RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey There, I'm New.
OrpheusJoshua Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)
Hey There, I'm New.

Hey there, denizens of School Survival. I've actually been aware of this site for years but just decided to make an account for some reason. I'm going to be a junior in High School and am finding it to be hellish. I have a case of stuttering and social anxiety disorder. I'm not all to close with family but I do have a couple of close friends. I do decent academically but have started to slump down since May to June.
I've had a number of incidents in school that were agonizing as well as family disputes concerning my opinions of school that probably won't be resolved. I go to a mediocre high school due to my terrible grades in middle school. I have a lot of issues with talking with girls. I also love gaming and anime. Hope to talk to you all in the future!

Personality Is Our Gift.Biggrin
Kindness Is Our Power.Biggrin
Don't fret, there will always be someone or something to help you out even if you may not realize it.Razz
08-09-2015 07:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Aureate Offline
Renegade

Given 86 thank(s) in 36 post(s)
RE: Hey There, I'm New.

Welcome. Are your reasons for disliking school primarily social or structural?
08-09-2015 07:17 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Hey There, I'm New.

Welcome Smile

What games do you like?

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-09-2015 07:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

'Ello there chap.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
08-09-2015 01:39 PM
OrpheusJoshua Offline
Rebel

(08-09-2015 07:17 AM)Aureate Wrote:  Welcome. Are your reasons for disliking school primarily social or structural?

To be honest, it's a mix of both. Though, school has given me a more negative social impact than a structural one. I do disagree with the school structure though. Being in the states, the school system requirements are pretty absurd as well as what's expected of you to get into college. I personally don't desire to go to college but I probably will, due to my strict family and lack of control or other choices. And as for the negative social impact..., well that's a very long story I should probably tell some other time.

(08-09-2015 07:38 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Welcome Smile

What games do you like?

Hey SoulRiser. I'm really into RPGs, obscure and well-known. Though I do play pretty much any other genre with the exception of horror and most FPS's. I also started to really get into The Elder Scrolls(playing through Skyrim now) and plan to start playing Fallout at some point.

Don't fret, there will always be someone or something to help you out even if you may not realize it.Razz
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 01:56 PM by OrpheusJoshua.)
08-09-2015 01:54 PM
 Thanks given by: SoulRiser
OrpheusJoshua Offline
Rebel

Big Grin RE: Hey There, I'm New.

(08-09-2015 01:39 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  'Ello there chap.

Hey there braniac. This may sound a little weird, but I've seen you quite active on a lot of the forum posts. As I said before, I've been aware of this community for years but never made an account. This was mainly because of my sister always checking over what I was doing and I knew for a fact that she'd disapprove of this. But I'm safe now so it's all good. Smile

08-09-2015 02:00 PM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

Plus Ive got a few thousand posts in my counter and a helluva lot of tanks(or thanks but I prefer tanks)

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
08-09-2015 02:08 PM
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)

(08-09-2015 02:00 PM)OrpheusJoshua Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 01:39 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  'Ello there chap.

Hey there braniac. This may sound a little weird, but I've seen you quite active on a lot of the forum posts. As I said before, I've been aware of this community for years but never made an account. This was mainly because of my sister always checking over what I was doing and I knew for a fact that she'd disapprove of this. But I'm safe now so it's all good. Smile

That sucks. My mom blocked School Survival on the home wifi. However, if you use Puffin Browser on mobile devices, you can use School Survival even if it is blocked.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
08-09-2015 02:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
user2021 Offline
Defiant

Hey There, I'm New.

Ayyy anime. I used to watch anime a lot.

Favorite shows?

Also with girls, be playful about everything and teasing without being genuinely mean. Pretty much it.
08-09-2015 02:11 PM
schoolsux Offline
fuck this school bullshit

Given 102 thank(s) in 75 post(s)
Hey There, I'm New.

Also never ask out a girl on her birthday. Trust me.

schoolsux's countdown until school ends:

177 days until i get out of freshman year (aka hell)
1280 days until I get out of prison (aka school)

(as of november 28, 2016)

also Fu school

Hidden stuff:

schoolsux's "k" Count: 60
08-09-2015 02:14 PM
 Thanks given by: OrpheusJoshua
OrpheusJoshua Offline
Rebel

(08-09-2015 02:11 PM)user2021 Wrote:  Ayyy anime. I used to watch anime a lot.

Favorite shows?

Also with girls, be playful about everything and teasing without being genuinely mean. Pretty much it.

Ah man, I've watched a shitload of anime and haven't kept track of exactly how many I watched. But my favorites as of now would have to be "A Certain Magical Index", "Stein's Gate", "No Game No Life", "Log Horizon", "Chaos Head"(though the anime is admittedly a little shit, the Protagonist kind of represents me in some ways) and a lot more. Those are the only ones that popped into my head. Some of those are a bit obscure but I'M A FAN OF THE OBSCURE.Mwahaha

(08-09-2015 02:14 PM)SchoolSux Wrote:  Also never ask out a girl on her birthday. Trust me.

Thanks for the advice, wouldn't want to trouble her with a declaration like that. Though I kind of don't see myself getting a girlfriend any time soon. Especially with the excessively loud and annoying ass girls at my school.Noo

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 02:21 PM by OrpheusJoshua.)
08-09-2015 02:18 PM
user2021 Offline
Defiant

Hey There, I'm New.

Nice nice. I've seen all of those except for chaos head. All decent shows.
08-09-2015 02:23 PM
OrpheusJoshua Offline
Rebel

(08-09-2015 02:23 PM)user2021 Wrote:  Nice nice. I've seen all of those except for chaos head. All decent shows.

I also follow some anime that get released every season. In a way, I'm almost emotionally dependent on anime since it saved me from loneliness. Biggrin

08-09-2015 02:30 PM
user2021 Offline
Defiant

(08-09-2015 02:30 PM)OrpheusJoshua Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 02:23 PM)user2021 Wrote:  Nice nice. I've seen all of those except for chaos head. All decent shows.

I also follow some anime that get released every season. In a way, I'm almost emotionally dependent on anime since it saved me from loneliness. Biggrin

There's some research about this. When you follow fictional characters, you start to relate to them emotionally and feel as though you have some kind of relationship with them. It's called a parasocial interaction. This also works when obsessing over celebrities. Watching your favorite characters can slightly help depression and loneliness.

Although it's usually thought of as unhealthy, it's a smart thing to do if you are having trouble socially interacting with other people. You should try to improve slowly over time though, since having relationships with other people is deeper than watching anime or following celebrities of course.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2015 02:55 PM by user2021.)
08-09-2015 02:45 PM
 Thanks given by: OrpheusJoshua
OrpheusJoshua Offline
Rebel

(08-09-2015 02:45 PM)user2021 Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 02:30 PM)OrpheusJoshua Wrote:  

There's some research about this. When you follow fictional characters, you start to relate to them emotionally and feel as though you have some kind of relationship with them. It's called a parasocial interaction. This also works when obsessing over celebrities. Watching your favorite characters can slightly help depression and loneliness.

Although it's usually thought of as unhealthy, it's a smart thing to do if you are having trouble socially interacting with other people. You should try to improve slowly over time though, since obviously having relationships with other people is deeper than watching anime or following celebrities of course.

Yeah, thanks for the cool triviaBiggrin. Though you're right, I should probably try to be better socially since that's easily the weakest point about myself.

08-09-2015 02:54 PM