were handled this way. Then again... people are dumb, so maybe not. And the votes were really close in the end. Maybe if they redo it, more people will actually vote because they'll realize they can make a difference in this case.

I always liked the EU's concept of people being able to freely move from country to country as long as they're allowed in any one of them. It'd be sad if they stopped that just because of a small percentage of assholes. I think the world would be a better place if the "borders" between lands were not between countries, but between smaller communities, like neighbourhoods, instead. People can manage smaller areas much better than bigger ones.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-26-2016 08:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: Youth discrimination in the British EU referendum

Yes

I agree with that

I wish there could be a type of non-racist tribal anarchism

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
06-26-2016 11:26 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
UnicornLionWolf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 49 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

I'm not really sure what the long-term impact will be for the British people. Some claim that the globalization that the EU is part of only benefits the upper classes.

As for immigration, the EU's policy of moving freely from country to country has positive and negative aspects. One positive aspect would be making things easier for tourists. On the other hand, there have been concerns about terrorists getting into Turkey and then to other parts of the EU.

UnicornLionWolf
GoogleNospamdogeBanana
06-26-2016 03:24 PM
Prankster813 Offline
Rebel

Given 9 thank(s) in 7 post(s)

Personally I support the leave campaign ( but I will admit Nigel Farage is cretin), as I believe the EU is un democratic and only really benefits large corporations and corrupt politicians, I honestly don't care who comes into the country as long as they aren't criminals, so the immigration side of the leave campaign I don't particularly agree with, but I agree with your overall point that we should have been able to vote regardless of our age.

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere" - Voltaire

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever." - George Orwell

"Education is a system of imposed ignorance." - Noam Chomsky

"Blessed are the Cheesemakers" - Monty Python

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend it's whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

"After coming into contact with a religious man I always feel I must wash my hands" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Love thy neighbour turn him in, it's called patriotism" - KMFDM
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2016 04:02 AM by Prankster813.)
07-05-2016 03:57 AM
 Thanks given by: Ky

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  University Discrimination Ilija.m 6 3,500 04-17-2015 11:35 AM
Last Post: Ilija.m
  discrimination craxyguy562 43 15,062 03-15-2014 12:42 PM
Last Post: Gwedin
  Religious Discrimination Squittle 48 14,263 02-15-2009 04:57 PM
Last Post: AWOL
  Youth Rights and Youth Noise boards flcao 7 9,466 04-11-2005 07:42 AM