RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American university professor who says he believes in democractic education
stevehein Offline
Pariah

Given 327 thank(s) in 188 post(s)

Here is what he writes about attendance in his classes:

Attendance is vital. More than two un-excused absences (few absences are excused) will likely result in failure or you will be dropped without notice. If you’re not here to discuss – to share with us your thoughts – you won’t be getting all that you could out of the class. More importantly, your absence (physically or mentally) deprives the other students in the class who rely on you to help foster an atmosphere of open exchange. We each need everyone else’s participation to make this a useful class, so no sleeping, extraneous talking, or reading during lecture and discussion. These activities will be considered absences. Repeated tardiness will lead to failure.

from https://sites.google.com/site/richgibsonswc/welcome/h

Here is the first part of his website:

I am an emeritis professor of Social Studies in the College of Education at San Diego State University. I believe the purpose of education is to build thoughtful action for social justice, that is, equality and democracy. I helped to found the Rouge Forum, K-12 and university school workers, parents, community people, and students, engaged in fighting for a democratic and egalitarian society.

Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

It is really painful to read this guy's stuff. Please don't go to a university. Get out of the system as fast as you can.

I was in a university administration building yesterday and started to be caught in the web of their bureaucracy. It felt like walking out of prison to leave and get back outside on the street. Universities look pretty much all the same around the world. I have been in many of them. They are strange places. Lifeless. Energy sucking. Brain damaging.
10-02-2015 11:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser , sswbm , The man
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

It's a liberal dystopia up in there with the whole "forced open participation via attendance that can damage your grade is the best way to determine if you know the subject matter in a discussion forum".

Some profs are hard core about it, giving specific absences you can use regardless of whether it's legit or not, others might be swayed to lessen the impact if you connect with them(meeting with them and giving the name on the attendance list a face, thus making them less inclined to be willing to fail your ass), and others don't really give a crap as long as you come in for the tests(they're getting rarer).

Quote:build thoughtful action for social justice, that is, equality and democracy
And his solution is to force it upon folk. When I say "Josef" you say "Stalin"!

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
10-03-2015 01:35 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
RE: American university professor who says he believes in democractic education

He sounds pretty full of himself.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
10-03-2015 01:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

I was surprised to learn colleges even started taking attendance (in America). Back when I went to college it wasn't like that. I had classes with two grades a midterm and a final and I only showed up on those 2 days plus the first class where the prof told the schedule. College students are treated like babies now. But on the other hand they also act like babies.

One thing that guy writes is other students won't be able to benefit from your knowledge if you're not there. Lol. Who's job is it to teach the class? This type of education where you put everyone in discussion groups is complete lazy crap. Teachers who object to lecturing probably can't. Students aren't bored if you're skilled at putting the information forth in an interesting and dynamic way.

First he mandates attendance then he cries foul if his students ignore his lectures. How about making your lectures so good that your students CHOOSE to attend your classes and pay attention? If they're sleeping during your lecture there's a pretty good chance your lecture is boring.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2015 09:09 AM by TheCancer.)
10-03-2015 09:03 AM
 Thanks given by: no
Ilija.m Offline
Revolutionary

Given 19 thank(s) in 18 post(s)

(10-02-2015 11:07 PM)stevehein Wrote:  Here is what he writes about attendance in his classes:

Attendance is vital. More than two un-excused absences (few absences are excused) will likely result in failure or you will be dropped without notice. If you’re not here to discuss – to share with us your thoughts – you won’t be getting all that you could out of the class. More importantly, your absence (physically or mentally) deprives the other students in the class who rely on you to help foster an atmosphere of open exchange. We each need everyone else’s participation to make this a useful class, so no sleeping, extraneous talking, or reading during lecture and discussion. These activities will be considered absences. Repeated tardiness will lead to failure.

from https://sites.google.com/site/richgibsonswc/welcome/h

Here is the first part of his website:

I am an emeritis professor of Social Studies in the College of Education at San Diego State University. I believe the purpose of education is to build thoughtful action for social justice, that is, equality and democracy. I helped to found the Rouge Forum, K-12 and university school workers, parents, community people, and students, engaged in fighting for a democratic and egalitarian society.

Does anyone else see something wrong with this picture?

It is really painful to read this guy's stuff. Please don't go to a university. Get out of the system as fast as you can.

