RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four-day school week can improve academic performance, study finds
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

Given 192 thank(s) in 120 post(s)

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...154409.htm

Quote:The study, published in the journal Education, Finance and Policy in July, analyzed the impact of a four-day school week on student achievement by comparing fourth-grade reading and fifth-grade math test scores from the Colorado Student Assessment Program (CSAP) for students who participated in a four-day school week, versus those who attended a traditional five-day school week.

The researchers found a four-day school week had a statistically significant impact on math scores for fifth-grade students, while reading scores were not affected.

The study suggests there is little evidence that moving to a four-day week compromises student academic achievement, an important finding for U.S. school districts seeking ways to cut costs without hampering student achievement.

"What interested me about our results is they were completely opposite to what we anticipated," said Mary Beth Walker, dean of the Andrew Young School of Policy Studies at Georgia State. "We thought that especially for the younger, elementary school kids, longer days on a shorter school week would hurt their academic performance because their attention spans are shorter. Also, a longer weekend would give them more opportunity to forget what they had learned."

Although the shortened school week did not have a measurable impact on reading outcomes, "the idea that the change in the calendar did not have negative effects we thought was an important result," Walker said.

A number of school districts in the United States have moved from the traditional Monday through Friday schedule to a four-day week schedule as a cost-saving measure to reduce overhead and transportation costs.

Four-day weeks have been in place for years in rural school districts in western states, particularly in Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming. Over one-third of the school districts in Colorado have adopted a four-day schedule. The alternative schedule has also been considered in school districts in Oregon, Missouri, Florida and Georgia.

The four-day school week requires school districts to lengthen the school day to meet minimum instructional hour requirements. Previously, there was a lack of information on whether the four-day school week affects student performance, Walker said.

The researchers have speculated on why the shortened school week positively affected students but there are not enough data to draw definite conclusions.

"We thought the longer days might give teachers an opportunity to use different kinds of instructional processes," Walker said. "We also speculated that a four-day school week lowered absenteeism, so students who had dentist's appointments or events might be able to put those off until Friday and not miss school. We thought there might be less teacher absenteeism.

"My own personal hypothesis is teachers liked it so much--they were so enthusiastic about the four-day week--they did a better job. There's some evidence in other labor studies that four-day work weeks enhance productivity."

Walker notes the results are only applicable to smaller and more rural school districts. Further studies should be performed to understand the effects on urban school districts, she said.
08-29-2015 09:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)
RE: Four-day school week can improve academic performance, study finds

Having a day off a week would save a decent amount of money. Maybe they could just make Friday homework day.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
08-30-2015 12:18 AM
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

(08-30-2015 12:18 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Having a day off a week would save a decent amount of money. Maybe they could just make Friday homework day.

Better yet, eliminate homework altogether. It is proven useless, after all.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2015 04:58 AM by schoolsux.)
08-30-2015 04:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Given 568 thank(s) in 340 post(s)

Students are way past the point of diminishing returns, already.

I can teach much more effectively after a vacation. I think the first move should be to take Wednesday off. That way you would always either have a day off the next day or just had a day off. In my opinion that would be the most beneficial day to subtract from the school week to keep a balanced and healthy mental state.

If you want to be a different fish, you've got to jump out of the school.

Captain Beefheart
08-30-2015 06:15 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(08-30-2015 04:58 AM)SchoolSux Wrote:  
(08-30-2015 12:18 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Having a day off a week would save a decent amount of money. Maybe they could just make Friday homework day.

If research was homework, would that homework be useless?

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
08-30-2015 08:46 AM
schoolsux Offline

(08-30-2015 08:46 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  
(08-30-2015 04:58 AM)SchoolSux Wrote:  

If research was homework, would that homework be useless?

Depending on what is being researched, yes. If you are researching something for a report at school (e.g. an artist), it usually will be useless.

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

(This post was last modified: 08-30-2015 10:57 AM by schoolsux.)
08-30-2015 10:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Unless you find something valuable while researching said artist. Can't deem research worthless without doing it first unless it's a well-researched topic and you're knowledgeable about it.

