RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Her Choice of Emojis to Combat Bullying On Instagram
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
12-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Her Choice of Emojis to Combat Bullying On Instagram

Source: 12-Year-Old Girl Arrested For Her Choice of Emojis to Combat Bullying On Instagram – The Free Thought Project

Quote:Fairfax, VA — A 12-year-old girl was arrested and charged with threatening her school and computer harassment after she posted a series of words and emojis online that police considered to be a threat. The Instagram post began with the word “killing,” followed by a gun emoji and the phrase “meet me in the library Tuesday,” followed then by emojis of a gun, a knife, and a bomb.

After the post was made, someone reported it to police who traced the IP address back to the home of a 12-year-old student at Sidney Lanier Middle School. When confronted by police she reportedly admitted to making the post, but the police have not said if she told them why she made the post.

The girl’s mother, who remained anonymous, told reporters that her child had “never been in trouble before,” and that she had recently been a victim of bullying.

“I don’t think it’s a case where there should have been charges,” she said.

This is not the first time that this type of thing has happened either.

This time last year, we reported another case where a teenager was arrested for his use of emojis in a post about a friend of his who was arrested.

Bradley Shear, a lawyer who focuses on social media law, told Mashable that these situations should be judged by context.

“It really comes down to what’s surrounding the matter. When someone sends an emoji, it can mean a whole bunch of different things,” Shear said.

“These cases are only increasing. The more people are using their cell phones and posting on the Internet, the more emoji will creep up as evidence in cases,” he added.

Most legal experts agree that in these circumstances it is nearly impossible to determine a person’s true intent by interpreting an emoji, because of the fact that they can be interpreted so many different ways.

Regardless of context, emojis are a form of speech, and people are allowed to engage in speech that makes other people feel uncomfortable. In each of the cases where people were arrested for using emojis, there was never even a specific threat against any specific person, only vague references that could possibly be construed as threats.

“You understand words in a particular way. It’s challenging with symbols and images to unravel that,” Dalia Topelson Ritvo, assistant director of the Cyber Law clinic at Harvard Law School told The Washington Post.

The vague post made by the 12-year-old girl should be free speech for anyone, at any age, but the fact that she was treated so harshly considering her age, shows how insane the American police state has gotten.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
03-02-2016 01:02 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Quote:reported it to police who traced the IP address back to the home of a 12-year-old student

I'm surprised the cops bothered to trace the IP.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
03-02-2016 01:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: DreamRebel
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)

Somehow I doubt the ones who actually want to resort to murder will leave behind stuff like that. They wouldn't want cops showing up at their doorstep because of some emoji...

Have there been cases where the cops showed up and it was found out that the kid in question actually wanted to shoot up/ bomb his/her school?

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
03-03-2016 03:51 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Probably almost never because cops either don't give a shit when its a serious issue, and give excessive shits when it's nothing.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
03-03-2016 10:39 AM
 Thanks given by: DreamRebel , Prankster813

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  12 year old girl with autism "comes out" at school assembly James Comey 2 2,719 04-27-2017 02:46 AM
Last Post: James Comey
  Yes, I'm a nine-year-old girl. But I'm still a serious reporter. SoulRiser 1 2,161 04-10-2016 12:33 AM
Last Post: no
  Girl Arrested For Swearing Whilst Talking With A 911 Operator To Help Dying Father SoulRiser 7 4,927 05-15-2012 01:18 PM
Last Post: M3116