RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Useless Essay
craxyguy562 Offline
Pariah

Given 133 thank(s) in 97 post(s)
Useless Essay

Essays, something I already hate when it is just assigned as a project every so often but when it is used to help teach a simple lesson I hate them even more. Thinking of what to write on a normal essay is really difficult for me and it is even harder when all I have to work with is a simple lesson and or a paragraph or two. Why does school always have to find ways to make teaching so complicated and tedious? Whenever I have to write any essay of any sort I hurt in my brain.

So far this it has only happened to me once. Only a few days ago a teacher had our class write an essay about a simple irony lesson on a small excerpt from a book we read months ago, maybe even last year. Even the subject was totally out of nowhere, it had no relation to we were studying at all. When trying to writing that essay I could not come up with anything to write. I was going to decide to not do it until I got home when the teacher said that are going to come around with a red pen and take points away from students not working so I had no choice but to write sometpoints. Every time I wrote something on the paper I could feel energy being sucked from my body. That essay was eating my soul. This essay ended up being turned in late becuase I took to long to write and spent some time not doing it.

I really hope essays like that are never handed to out again. The only way I could ever write an essay that is even slightly decent is if I have enough material, time, and instructions. That waste of time essay that tuaght me nothing and lowered my C to D does not deserve to live.

[Image: gUJMoO7.png]

Hidden stuff:
Homework brings the hell of school home.

Gwedin Wrote:  Dat feel when you get home, realise it's Friday, and itch your buttcrack.
05-19-2016 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sunbourn Offline
Proud crazy cat man

Given 289 thank(s) in 192 post(s)
RE: Useless Essay

Looks like you have no issue writing an essay when it's something you want to write about, for example, if it's about not wanting to write a drab essay about something you have no interest in. Wink Perhaps there's a writer hiding in that brain of yours, and he's being oppressed by a system which has enlisted him in to writing for school as a slave. Even if it's not pen to paper, we're all writing our own stories in life, and it doesn't have to be the one being set out for us.

Who am I? Who are YOU?
05-20-2016 03:22 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Useless Essay

I know that feeling... I hate being compelled to write about useless crap.

You're a good writer though, so try not to let school ruin that for you too much. School almost ruined art for me... so I know what that's like. And school apparently almost ruined math/science for Einstein.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
05-21-2016 08:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UnicornLionWolf Offline
Revolutionary

Given 49 thank(s) in 35 post(s)

(05-19-2016 02:45 PM)craxyguy562 Wrote:  Essays, something I already hate when it is just assigned as a project every so often but when it is used to help teach a simple lesson I hate them even more. Thinking of what to write on a normal essay is really difficult for me and it is even harder when all I have to work with is a simple lesson and or a paragraph or two. Why does school always have to find ways to make teaching so complicated and tedious? Whenever I have to write any essay of any sort I hurt in my brain.

So far this it has only happened to me once. Only a few days ago a teacher had our class write an essay about a simple irony lesson on a small excerpt from a book we read months ago, maybe even last year. Even the subject was totally out of nowhere, it had no relation to we were studying at all. When trying to writing that essay I could not come up with anything to write. I was going to decide to not do it until I got home when the teacher said that are going to come around with a red pen and take points away from students not working so I had no choice but to write sometpoints. Every time I wrote something on the paper I could feel energy being sucked from my body. That essay was eating my soul. This essay ended up being turned in late becuase I took to long to write and spent some time not doing it.

I really hope essays like that are never handed to out again. The only way I could ever write an essay that is even slightly decent is if I have enough material, time, and instructions. That waste of time essay that tuaght me nothing and lowered my C to D does not deserve to live.

It could be the topic. School involves writing on assigned topics, something that can be a pain at times, depending on the topic. That being said, I actually kind of like writing rants about things. It's a way of venting for me.

There are also times I just write to express my opinion. Sometimes it feels like I should write to express my opinion because I don't feel like people around me are into my opinion, but I want to express it somehow.

But there have been times in my life where I'd drag my feet.

Another thing too, writing in school was actually fun when they had you write fiction. But that's something extremely rare past 3rd grade.

UnicornLionWolf
GoogleNospamdogeBanana
06-24-2016 06:52 AM
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)

I feel like most teachers are morally suspect. They have crappy jobs which I think compel them to eat up time with an essay. I wish choosing more satisfying careers didnt suck so much that teachers who dont care who hate their jobs and their students didnt have to just stay on because the prospects suck.

Its like freaking movie day. Today kids we're watching an episode of the Simpsons where something happens at school because I said so.

I remember being recommended a book because the protagonists were the same age as me...

I have a strongly developed sense of being patronized, so that pissed me off even then, and it still pisses ne off

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2016 03:17 AM by the Analogist.)
06-28-2016 03:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Useless. It's all useless. Dirtbikemike 7 4,339 05-27-2012 05:49 AM
Last Post: Stadium
  No kidding, School is Useless! atdevel 8 5,058 05-24-2012 11:12 PM
Last Post: The Shadowman
  So useless RaiserZero 9 4,333 04-14-2011 01:03 PM
Last Post: RaiserZero
  Relatively useless shite they put you with AnonymousDragonkin 17 5,660 04-06-2009 12:34 PM
Last Post: paulhudd
  WOW how useless are teachers guitarniac 2 1,812 06-02-2007 07:28 AM
Last Post: youvebeenthunderstruck