RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Standing Up Blog
AnyOptions Offline
Rebel

Given 23 thank(s) in 8 post(s)
My Standing Up Blog

I've been inspired by this website, and the community here has done nothing but support me. I feel like I should give back to the community, so I've decided to make this blog. I have recently decided that I'm done. I will not go to school. That simple. No lying about illness, etc, I woke up and I went "I'm not going to school." Ill recap what has happened so far and add as I can.

Day 1: Thursday, January 7th
I woke up and refused to go to school. My mother caved and called me off, since I have had no sick days. I slept, watched a documentary called "American Blackout," and played some games. A somewhat ordinary day.

Day 2: Friday, January 8th
I continued with my protest of school. Although angry, my mother again called me off for some random reason. I slept, played games, and slept. I also spoke with my mother about other schooling options, but she refused to communicate back.

Day 3 and 4: Saturday January 9th and Sunday January 10
The weekend. My mother seemed to forget all about how I asked about other schooling options, which was annoying. My mother thought my "teen rebellion episode" was over, and I prepared myself for Monday.

Day 5: Monday, January 11th
Today was dramatic. My mother was absolutely angry that I refused to go to school. When I was called off of school, she said that I refused to go. We got a call from the guidance counselor to schedule a meeting. I, once again, prepared myself for what I was sure would be a bumpy ride.

Day 6: Tuesday, January 12th
Large snow storm hit my area, and my school closed for the day. The meeting was postponed until tomorrow, so I still have to dread the meeting. My mother complained all day about how I would go to Juvie, and how people in other countries would love to go to my school. I ignored it, knowing any logical response would be met with her replying "In juvie you won't be such a smartass."

For reference, I live in Ohio. I am 14. I live with a single mother. The area I lived in kept economically growing during the recession, so it is filled with a bunch of rich assholes who think that our school is just the best out there. I will continue to post this every night. If I ever stop posting with leaving a message as to why, I am either in "juvie," in some way, shape or form unable to use my computer, or have had something bad happen and choose not to right this.

Goingcrazy ,
AnyOptions
01-13-2016 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
awesomejuan36912 Offline
Renegade

Given 14 thank(s) in 9 post(s)
RE: My Standing Up Blog

(01-13-2016 08:27 AM)AnyOptions Wrote:  I've been inspired by this website, and the community here has done nothing but support me. I feel like I should give back to the community, so I've decided to make this blog. I have recently decided that I'm done. I will not go to school. That simple. No lying about illness, etc, I woke up and I went "I'm not going to school." Ill recap what has happened so far and add as I can.

Day 1: Thursday, January 7th
I woke up and refused to go to school. My mother caved and called me off, since I have had no sick days. I slept, watched a documentary called "American Blackout," and played some games. A somewhat ordinary day.

Day 2: Friday, January 8th
I continued with my protest of school. Although angry, my mother again called me off for some random reason. I slept, played games, and slept. I also spoke with my mother about other schooling options, but she refused to communicate back.

Day 3 and 4: Saturday January 9th and Sunday January 10
The weekend. My mother seemed to forget all about how I asked about other schooling options, which was annoying. My mother thought my "teen rebellion episode" was over, and I prepared myself for Monday.

Day 5: Monday, January 11th
Today was dramatic. My mother was absolutely angry that I refused to go to school. When I was called off of school, she said that I refused to go. We got a call from the guidance counselor to schedule a meeting. I, once again, prepared myself for what I was sure would be a bumpy ride.

Day 6: Tuesday, January 12th
Large snow storm hit my area, and my school closed for the day. The meeting was postponed until tomorrow, so I still have to dread the meeting. My mother complained all day about how I would go to Juvie, and how people in other countries would love to go to my school. I ignored it, knowing any logical response would be met with her replying "In juvie you won't be such a smartass."

For reference, I live in Ohio. I am 14. I live with a single mother. The area I lived in kept economically growing during the recession, so it is filled with a bunch of rich assholes who think that our school is just the best out there. I will continue to post this every night. If I ever stop posting with leaving a message as to why, I am either in "juvie," in some way, shape or form unable to use my computer, or have had something bad happen and choose not to right this.

Goingcrazy ,
AnyOptions

You got a winter storm going on, right?
01-13-2016 08:40 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
My Standing Up Blog

The grand logic of juvie. "Lets give this kid a criminal record for not going to school so he'll learn his lesson. Oh what? Something about limited employement, discrimination by educational institutions, and overall distrust by all of society because he went to 'prison'? nonsense!"

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
01-13-2016 08:56 AM
 Thanks given by: Rule_BreakerXVIII
Aureate Offline
Renegade

Given 86 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
RE: My Standing Up Blog

I deeply regret that I didn't do something like that several years ago. I have two days of school left now, and it wouldn't help me anymore.

