RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is My Parents Controlling?
JakeAE86 Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)

Sorry I make new threads; I just want an explanation for this reason.

Well let's start off with my mom and my step-father.

They both say they want me to be "happy" and "successful" in school first, but as kids they hated the idea of schooling and still do. They think that I am not really worth going and leaving me be, though they ALL want to leech on my happiness so they can have an object called "money". It sickens me that our youth is being mentored like this, even my online friends think so. That is why I am trying to move out after next summer and be at peace, but they always say, "Your not ready to move out yet, and you haven't shown us your responsible enough to do so."

I hate it, does anyone have a good solution?

My dad though, he thinks school is over rated, but he always says follow your dreams of becoming a game or web developer. While my other parents say, "Go to school and be compliant!"

I trust my dad more. He seems to understand me quite a bit more than my mom or my step-dad. It is pretty amusing, but I WANT my own independence.
06-20-2016 03:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Most parents are controlling, and most of them also think it's a good thing to be controlling to some extent. So most likely, yes, your parents are controlling, but they probably do care about you but are also afraid of the world and worried about you trying to do things that they don't understand.

Game and web development is still in its infancy, and I think it's only going to get even bigger in the future... so I don't understand why they would try to discourage this unless they really don't realize how big those things both already are. School is still too far behind the times to be of much relevance to game or web development, and probably always will be, and frankly, has never been very relevant to much of anything specific.

How are they leeching on your happiness? Whereabouts (which country) do you live in?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
06-21-2016 06:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Avatar Korra
JakeAE86 Offline
Rebel

Given 2 thank(s) in 2 post(s)
RE: Is My Parents Controlling?

I live in the US, they want me to stay with them forever, or how my mom states it.

I am trying to grow, but this school yea brought the worst onto my parents likable state of mind. They banned me from using any technology devices and hacking into game code to learn made it more difficult. They even believed grades are meant the way I acted, but they always thought I was lying to get on my video games

But now I have job close by, don't know what to expect.
06-21-2016 07:57 AM
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

How the fuck do grades show how one acts? I can get straight A's and have insane anger issues (pretty much sums up my 6th grade year and part of 7th grade). I can also be borderline flunking classes yet be a decent person (part of 7th and most of 8th).

Your mom and stepdad are total assholes. I would try and move with your dad if possible.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
06-21-2016 08:27 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnicornLionWolf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 49 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
RE: Is My Parents Controlling?

(06-21-2016 07:57 AM)JakeAE86 Wrote:  I live in the US, they want me to stay with them forever, or how my mom states it.

I am trying to grow, but this school yea brought the worst onto my parents likable state of mind. They banned me from using any technology devices and hacking into game code to learn made it more difficult. They even believed grades are meant the way I acted, but they always thought I was lying to get on my video games

But now I have job close by, don't know what to expect.

To me it does sound like your parents are being controlling. However, there is something that may or may not be true. (I don't know much about your situation so correct me if I make a mistake here).

They said that you've not shown you're responsible enough. They may be saying it in a way that's a pain to hear, but let me ask you this: Can you handle all the things you'll need to do living on your own?

Living on your own you'll need to pay bills (something I myself unfortunately can't do at this time because I can't afford to pay housing, so alas I'm with still living with parents like you), take out the trash, handle food (unless you can afford to eat out practically all the time this'll mean cooking, sandwiches, and/or microwavables), cleaning, etc. It may be possible to get a roommate to split these responsibilities with, but I highly doubt there's someone out there who'll do everything.

If I were you I'd live with your dad if possible, unless you feel you can do all the things that you'd have to do living on your own.

UnicornLionWolf
GoogleNospamdogeBanana
06-24-2016 06:46 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Minds of the controlling adult fish20 8 5,558 05-21-2017 09:24 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  very controlling parents MurkScribe 0 1,545 05-26-2015 09:47 AM
Last Post: MurkScribe