RIP School Survival Forums
August 2001 - June 2017

The School Survival Forums are permanently retired. If you need help with quitting school, unsupportive parents or anything else, there is a list of resources on the Help Page.

If you want to write about your experiences in school, you can write on our blog.

To everyone who joined these forums at some point, and got discouraged by the negativity and left after a while (or even got literally scared off): I'm sorry.

I wasn't good enough at encouraging people to be kinder, and removing people who refuse to be kind. Encouraging people is hard, and removing people creates conflict, and I hate conflict... so that's why I wasn't better at it.

I was a very, very sensitive teen. The atmosphere of this forum as it is now, if it had existed in 1996, would probably have upset me far more than it would have helped.

I can handle quite a lot of negativity and even abuse now, but that isn't the point. I want to help people. I want to help the people who need it the most, and I want to help people like the 1996 version of me.

I'm still figuring out the best way to do that, but as it is now, these forums are doing more harm than good, and I can't keep running them.

Thank you to the few people who have tried to understand my point of view so far. I really, really appreciate you guys. You are beautiful people.

Everyone else: If after everything I've said so far, you still don't understand my motivations, I think it's unlikely that you will. We're just too different. Maybe someday in the future it might make sense, but until then, there's no point in arguing about it. I don't have the time or the energy for arguing anymore. I will focus my time and energy on people who support me, and those who need help.

-SoulRiser

The forums are mostly read-only and are in a maintenance/testing phase, before being permanently archived. Please use this time to get the contact details of people you'd like to keep in touch with. My contact details are here.

Please do not make a mirror copy of the forums in their current state - things will still change, and some people have requested to be able to edit or delete some of their personal info.

Poll: Would you go and try it out?
NO
YES
MAYBE
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to train your teacher (from MIT professor, serious)
Deweirdifier Offline
Defiant

Given 0 thank(s) in 0 post(s)
How to train your teacher (from MIT professor, serious)

Pavlovian conditioning, you wring a bell, give food to dog, dog salivates. Do this enough times, when you'll ring the bell, the dog will salivate. Its a classic experiment, you most probably know about it.

You say, yea we know, so what? Why you are saying this here? I don't see the link with teachers. Weeeelllll this mechanism doesn't work the way you think, so here how you can apply this on teachers.

What teachers like? They like to see there students interested, asking questions, taking notes, being polite, not being disruptive, etc....
What teachers like? They don't like to see there class disrupted ,rude student, rebellious students, etc....

Next, you decide what trick they are supposed to do when you reward them( like a dog Biggrin). The "tricks" are stuff like, standing in a particular place in class, scratching his nose, wiping clean his glasses, blinking, crossing his arms, etc... You get the point. Every time, the teacher does what you want to reinforce, the whole( at least a lot of students) class reinforces it with something from the list that the teacher likes. If you want to make him stop doing certain things (like the "tricks"), the class is doing stuff from the list that he doesn't like.

When you finished training him, when you give him the reward, he will unconsciously do what you decided he should do. Scratch his nose, weep clean his glasses, etc......

Spread the the good word please. Cool

Open questions to elaborate on. Is it more disruptive to tell him that you are doing this? If he knows, he will try to resist? How is he going to trust the class reactions then? His mistrust would impact in what way his teachings? If he doesn't , he will be more manipulable? What kind of sanctions can the school come up with? How are they going to differentiate real from manipulative reactions for sanction? You'll be risking sanctions if you do what teachers like in class?.....
07-24-2010 09:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)
Re: How to train your teacher (from MIT professor, serious)

I have a vague understanding of how these things work. But I'm pretty sure telling them outright wouldn't work. It wouldn't do much good per say (unless the "trick" is when they say "no homework today"), but it might be fun to try.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
07-24-2010 10:08 AM
Deweirdifier Offline
Defiant

CrayolaColours Wrote:I have a vague understanding of how these things work. But I'm pretty sure telling them outright wouldn't work. It wouldn't do much good per say (unless the "trick" is when they say "no homework today"), but it might be fun to try.

It was tried during university lectures, it works, its not just theory. The professor ask the class to do it on him Smile

Think about the implications if you tell the teacher that the class is doing this. This is not a friendly move as with the professor.

I would like to see this added in the site somewhere.
07-24-2010 12:09 PM
CrayolaColours Offline
Fanatic

Given 28 thank(s) in 25 post(s)

Yeah, but they'd never catch on if you didn't tell them, so it's moot.

[Image: True-Blood-Banner-true-blood-2196368-500-82.jpg]
Faith o' Meter
-{|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||}-
Quote:Riddle me this, riddle me that. Give me a straight answer, you pain in the ass cat.
07-24-2010 12:34 PM
Deweirdifier Offline
Defiant

Now that i think about it. The trick works if a significant number of students are playing the game. With that many people, it will not be long until it reaches the teachers.

Like i said earlier, i would like to see this added in the site somewhere. Some one want to propose a text and a location? We will discuss it a little bit.
07-24-2010 01:23 PM