RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Tick all that apply...
I am easily overwhelmed by strong sensory input.
I seem to be aware of subtleties in my environment.
Other people’s moods affect me.
I tend to be very sensitive to pain.
I find myself needing to withdraw during busy days,into bed or into a darkened room or any place where I can have some privacy and relief from stimulation.
I am particularly sensitive to the effects of caffeine.
I am easily overwhelmed by things like bright lights, strong smells,coarse fabrics,or sirens close by.
I have a rich,complex inner life.
I am made uncomfortable by loud noises.
I am deeply moved by the arts or music.
My nervous system sometimes feels so frazzled that I just have to go off by myself.
I am conscientious.
I startle easily.
I get rattled when I have a lot to do in a short amount of time.
When people are uncomfortable in a physical environment I tend to know what needs to be done to make it more comfortable (like changing the lighting or the seating).
I am annoyed when people try to get me to do too many things at once.
I try hard to avoid making mistakes or forgetting things.
I make a point to avoid violent movies and TV shows.
I become unpleasantly aroused when a lot is going on around me.
Being very hungry creates a strong reaction in me,disrupting my concentration or mood.
Changes in my life shake me up.
I notice and enjoy delicate or fine scents, tastes, sounds, works of art.
I find it unpleasant to have a lot going on at once.
I make it a high priority to arrange my life to avoid upsetting or overwhelming situations.
I am bothered by intense stimuli, like loud noises or chaotic scenes.
When I must compete or be observed while performing a task, I become so nervous or shaky that I do much worse than I would otherwise.
When I was a child, my parents or teachers seemed to see me as sensitive or shy.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highly Sensitive People
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Highly Sensitive People

For some reason I've never heard about this until now, but most of it fits me perfectly...

Quote:Highly sensitive person (HSP) is the psychology term popularized in the 1990s to denote a person having a high measure of the innate trait whose scientific name is sensory processing sensitivity (SPS) (or innate sensitiveness, as originally coined by Carl Jung).[1][2]

Highly sensitive people, who comprise about 15-20% of the population,[3] process sensory data more deeply due to the biological nature of their nervous systems.[1] This depth of processing underlies HSPs' greater proclivity to overstimulation, emotional reactivity and empathy, and sensitivity to stimuli.[4]

Source: Highly sensitive person

There is a test here: Are You Highly Sensitive?

I made it a poll on this thread because it should be interesting to see what the stats look like over time.

More info:
http://hsperson.com/

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
(This post was last modified: 01-29-2016 08:15 AM by SoulRiser.)
01-29-2016 08:09 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Maks
Maks Offline
some nerd?

Given 8 thank(s) in 6 post(s)
Highly Sensitive People

Unsurprisingly almost all of these apply to me. Doesn't help that I'm 99% positive about being autistic (well, having Asperger's Syndrome, though I haven't been officially diagnosed with it..in two weeks though it should become clear(er).).
01-29-2016 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)
Highly Sensitive People

hi sr and others - i feel kind of bad cuz i guess i havent written about this here before.. i found out about it a couple years ago i think and made this page

http://eqi.org/p3/hsp1.htm

i would say that pretty much all of the depressed, self harming and suicidal teens i have worked with fit into the hsp category... i try to tell people about this research almost everyday in my offline life.

i usually explain that because they are more sensitive to the people around them since they are more sensitive to the environment in general. people usually seem to understand this. so i tell them it is important that sensitive people are around people who give them emotional support and fill their emotional needs.

about emotional needs i had another experience in the past few days where i saw how important they are.. here is what i wrote to sr....

---
been going thru a lot here in buenos aires. was learning more about how it feels to be ostracized, ignored, unwanted, unwelcome, unvalued, not cared about. i was in a hostel where i challenged someone's authority apparently and she turned all the staff against me except the co-owner and the cleaning lady... it was educational, but painful. im still processing it, recovering from it.
thanks to sr for ppsting this and hug to sr

---
personal note.

i feel sad to see that priscilla, a very important person in my life who isn't talking to me anymore, let's say, wrote about hsps back when we were still together - hug to p if she wants one.
01-30-2016 10:13 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
Rule_BreakerXVIII Offline
Revolutionary

Given 271 thank(s) in 168 post(s)
Highly Sensitive People

Hmmm...18 out of 27. I was uncharacteristically pissed off that they told us to count our results after checking all those tiny boxes, rather than, say, tallying up the results and displaying them in a box. At least they could have stated at the beginning that we're supposed to count our own answers...that "Submit" button is totally useless.Noo

On another note, I wonder if there is any correlation between, say, high(er) intelligence, introversion and emotional sensitivity.

Don't play chess with pigeons-they'll just knock over the pieces, shit on the board and strut about like they won anyway.
-the Internet

Quote:May the days and months of flowing bitterness be rewarded...
To forget!?

Unforgivable!!
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 07:39 PM by Rule_BreakerXVIII.)
02-03-2016 07:35 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
Highly Sensitive People

7/27

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
02-04-2016 11:12 AM
Sainika Offline
(Divine Subconsciousness)

Given 7 thank(s) in 4 post(s)
Highly Sensitive People

I only checked like 4.
02-05-2016 07:25 PM
stevehein Offline
Pariah

RE: Highly Sensitive Atheists

Here is something new I am working on..

http://www.geocities.ws/hsatheist

it would help me to know if anyone else considers themselves a highly sensitive atheist
02-13-2016 06:04 AM
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Highly Sensitive People

it hurts that no one replied to my last post about my new site.... i feel discouraged. sad. i miss priscilla who would have appreciated/valued this.

i feel discouraged i don't have much connection with anyone here except sr. she wrote to me about the site somewhere else btw. - which i appreciate. but still it hurts no one else commented. i feel a little thankful/relieved no one made some smart ass, not serious comment. but mostly i feel pain for no support, encouragement. i feel pretty alone in this forum these days.

which leads me to another question that i am even afraid to post here because i am afraid of the answers i might get....

i will show u what i wrote to sr...

im kind of afraid to put it on ss. im afraid i will get smart ass answers from someone like ___. i miss talking to priscilla - she would undersstand the importance of that question and its relevance to teen suicide

i have some small hope let's say that priscilla stil reads my posts here. and some small hope she will talk to me again one day.

anyhow here is my question

Does it help to tell someone in solitary confinement "You are not alone?"
02-14-2016 06:44 PM
Trekkie_Aspie Offline
Fanatic

Given 120 thank(s) in 87 post(s)
Highly Sensitive People

You know...lots of this sounds like stuff people on the spectrum complain about.

I am now curious as to whether HSP is sort of somehow related

Spectrum is 1 in 45 which means we expect around 25% of the population to be 'carriers' so....not that far off.

I'm just throwing this out there though.

If I seem rude to you, please call me on it gently.
One thing (among many others) school couldn't teach you.

((Google Asperger's Syndrome))

stupid article
02-21-2016 08:34 AM