Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pride vs survival
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 283 thank(s) in 173 post(s)
Pride vs survival

I feel like there's a lot of people who say "I'd never do xyz", and think that they're superior because of these standards that they hold themselves up to... but then if you put them in a tough spot, they'd do it. For example: "I'd never steal from anyone!". Well, shit, if you needed to in order to survive, you probably would.

Or they'll say, for example: "If someone tried to hurt my kid, I'd hunt the fucker down and kill them!". But if someone did try to / did hurt their kid, they probably wouldn't end up doing shit about it other than trying to cope with it and keep living. And although I guess it might be comforting to have these beliefs or these ways you believe you could still win back some pride or end up victorious in a bad situation, they seem like they're all mostly false.
10-08-2015 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1903 thank(s) in 1370 post(s)
Pride vs survival

It serves as something of a social facade. The mask one puts on(or shall we say, make up).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-08-2015 12:14 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 541 thank(s) in 321 post(s)
RE: Pride vs survival

I also dislike when people talk about what they would or wouldn't do. That said, I believe that there are certain violations that if they were inflicted upon me or certain loved-ones I would respond with my best attempt to inflict death on the person or persons responsible. I do concede that you never know until it really happens what you would do but I've considered certain scenerios quite seriously and there are certain things I'm confident I'm willing to lose it all over. Talk is cheap, though. Take it with a grain of salt.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
10-08-2015 02:04 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1903 thank(s) in 1370 post(s)
RE: Pride vs survival

Yet when you have no answer thats either or, they think your indecisive or bullshitting. As if it makes sense to make a decision on something withiut knowing all the factors. It becomes a gamble then because if you choose a practical option that goes against what you said, they nag you about.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-08-2015 02:19 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Has the gay pride movement gone too far? DeadorAlive 28 8,836 10-23-2014 04:13 AM
Last Post: redstrain
  Ethnicity/Race, Pride, and Shame Hansgrohe 1 2,751 12-24-2013 12:27 PM
Last Post: no