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
08-30-2015 01:41 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Given 68 thank(s) in 47 post(s)

Ehh, theoretically interesting, probably bad for families where both parents work. (I'm not American, but I'm working under the assumption that most of the US doesn't have subsidized daycare.)

On the other hand I think (??) the people who are most likely to have trouble paying for daycare or w/e for that day are not that likely to have like standard Monday-Friday hours anyway, so maybe it doesn't change things that much.

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
08-30-2015 02:25 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

1) School isn't supposed to be free daycare. Can't afford daycare? Please don't breed. Thank you.

2) Both parents? LOL. Good joke.

Captain Beefheart
08-30-2015 03:26 PM
 Thanks given by: Superkamiguru
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

(08-30-2015 03:26 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  1) School isn't supposed to be free daycare. Can't afford daycare? Please don't breed. Thank you.

2) Both parents? LOL. Good joke.

Both of my parents work.
08-30-2015 05:16 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

And you live with both your real mom and dad?

Captain Beefheart
08-30-2015 07:01 PM
sswbm Offline
Revolutionary

(08-30-2015 07:01 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  And you live with both your real mom and dad?

Yes.
08-30-2015 07:27 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

I thought was just something on TV.

Captain Beefheart
08-30-2015 09:25 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Both my parents work and I also live at home...

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
08-30-2015 10:14 PM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Whether or not school 'should' be free daycare, people have already arranged their schedules (in the long-term sense) around it being free daycare and it's like, not really conducive to some kid's learning if he can't eat because mom had to work less.

(08-30-2015 03:26 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  2) Both parents? LOL. Good joke.
Is it really that uncommon? I live on my own now, but my parents are still married, and so are most of my friends' parents. (Whether or not the mom works is admittedly pretty variable at least in my peer group, though.)

"Do we treat straight public sex differently than we do gay public sex? Of course. Straight people are so proud of their public sex that they named a cocktail after it."
08-30-2015 11:08 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Brainiac

I thought you were grown.

About living with biological folks I forget you guys can write.

Captain Beefheart
08-30-2015 11:57 PM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

"if he can't eat because mom had to work less."

Work doesn't have anything to do with it. Moms get food stamps and assisted living in America. Kids go hungry because their mothers buy steaks and shrimps and sell them half price to buy drugs. People walk through my neighborhood selling discount meat all the time. Kids don't get fed until breakfast at school Monday morning. Anyway, they should provide another form of free daycare and quit pretending they're trying to teach them anything.

Captain Beefheart
08-31-2015 12:03 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

I actually agree with the other form of daycare (although it reduces some of the cost savings).

Not American so, again, I don't know for sure about food prices in the US, but if you were buying groceries with the average American foodstamp amount here (~$29/week) there's no way it would be healthy for a child. Not in the sense you can't eat vegetables like some people who do the foodstamp challenge claim, but in the sense that you are probably eating too many carbs and not enough fat-soluble vitamins. Which is probably fine, in the mid-term for an adult with reasonably good teeth and without insulin resistance (and around what I spent on groceries while saving for grad school) but if you feed a child like that their teeth will probably rot out of their mouth and I'm assuming it's not really good for cognitive skills either.

08-31-2015 01:02 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

Malnutrition in America is a byproduct of parental negligence not lacking social services. Middle class kids are malnourished because they're raised on junk food and fast food. And kids on free lunch eat Skittles and Hot Fries instead.

Captain Beefheart
08-31-2015 02:14 AM
magikarp Offline
Valerie Solanas

Is it like a regional thing? The few middle-class Americans I know irl (most of whom are closer to upper-middle class for whatever that's worth) basically ate fast food in college and at baseball games only and definitely wouldn't feed it to their kids.

I don't really see how you can eat actually healthy on that little money, though. Obviously that can range from eating total shit to eating a diet that's ok in the short term but not ideal, admittedly.

08-31-2015 02:38 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

It's more prevalent in the south and it's by no means the majority of middle class people.

Captain Beefheart
08-31-2015 03:09 AM
schoolsux Offline

(08-31-2015 02:14 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  Malnutrition in America is a byproduct of parental negligence not lacking social services. Middle class kids are malnourished because they're raised on junk food and fast food. And kids on free lunch eat Skittles and Hot Fries instead.

