RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
venting about my non-future
isolatedsystem Offline
Revolutionary

Given 41 thank(s) in 35 post(s)
venting about my non-future

Hello! Yeah, I just finished school month ago or so and I feel free I guess. I took two exams and in one of them I had a better grade than I normally had in normal classes, I made it! That's the exam that I had to submit in my candidature for university... For a course named 'New technologies of communication' . I'm hoping to enter at that one which is better than going to work or doing a simple technical course. Therefore, I feel like I'm doing nothing productive all my summer holiday... Except watching some movies and anime or playing videogames sometimes... Or a bit of drawing. I became to have aversion to going out even though I go with my friend against my will...
And that's my exciting life, welcome.

Ok. Since I'm hoping I will be accepted at that course, and it's pretty much about programming and design and all that stuff. Is there any advice on this field? I'm thinking on working as freelancer after finishing the course. It's not the easy way for me but I'd rather work alone than being stuck in a office or in a office and talking with a person which is worse lol
(This post was last modified: 09-26-2015 09:33 AM by isolatedsystem.)
08-06-2015 04:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Given 1978 thank(s) in 1208 post(s)
Venting about my future and how I finished school (fortunately)

How much do you enjoy negotiating with people? Because in my experience, there's a lot of that involved in freelancing... and that's why I quit doing it. People can't make up their damn minds what they want and many of them are a nightmare to work with... I personally would only freelance if someone else handled all the BS of talking to the client and dealing with their shit... lol

But yeah, if you're going to do it, definitely have a very solid contract with rules that you enforce about how much the client is allowed to change their mind about stuff, and how much they have to pay you every time they want you to change something.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama
Help & Support - Get help with leaving school, unsupportive parents, and more.
Click here if school makes you depressed or suicidal

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer
EIPD - Emotionally Incompetent Parent Disorder

Push Button for Collection of Useful Links:
Hidden stuff:
08-07-2015 11:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
isolatedsystem Offline
Revolutionary

RE: Venting about my future and how I finished school (fortunately)

I have heard things about working as freelancer before and one of them is about the last thing you said, about changing the work the way the client want everytime is not content or for updates...?
I'm not very confident about going into that field to be honest .
When you say that 'dealing with their bs' seems like you already had 'certain ' situations...
Well I'm mostly chill and patient. Then, being good at what you do is not enough? I would say that I'm not sure how I would handle those situations

I'm back! kinda
08-08-2015 03:34 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Yeah, I got a few indecisive clients. And I had no contract whatsoever, and no experience of dealing with people... so they could pretty much just do whatever they want, and I didn't know how to say no.

In the last case, I had already finished coding all the functionality of the site, everything worked, and I was kinda expecting them to launch the site any day now, but he kept asking me to change one tiny little thing of the design at a time. Then he changed the logo all by himself, and asked me to fix it because he made it not align properly with some other thing. That was the last straw, I just quit and never even asked for my payment.

If I had a contract that stated that he would have to pay me for each individual change request, none of that would have happened (or it would, but I would have actually gotten some money out of it).

Always have a contract... Even when doing stuff for friends, or friends of friends... (that difficult one was actually a friend of a friend)...

Or at least be good at saying 'no' and telling people when they're being full of shit... that might work too.

"If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." - Dalai Lama

Support School Survival on Patreon or Donate Bitcoin Here: 1Q5WCcxWjayniaL92b8GfXBiGdfjmnUNa2
"Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it." - André Paul Guillaume Gide
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination." - Albert Einstein
"I'm pretty sure there's a lot of beauty that can only be found in the mind of a lunatic." - TheCancer

Hidden stuff:
08-08-2015 05:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
isolatedsystem Offline
Revolutionary

I really was expecting these kind of situations. But what you've said made me think more about it...
I'll realize later if I will be able to deal with that kind of profession or in the other hand follow something different after college...

I really was expecting these kind of situations. But what you've said made me think more about it...
I'll realize later if I will be able to deal with that kind of profession or in the other hand follow something different after college...

I'm back! kinda
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2015 07:44 AM by isolatedsystem.)
08-08-2015 07:44 AM
SoulRiser Offline
Site Founder

Maybe you could start with something like Fiverr.com and just let people request one thing at a time for $5 (or more). Shrug

Or split it up and have people pay seperately for coding, design, logo, etc.

If I actually liked making stuff for other people, I could have tried harder to get a system that worked for me. I prefer working on my own projects though, so I'm kinda biased I guess.

Hidden stuff:
08-08-2015 10:58 PM
isolatedsystem Offline
Revolutionary

Yes that might be a better idea, I appreciate your advice Smile

I'm back! kinda
08-09-2015 06:32 AM
brainiac3397 Offline
Machiavellian Amoeba

Given 1983 thank(s) in 1428 post(s)

I actually need some logo work done...course my standards are quite strict(while conviniently avoiding paying top dollar for graphic design cuz fuck it). I keep getting coupon from vistaprint on design. Supposedly they do a thing where you outline what you want, and a certain number of artists provide prototypes you can choose from (more you pay, more artists y prototypes).

Some setup like that might not be bad either.

Personality DNA Report
(06-14-2013 08:02 AM)Potato Wrote:  watch the fuq out, we've got an "intellectual" over here.

Hidden stuff:
[Image: watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme-240x180.png]
Brainiac3397's Mental Health Status Log Wrote:[Image: l0Iy5HKskJO5XD3Wg.gif]
08-09-2015 01:41 PM
OrpheusJoshua Offline
Rebel

Given 1 thank(s) in 1 post(s)

This is some grown up shit so I'm a bitConfused and Noo. But since, I have a friend who wants to be an Indie game developer and since I started taking a small programming class, I can sort of understand your situation though the fields are quite different. Though this may not help out much, just don't let frustration judge your future decisions since I've seen and heard how frustrating programming can be. FIGHT ON!Pirate

Personality Is Our Gift.Biggrin
Kindness Is Our Power.Biggrin
Don't fret, there will always be someone or something to help you out even if you may not realize it.Razz
08-09-2015 02:43 PM