However, you should know it's not going to be easy without your mother's support. Based on what I've heard, you're in for a ride if you keep refusing to go. School systems in my area have a policy of slowly escalating action against truancy, which falls harder on your parents than it does on you.

Essentially, the school system doesn't want to force you to attend; it wants to force your mother to force you to attend. Once the period of somewhat friendly discussion ends and they decide you're just being defiant, you can expect that the pressure on your mother will increase and she will lower your quality of life in response. If this is a long term plan, try to become comfortable without a computer or anything else she can take.

I admire what you're doing, and I'll be silently cheering for you along the way, but know that there is a very refined system in place for breaking your resolve.

Keep us posted and best of luck,
Aureate
01-13-2016 11:23 AM
 Thanks given by: Prankster813
AnyOptions Offline
Rebel

My Standing Up Blog

Thanks for the responses so far Biggrin

Yes, I did have a winter storm in my area, so that delayed the meeting a day.
Currently writing this in the middle of the night because my sleep schedule is off, while playing I Am Bread.
01-13-2016 05:50 PM
AnyOptions Offline
Rebel

My Standing Up Blog

Update! Sorry it took so long, but my internet has been out for a few days.

Wensday, January 13th: I got up and got dressed to go to this meeting at 7:25am. Due to the large drop off line at my school, I did not get in until 7:45. Once I did get in, I sat in the office for 10 minutes until the guidance counselor called me down. I told her I was refusing to go to school because of the environment, and I wished to unroll to attend online schooling. The counselor then, instead of looking into the different options I suggested, began asking if I was bullied, disturbed, depressed, etc. After all of this, we reached an agreement that I would attend school until the end of the year, then I would unroll and go online. I began to get my jacket to leave when the counselor then said, "Ok, off to class with you!" This stopped me dead in my tracks. "Er, I thought we agreed I would start tomorrow," I said. "Yea, well, you need to go to school today," she replied. We then sat there for 20 minutes going back and forth about it. Eventually, they told my mother to leave, and she did. For the rest of the day they put me in what they called the "record room." It was a room for, believe it or not, records. It had a table in the middle. It also served as a teacher's lounge. I could hear the 70s calling as I looked at the wood framed microwave, fridge, and pencil sharpener. Once my grade's lunch period rolled around, I assumed I would be let to go get food. Instead, nobody asked anything, and I sat without getting lunch. At the end of the school day, the last bell rang, so I got up and left.

Rest of the week was just going to classes, drudging on again in the same cycle. It was an eventful week, and I feel like i made a lasting impression on my parents and teachers.

Overall Summary: Went to meeting, made a deal, counselor backed out on deal, put me in dusty room, now I'm going to school until I unroll this summer. GG.
01-17-2016 04:53 AM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
My Standing Up Blog

You've got guts. Salute

Is your mother more supportive now?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
01-20-2016 01:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AnyOptions Offline
Rebel

My Standing Up Blog

Not really. Now whenever I loathe about going to school or do things I normally did, she automatically goes "WE AERN'T HAVING A PROBLEM TOMORROW, ARE WE?" The only impression it seemed to make was the staff saying "We Don't Care" and my mother also freaking out over small things she thinks will "cause a problem."
01-21-2016 02:14 PM
xcriteria Offline
Fanatic

Given 930 thank(s) in 612 post(s)
My Standing Up Blog

Hmm, so why wait until the end of the school year? Because the school staff would prefer that?

It's good to see you're making some progress even if it's slow. What do you have in mind when you finally get out of school, like what you'd like to do with your life?

Peter Gray & allies launching the Alliance for Self-directed Education

ASDE Newsletters: #1 Announcement | #2 History of ASDE | #6 Education Liberation

School Survival & Catalyst Learning Network featured on AlternativestoSchool's blog
“Mom, Dad, can I stop going to school?”

Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking when the Stakes are High

Hidden stuff:
01-27-2016 11:11 AM
Azine Offline
Rebel

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
My Standing Up Blog

At the moment I dont really know what to say, other than that I think you are very brave and good for you that you want to drop out of a toxic school situation.
I have been thinking of what to type for a while now, but I am blanking out. Just wanted you to know you have another silent supporter here. Smile
01-27-2016 11:13 AM
Azine Offline
Rebel

Given 22 thank(s) in 16 post(s)
My Standing Up Blog

How is it going now, AnyOptions?
03-24-2016 10:42 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  I'm going to start standing for the pledge Evasion 18 2,739 04-18-2008 09:52 AM
Last Post: Thotwater