RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Native American student sent home by Utah school for wearing traditional Mohawk
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)

Source: Native American child sent home by Utah school for wearing traditional Mohawk hairstyle

Quote:A Native American child was sent home from school for wearing a traditional Mohawk hairstyle because the school said it was against dress code, WFAA reports.

The Utah second grader is of Seneca and Paiute heritage and chose the hairstyle because it is commonly worn by Seneca Nation members. But this week his mother received a call from Arrowhead Elementary officials in St. George, Utah, saying she needed to come pick the boy up. He was only allowed to return after a Seneca tribal representative sent the school a letter confirming the haircut is traditional.

“It is common for Seneca boys to wear a Mohawk because after years of discrimination and oppression, they are proud to share who they are,” wrote William Canella, a Seneca Nation Tribal Councilor, in a letter obtained by WFAA. “It’s disappointing that your school does not view diversity in a positive manner, and it is our hope that (the boy) does not suffer any discrimination by the school administration or faculty as a result of his hair cut.”

The boy’s father, Gary Sanden, told WFAA that he has two sons at the school, and the older one has chosen a non-Native hairstyle, prompting school officials to ask why they didn’t cut the younger child’s hair the same way. The parents offered to bring in a tribal card, but the school demanded a letter from a tribe official.

“We try to reflect the values and norms of the community,” District official Rex Wilkey told WFAA. “Some things are a little more clear cut, and some things are a little more controversial. You try to manage it the best you can. Kids come in dressed all kinds of ways and it can be an issue for the school.”

Wilkey said he thought the issue was overblown since the boy was allowed back in class once school officials received verification that the hairstyle was attached to his cultural identity.

Sanden said he understands the school’s dilemma with the dress code, but also wondered why he and his wife had to take so many steps to get his child’s traditional hairstyle approved.

It’s not the first time a Native American student was punished for expressing their culture.

In 2012, Miranda Washinawatok was forced to sit out a school basketball game as punishment for speaking her native Menominee language in class at Sacred Heart Catholic School in Shawano, Wisconsin. The school later apologized for disciplining her.

Historically, the U.S. government attempted to eradicate Native American cultures by forcibly removing Native children from their homes and putting them in boarding schools, where they were forced to assimilate into white American culture. Many Native languages are going extinct because the children were banned from speaking them or any expression of their Native culture. Efforts are afoot to revive the languages.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
09-20-2015 03:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dead Offline
Goon

Given 288 thank(s) in 176 post(s)

I don't understand why mohawks are banned in some schools, Native American or not. Unless it's fucking huge or some shit, I can't think of any good reasons.
09-20-2015 03:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)
RE: Native American student sent home by Utah school for wearing traditional Mohawk

I don't care if it's 20 ft long. Every student in every school everywhere should be able to wear their hair however they choose. I don't care if you want to shave it into a swastika, shave vulgarities in it, it's YOUR hair.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
09-20-2015 05:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: schoolsux , SoulRiser , Dikont5 , ComradeDaryl
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
RE: Native American student sent home by Utah school for wearing traditional Mohawk

(09-20-2015 05:30 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  I don't care if it's 20 ft long. Every student in every school everywhere should be able to wear their hair however they choose. I don't care if you want to shave it into a swastika, shave vulgarities in it, it's YOUR hair.

Indeed so. We don't need to discriminate.

Schools, heard of freedom of expression? You should allow it. In hair. On shirts. Or whatever.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
09-24-2015 08:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: ComradeDaryl

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Arizona School-Averse Student Association (AZSASA) xcriteria 7 4,305 01-15-2017 04:07 AM
Last Post: Superkamiguru
  Article: "Is the American School System Damaging Our Kids?" xcriteria 17 9,876 01-12-2017 04:36 PM
Last Post: HSHARK
  Student Says She was Punished at School for Saying, "Bless You." MrAnonymous 6 4,636 08-24-2014 12:58 PM
Last Post: MrAnonymous
  This Is What Happens When A Kid Leaves Traditional Education xcriteria 5 5,018 01-11-2014 08:31 AM
Last Post: xcriteria
  Real School Makers - student-made web series xcriteria 6 4,061 08-09-2013 07:31 PM
Last Post: Trekkie_Aspie
  Justice condemns school and TV station to compensate student exposed in a report Luizao876 0 4,033 04-14-2012 12:43 PM
Last Post: Luizao876
  At least I was free from school when I was at home… NOT! #3 Incollegenow 4 2,729 06-09-2009 11:42 AM
Last Post: terminaadventurer
  Christian School threatens to suspend student... Incollegenow 36 14,124 05-17-2009 03:31 PM
Last Post: Freeman
  Forming a student union at your school Michio-kun 4 3,462 11-21-2008 06:33 PM
Last Post: assaultmedic
  Home-School or Drop Out? HELP! J4mz69 9 4,343 11-19-2008 09:52 PM
Last Post: Puchiko