I was in a university administration building yesterday and started to be caught in the web of their bureaucracy. It felt like walking out of prison to leave and get back outside on the street. Universities look pretty much all the same around the world. I have been in many of them. They are strange places. Lifeless. Energy sucking. Brain damaging.
It is not only just in the USA like this we also have the same problem here in Europe
10-03-2015 09:19 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(10-03-2015 09:03 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  I was surprised to learn colleges even started taking attendance (in America). Back when I went to college it wasn't like that. I had classes with two grades a midterm and a final and I only showed up on those 2 days plus the first class where the prof told the schedule. College students are treated like babies now. But on the other hand they also act like babies.

One thing that guy writes is other students won't be able to benefit from your knowledge if you're not there. Lol. Who's job is it to teach the class? This type of education where you put everyone in discussion groups is complete lazy crap. Teachers who object to lecturing probably can't. Students aren't bored if you're skilled at putting the information forth in an interesting and dynamic way.

First he mandates attendance then he cries foul if his students ignore his lectures. How about making your lectures so good that your students CHOOSE to attend your classes and pay attention? If they're sleeping during your lecture there's a pretty good chance your lecture is boring.
I go to a smaller college so some classes are often a hybrid of lecture and discussion. Prof is doing lecture then throws out some questions to catch interest, if nobody says anything, they just move on.

This dude is naive as hell though. In many discussion classes I've seen, very few students actually participate at all. It'll always be a specific number of individuals actually contributing and this is from a small college with a class size often revolving around the 20s and 30s(avg is like 24-26. Not sure how the classes and class sizes are determined but it never goes far beyond the 30s).

Unfortunately a terrible issue is when it's college policy for there to be attendance. In my first semester, there was no college policy and thus it was up to professors(and this generally meant really lax rules). Now though, there's a college policy of like 2 unexcused absences(though some profs going around it but they're required to have some sort of policy rather than before when they could opt to not have at all).

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
10-03-2015 09:46 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

STEM will probably always require college. That or years of experience. People generally want certification of some sort to guarantee theyre getting an engineer who at least knows what theyre doing even if they suck at it (why youd spend years on something of this difficulty while knowing you suck is beyond me but...)

Otherwise as I frequently argue, college is not a pipeline to a career. It never should be (though naturally a college graduate will generally have more skills and said skills better honed than a non-gras in most cases) the primary reason. What you study shouldnt be dictated by what jib you want to do (unless its those specific fields that would require knowledge of to do said job). My interest in poli sci is purely academic. People think Im gonna get a poli sci job cuz Im studying poli sci. Im not. Im taking the reliable path of becoming a man of business (or entraprenuer these days). Its got all the freedoms I like, the limitless challenge, and the opportunity to see your hard labor manifest right in front of you (rather than serve as a cog contributing to a greater machine you have no sight or influence of)

My poli sci degree will just sit around and serve its purpose in academia when necessary(perhaps one day pursue a PhD once Ive established a stable business or ten...)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-03-2015 02:33 PM
no Offline
True Scotsman

Given 474 thank(s) in 299 post(s)

(10-03-2015 02:33 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  What you study shouldnt be dictated by what jib you want to do

I like cranes.

Hello, traveler.

This is an ancient account I have not used in a long time. My views have changed much in the intervening months and years.

Nonetheless, I refuse to clean it up. Pretending that I've held my current views since the beginning of time is what we in the industry call a lie. Asking people to do so contributes to moralistic self-loathing. "See, those people have nothing damning! I do! I'm truly vile!"

Because you can never be a good person with a single blemish on the moral record, I thought that simply entertaining some thoughts made me irredeemable. Though I don't care for his writing style, William Faulkner presents a good counterexample. He went from being a typical Southern racist to supporting the civil rights movement. These days we'd yell at him for that, probably.

People are allowed to change their views.

Nevertheless, this period of my life has informed some of how I am today. In good ways and bad ways. To purge it would be to do a disservice to history. Perhaps it will not make anyone sympathetic, but it may help someone understand.

If, after reading all this, you still decide to use the post above as evidence that I am evil today, ask yourself if you have never disagreed with the moral code you now follow. In all likelihood you did, at some point. If some questions are verboten, and the answer is "how dare you ask that," don't expect your ideological opponents to ever change their minds.
10-03-2015 02:44 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Plz u know im talking about the forward sail of a ship!

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
10-03-2015 02:47 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A professor who knows school is dumb? the Analogist 32 12,654 05-01-2017 02:45 PM
Last Post: James Comey
  So my mom is a college professor Prince Rilian 3 2,660 11-04-2011 01:46 AM
Last Post: magikarp