Agreed. There was a stretch for me (I was in 1st grade, so this was when Obama was just elected president) where pretty much every dinner was Wendy's or Arby's. And the occasional stop at Subway. Seemingly. With my mom and my stepfather. But I did eat rather healthy school lunches. Funny, it was my dad who I had more cooked meals with. My mom and stepfather are upper-middle class (and were back then), and my dad is just middle-class (but he was upper-middle class up until his salary got reduced by a third in late 2013).

Seven years later, it is a different story. I only get fast food when my mom is too hurt to cook something (which is fairly often) or it's pretty convenient to get fast food (e.g. I have to stop at the local music store and there is a Taco Bell a little bit down the road from there), which has been alot the last couple weeks. With my dad, it's pretty much a junk food fest. Stop at the Little Caesars 2 miles down the road on Friday night. Head home. Don't leave until Sunday night. Eat mostly junk food in between.

It's pretty rare for my dad to have fresh fruit. He usually gets bagged salad for fresh vegetables (and he usually gets frozen vegetables), but it's very rare for fresh fruit (usually it goes bad before we finish it) to go into the house. I think the last time fresh fruit was in the house, I lived there full-time (so about 6 months ago). Though there is the canned fruit, which is always drowned in syrup.

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

(This post was last modified: 08-31-2015 05:40 AM by schoolsux.)
08-31-2015 05:37 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

(08-30-2015 11:57 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  Brainiac

I thought you were grown.

About living with biological folks I forget you guys can write.

I am...I'm also not predominantly Murikan culture. Young folk in Turkey don't necessarily leave the home the minute they turn 18. They leave when they reach the financial capacity to sustain themselves in an independent household. Usually this is about the same time one graduates from college & gets married.

I find the American obsession over "hurhur you live with your parents" to be absurdly stupid and quite frankly, childish taunts. Not my fault you're family is so fucked up one that you had to leave eh?(to nobody in general but seriously, what's so bad about living with parents as a young adult? It's not like there's a natural law decreeing one should leave their family once they become an adult)

Personality DNA Report

Hidden stuff:
08-31-2015 08:19 AM
TheCancer Offline
Fanatic

As long as you and your folks are good with it I don't have anything to say.

It's just when people come on here bellowing about their parents demanding this or that and then you find out they're 23 or whatever. Then I'm like if you don't like your parents' ways move out, grown up.

Captain Beefheart
08-31-2015 09:00 AM
schoolsux Offline

(08-31-2015 09:00 AM)TheCancer Wrote:  As long as you and your folks are good with it I don't have anything to say.

It's just when people come on here bellowing about their parents demanding this or that and then you find out they're 23 or whatever. Then I'm like if you don't like your parents' ways move out, grown up.

Of course. If you don't like something, try to change it. For example, I am planning on writing a proposal to my school to eliminate homework and a later start time. Okay, I have got it written, but I have not proposed it to the school yet.

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

08-31-2015 09:03 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your Academic Horror Stories DreamRebel 16 6,070 08-06-2016 01:56 AM
Last Post: the Analogist
  Let's improve our grade!!!!!! SuchIsLife 6 3,410 12-24-2012 12:30 PM
Last Post: Asder Miller The Second
  1 week of no school djdkkkk 5 4,175 11-20-2012 11:05 PM
Last Post: LiptomaticMate
  Pro School Week Finished - Completed LiptomaticMate 24 7,732 11-15-2012 02:24 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  1 week school pro only! LiptomaticMate 11 6,780 11-06-2012 07:49 AM
Last Post: SomeRandomHuman
  "academic probation" Sharpie 12 4,667 01-23-2012 02:33 PM
Last Post: Sharpie
  My mom wants me to study at the pace she wants me to study ( Or in a "always, .... Luizao876 3 3,513 12-07-2011 07:55 AM
Last Post: SoulRiser
  how to improve school on.the.edge 1 1,705 06-27-2011 11:48 PM
Last Post: The Desert Fox
  In which I rage about the first week of school. Jordbaer 3 2,571 08-18-2010 04:55 PM
Last Post: Joey93
  If everyone hates school then why won't they improve it? fish20 3 2,851 04-14-2010 02:33 PM
Last Post: magikarp