RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moved post
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)
Moved post

Moved from

http://forums.school-survival.net/editpo...pid=565956

(04-05-2016 04:43 AM)stevehein Wrote:  I am working on an article called "How compulsory school contributes to teen depression" and in the process I have written a little about why I do not believe depression is a mental illness.

I'm confused. How can you write a article on something you''re trying to get the word out on (in this case teen depression) and then don't support it?

(04-05-2016 04:43 AM)stevehein Wrote:  alone, anxious, belittled, bored, censored, cheated, coerced, compared, criticized, deceived, disapproved of, discouraged, discriminated against, disrespected, forced, hopeless, inadequate, insulted, intimidated, invalidated, lectured to, lied about, lied to, loss, manipulated, misrepresented, mocked, not empathized with, not listened to, not understood, offended, optionless, oppressed, outnumbered, rejected, repressed, robbed, stereotyped, stifled, stressed, surrounded, threatened, trapped, unaccepted, uncared about, underestimated, unforgiven, unimportant, uninspired, unloved,
unmotivated, unsupported, unvalued, used, useless.
So what if someone felt most of these on a regular basis, either at school or at home or both?

Then that's a strong indicator that they may be depressed. The bold is the key here.

(04-05-2016 04:43 AM)stevehein Wrote:  Would we call them mentally ill? I don't believe we would, nor should.

Yes they are, and there's nothing wrong with it.

(04-05-2016 04:43 AM)stevehein Wrote:  I have talked to enough depressed teens to know that these kinds of feelings are very common

Because they are depressed and those are common symptoms.

Feeling sad for a brief period of time is something we all go through, yes, but clinical depression is different. It's more than being "sad," it accompanies the following symptoms:

* Difficulty concentrating, remembering details, and making decisions
* Fatigue and decreased energy
* Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, and/or helplessness
* Feelings of hopelessness and/or pessimism
* Insomnia, early-morning wakefulness, or excessive sleeping
* Irritability, restlessness
* Loss of interest in activities or hobbies once pleasurable, including sex
*Overeating or appetite loss
*Persistent aches or pains, headaches, cramps, or digestive problems that do not ease even with treatment
*Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" feelings
* Thoughts of suicide, suicide attempts

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/de...depression

And numerous things can trigger it. Genetics, smoking, alcohol, illegal drug use, abuse and/or neglect at an early age, pregnancy, or simple brain chemistry.

From Steve: I am feeling too much hostile/hurtful type pain to comment on this right now. I might later. But now I just needed to move it from my thread. Whatever I would say would come out sarcastic or in some other way aggressive or hurtful.

I guess I will say in all seriousness that it scares me that Miller is, if I remember right, studying psychology in a university.

I also feel very sad thinking about how many people believe the things he believes. I am getting discouraged thinking about it so I'm gonna stop thinking about it for now. I need my strength to fight these kinds of beliefs. Teens are dying/killing themselves because of these kinds of beliefs.

Instead of people really helping them, they tell them things like this. (It was hard for me not to write "shit" like this...)

Now that I have expressed a little of my pain, I will say I also feel sad for Miller. Sad he is being misled by his professors. He seemed to genuinely feel bad when he posted his "Harsh truths" thread and realized how bad it sounded to some of us. But that was over a year ago now and he/she has stayed in what I call the advanced domestication system - ie the unversity - or that is my assumption anyhow.
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2016 08:10 PM by stevehein.)
04-11-2016 07:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply