RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introversion - Tangent from an older thread
the Analogist Offline
Connector of Dots

Given 434 thank(s) in 261 post(s)
Introversion - Tangent from an older thread

(01-09-2014 12:12 PM)xcriteria Wrote:  If more people were open to understanding others, and themselves, it'd go a long way.

What might be done to change that, beyond changing the notion that grades are the most important thing when it comes to education?

All schooling is an attempt at creating and propagating a culture. In every aspect of its design you can deduce what values are behind it.

Classroom "discussions"

Oh, you mean those drawn out segments of everybody hating my ideas? There is apparently some wisdom to the herd, so outsiders have no protection and are punished. Conformity is clearly their ethic.

Group Work

You mean where somebody more outgoing is superficially judged and made the leader? Then by their emphatic tone the rest of the hive disagrees with your input? Like "no your wrong, were gonna do it this way". That same superficial analysis decides who runs businesses by the way.

Good grief and God Almighty this kind of thinking just pisses me off so much because nobody with actual insight ever ends up in charge. Aggression, effectively throwing others under the bus, being seen, being heard, these are what superficialities determine who is put in charge.

Social Circles

Since most people tend to gravitate towards others of their own type... or do they? Do introverts hang out with introverts?

The only way to help somebody inclined towards personal reflection to grow is by somebody actually close enough to them to understand them. How are they ever going to get noticed in a group of excited hand raisers? Especially nowadays since we're too busy to even know anybody (at least that's the prevailing sentiment among complainers, "busyness" is bullshit, life is extremely convenient lately)

No children left behind

I just tried browsing Wikipedia for Carl Jung to wonder how, if we has actually an INFJ, did he ever become outgoing enough to become famous. Turns out he simply had a chance to discover an academic discipline and applied himself to it.

I now contrast this with the job seeker approach to school. In particular I know a lady who has a masters in public administration. She is a f-ing bitch and literally hates hearing about anything in detail. she has no patience whatsoever for thinking or arguing, complains about every little frustration, complains that her and her husbands $80,000 a year income is eaten up by how expensive living is (I make less than half and have more kids). She is the only person who in spite of our teacher being terrible has managed to understand the laws, rules, and forms we are going over.

Here I am, decidedly left behind.

I would love to become a professor by being a graduate student, but alas school is populated by morons training the job seekers of tomorrow and they have little to no interest in the ideas of others and I don't qualify to study for anything I would want to study and I have three kids so I can't afford to spend time away from them on top of working so whatever genius I would like to contribute to society is simply not possible based on the current barriers. Nobody cares about you without credentials, and even then they only open the door prepared to slam it shut when it seems appropriate.

The removal of limits

Teachers are limits. they can only do so much and will only be willing to do so much. The only options they can give are the ones they know how to or can give you, parents are the same way.

Our own weaknesses are our limits, but the only way to actually challenge ourselves is if we know our selves and have somebody who can support us in that knowing/challenging. To turn your interests or passions into career paths, which perhaps we have to create rather than fit into, we need to think strategy which is done much better with a mutually interested party to bounce ideas off of. This is a role I would never expect even the best of teachers to fill, I need to do this for my children. It is nobody else's job and should never be.

Total freedom to me would be in order. I know how to teach all the disciplines of school better than every school. But perhaps some trouble maker wants the board of education to vet me and my children and subject them to their examinations to see how competent I am. "Get the hell out of my house" I would LOVE to say to such people, as I do not trust a single elected official or well credentialed person to have any idea what education is or how to evaluate it. Open minded jungian types who perhaps existed in the days of old are now replaced with masters of public administration as mentioned before.

Introversion

Arrogance is at the heart of misunderstanding. It is to trust your feelings about a thing above and beyond reason since you are so qualified to feel.

"He doesn't want to do [our] work".

The best response to that complaint is "who the fuck are you?"

Since our method of awarding/promoting/hiring is all based on superficial readings of resumes, earned almost exclusely by invitation/aggression, essentially everyone in a position to worry about young strangers finds that they are awesome and not everybody has those same qualities as you. this is a concern because you are so awesome.

Until people get over themselves and actually shine the spotlight on others, talent will always remain obscure, alienated, and undeveloped.

Purity is to Believe only that which deserves it.
Wisdom is to follow only the Opinion which makes the best use of evidence.
Excellence is to be mindful of all these things in Living.
Follow me on Twitter!
06-27-2016 02:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Ky , gone , no , Rule_BreakerXVIII

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Talking to Older People the Analogist 11 4,973 08-28-2016 12:53 PM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Overcoming society's bias against introversion....at least, for job interviews Rule_BreakerXVIII 1 2,741 10-27-2014 10:50 AM
Last Post: brainiac3397
  Overcoming society's bias against introversion....at least, for job interviews Rule_BreakerXVIII 0 2,116 10-27-2014 05:57 AM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII
  Overcoming society's bias against introversion....at least, for job interviews Rule_BreakerXVIII 0 2,408 10-27-2014 05:57 AM
Last Post: Rule_BreakerXVIII